Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beta?

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Beta?

I somehow got into an argument! Is this game in beta right now?? If not where can I find the launch announcement please??

thankooo!!

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    ^^ Top of the page, big golden letters. They say the 'Settlers online' and then in small red text - 'Beta'

Same on the game loading page. Suggests to me that you won the argument.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    Yes in the branding and even on the white load screen of the game itself.. and beta it seems to remain even after the best part of a year.

It's kinda suggests that there's no confidence in long term prospect of the game.. and yet there's retail DVDs in the shops to bring people in. I can't think of another game where you can buy into it with a high-street store purchase only to find your cash was spent on a beta release.. so strange.

Sure most PC games are released unfinished/under-tested and require serious patching and this is after all an on going development project that will see improvements and problems.. but still.. why still beta?

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    We are told that the game isn't in beta, but the hardware is . . . I understand that the german servers aren't beta nor is the american server.

A game that is in development yes, and we have been told that it would take something catestrophic for people to lose their accounts (my spelling doesn't count!)

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Buh the hardware is beta??? That dunt make sense lol. But thut sounds like some of the things you hear on the chat that sounds like chinese whispers. it'd be nice to have a BB response cos then there are things like:

http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Search.aspx?plTag=webbased

which says the game is out, but if you check nuws archive for that date on this site then thur is no special announcements lol? but youd epect some rihte?

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    I've heard the hardware thing before in chat.. and you are right it doesn't make programming sense.. i guess you can say the project is in Beta due to hardware but I've not seen an official comment on it.

Beta normally means that it's a work in progress, playable, generally functional and stable but elements are not guaranteed to work as core elements are still being refined and tinkered with.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Well,they are releasing a retail box tomorrow, in other words they have reached 1.0 and Settlers Online won't be beta anymore, noone sell beta retail.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Newfoundland
    Aphose, this is the second such retail box and game is still in Beta, I hope i'm wrong but I suspect this will be in 'Beta' forever. It's not really in beta, they just say it is because it suits them. If it was truly in beta then gems etc would be free.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggis View Post
    Aphose, this is the second such retail box and game is still in Beta, I hope i'm wrong but I suspect this will be in 'Beta' forever. It's not really in beta, they just say it is because it suits them. If it was truly in beta then gems etc would be free.
    This 1000times.

The second they started to sell gems and retail versions the game got out of beta. The only reason they keep it is because its easy to deal with bug complaints and the game has not a lot to offer yet. (not many adventures, no pvp)

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    I'll keep looking but i can't find the link at the moment. The game came out of beta around Jan/ Feb this year. The servers remain in Beta, game not. We had an annnouncement in world by a BB (probably Ravel or Azariel), I just can't find the official announcement here on the forum.

Reply to Thread