Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Village School

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think 10 is the max you can get (if you were here from the start and got it at every opportunity). At level 5, in combination with your mayor's house, you can get 696/day. Which is considerable (giving you do nothing, no re-build, no buff, just log on).

Lets do some math:
    600 Settlers = 15,000 Bread / day = 7.5 Level 5 Bakeries + 15 Mills + 30 Farms

So, pretending we don't do silos and just refill the wheat field, that amounts to 52.5 Buildings! (This of course reduces if you buff the chain, but then you pay for the buffs and have to spend time buffing/etc.)

Also, 15,000 bread is at least 400gc (on NewFoundland). 400gc/day over a 30 day period = 12,000 gc/month. Again, nothing to sneeze at.

And the beauty is, you simply 'leave it alone' and it works for you: No rebuilding, no buffing, nada.

So the real question is: Why ain't you buying some ?!

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by TotoMok View Post
    I think 10 is the max you can get (if you were here from the start and got it at every opportunity). At level 5, in combination with your mayor's house, you can get 696/day. Which is considerable (giving you do nothing, no re-build, no buff, just log on).

Lets do some math:
    600 Settlers = 15,000 Bread / day = 7.5 Level 5 Bakeries + 15 Mills + 30 Farms

So, pretending we don't do silos and just refill the wheat field, that amounts to 52.5 Buildings! (This of course reduces if you buff the chain, but then you pay for the buffs and have to spend time buffing/etc.)

Also, 15,000 bread is at least 400gc (on NewFoundland). 400gc/day over a 30 day period = 12,000 gc/month. Again, nothing to sneeze at.

And the beauty is, you simply 'leave it alone' and it works for you: No rebuilding, no buffing, nada.

So the real question is: Why ain't you buying some ?!
    BB really failed with the schools. The first version could not be upgraded and at level one, they were pretty much useless. 12 extra settlers per day wasn't really worth all the resources needed to buy them. Then they changed them afterwards and all of a sudden they became very useful. The jump from 12 to 60 settlers per day is highly significant. But that screwed over a lot of players who hadn't bothered to buy a previously useless building.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    No, the people who didn't buy one to begin with were not smart enough to plan and take into consideration the value of a limited time offer. It's a very simple premise here:

Is the building limited in its availability? Buy it! (You can even keep it in star menu if you are worried about space)
    Does the building have any ability that can not otherwise be obtained? Buy it! (Aside from Mayor's house, there is no other way to generate settlers (not talking about bread chain)).

To me, it was a 'duh, no brainer, every little helps'. And boy did it help :P

World
    Newfoundland
    morning, isn't the max 11?

3 from Halloween 2013
    3 from Halloween 2014
    3 from the merchant
    1 from the world cup calendar
    1 from the world cup calendar (people who rushed opening all the doors with gems on that first day when it was bugged)

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    So, 10 without abusing bugs :P

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by TotoMok View Post
    No, the people who didn't buy one to begin with were not smart enough to plan and take into consideration the value of a limited time offer. It's a very simple premise here:

Is the building limited in its availability? Buy it! (You can even keep it in star menu if you are worried about space)
    Does the building have any ability that can not otherwise be obtained? Buy it! (Aside from Mayor's house, there is no other way to generate settlers (not talking about bread chain)).

To me, it was a 'duh, no brainer, every little helps'. And boy did it help :P
    No you really shouldn't buy everything BB releases unless you have infinite resources. Problem is very few players actually have the economy or invest enough real money to get enough of the event resources to get everything. Most of us has to prioritize among the offers. For a free player, getting another Grim Reaper made much more sense. Same with silos. So that's 1500 pumpkins worth of silos and 1600 pumpkins worth of general before schools was relevant and 3100 pumpkins is a lot.

Buying on the hope that BB will actually make something useful in the future is a bad idea. They are not known to ever change buildings.

Not buying was the smart move unless you had a large enough economy and spent a lot of time trading to get a large excess of pumpkins. Blindly trusting BB to fix something useless to make it actually useful is never a smart move. They are more likely to just add a new building later and sell that instead.

Saying that people are not smart for doing the smart thing at the time is rather arrogant.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    I was smart enough to recognise them as a long term investment and pumpkins were so cheap I easily got all three from the 2013 event. Schools were always useful and are only more useful now than they were. Not buying them in 2013 was totally short-sighted even without knowing the building would be upgraded a year later.

Tried to tell people at the time that their desire for a quick-fire population booster was misguided. Not many critics listened, and now they're looking for someone to blame other than themselves.

Are you a casual or part-time player? Don't want a chatty guild or expect lots of support?
    And do you want the chance to earn a few guild coins but don't want to be forced to do guild quests on a daily basis?

Then join GQS (Guild Quests (STILL!) Suck) on Northisle!
    Mail Gerontius here or in game for an invite.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    I was smart enough to recognise them as a long term investment and pumpkins were so cheap I easily got all three from the 2013 event. Schools were always useful and are only more useful now than they were. Not buying them in 2013 was totally short-sighted even without knowing the building would be upgraded a year later.

Tried to tell people at the time that their desire for a quick-fire population booster was misguided. Not many critics listened, and now they're looking for someone to blame other than themselves.
    There's one major flaw in your logic and that's the assumption that pumpkins are cheap for all players. That is not even remotely true. I would have bought them if I had pumpkins to spare. I did not have pumpkins to spare and a fast general and silos were much more important to me. Had they been upgradable, I would probably have prioritized differently but based on the situation back then, ignoring them was the right thing to do.

Again, there was no real reason to believe that they were getting changed. BB generally don't change things once they are released and quite a few things are horrible value for your resources.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Zotamedu View Post
    For a free player, getting another Grim Reaper made much more sense. Same with silos. So that's 1500 pumpkins worth of silos and 1600 pumpkins worth of general before schools was relevant and 3100 pumpkins is a lot.

Buying on the hope that BB will actually make something useful in the future is a bad idea. They are not known to ever change buildings.
    You can buy Silos outside of the event with GC/other-resources, so it was not good to spend Pumpkins on that when a rare building was away.
    The Grim Reaper is pretty but nothing compared to a Veteran, and that should be a higher objective (Followed by the Major General later on).
    Likewise, you could invest resources to obtain pumpkins to ensure you could afford the schools.

And not saying you buy it because one day it might be more upgradeable: I bought it at that time because even at level 1 it was good, and I thought in 1 year, I could well have 6 of them.

In this situation I won, next time I might make the wrong call and lose. C'est la vie :P

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    grims should always be the first priority. you can never have too many fast gens.

Reply to Thread