Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Beginner's guide to TSO

World
    Newfoundland

[Guide] Beginner's guide to TSO

Questions on the forum

1. How do I write a PM in the forum?

Simply click on the username and select private messages. If someone sends you a PM, you will find this in the notifications next to your name at the top of the bar. You can find the member list here.

2. Where can I check if my bug has already been reported, and where can I post it?

Look in Technical problems and bugs in the forum and check to see if your bug is already there. If it has not yet been reported, you can create a new thread with a clear and accurate heading.

3. How do I find posts I have written?

On the forum click on "My profile" on the top right. You can see your messages by clicking on "Show posts".

Questions about the chat

1. How do I write things in the chat?

Below the chat you will see a list of the various chat rooms with a blank line underneath. Simply click in it and start writing. When you have finished, just confirm using Enter.

2. What can I do to learn all about the chat?

Just enter /help, and you will then see some commands; /version will tell you which version is currently online.

3. Why is the text in the chat shown in a colour?

Colour is reserved for the moderators (MOD_ yellow) and the BlueByte or Ubisoft staff (BB_ blue). Whenever your name is included in the text, your text will be shown in orange (this also happens if you type your name in).

4. What are the rules in the chat?

The chat has filters and is run to a PEGI7 standard. You can check the rules for the chat (and forum) here

Questions about the game

1. When can I trade with other players?

To do this you need a Trade Office, which you can build from level 12.

2. How do I trade with other players?

You can start trading once you have built the Trade Office. To trade, you must select the Trade Office icon next to the Star at the bottom of your screen. Once in here click on the green refresh circle to get a list of all trades, you can then apply fliters by using the options to the right of the main trade office window, by either searching for a keyword of the item you want or by unticking item categories you are uninterested in. Once you've found a trade you'd like to transact, you can click on the trade then select Accept offer.

You can also sell goods by using the Selling tab at the bottom, this is where you enter what you would like to give and what you would like to get in return. Once this has been listed it will stay there until someone else accepts your offer, until you cancel it or until 6 hours pass, upon which the items will be returned to you.

You can also view your transaction history in the History tab below.

Beware of the items locations in relation to the trade! Cost is what you will give up, Offer is what you will receive when buying from other players!

You can also trade directly with friends or Guild members after 24 hours of being a friend/Guild member

3. How do I found a Guild?

Should you wish to join a Guild, no Guild House is required. If you do wish to start your own Guild you need to build a Guild House (available at level 17) with either resources or purchase one with Gems from the Merchant.

4. How regularly do I acquire more settlers?

You will receive another settler every 15 minutes automatically, however be careful as when you reach your population limit no new settlers will be produced.

You can view all the important information using the mouse-over function on the settler’s head at the top of the screen.

5. How can I speed up the acquisition rate of new settlers?

You can increase the rate of acquisition temporarily with certain buffs like Love Potion, settlers may be hired for Bread in the Provision House resource tab and the Village School from the Merchant produces 1 settler every two hours.

6. Can I adjust the game speed?

No, you cannot change the game speed.

7. How do I save the game?

The game will be constantly saved in the background, so don’t look for the diskette icon. ;-)

8. How do I quit the game?

Simply close the browser/browser tab.

9. What happens when I am not online?

Your settlers will continue working as normal, but perhaps you should check that you have provided adequate storage so the settlers don’t have to stop work during the night because everything is full.

Your island's production will stop if you fail to login for 48 hours.

Questions about the map

1. How many players are on an island?

You are all alone on your island with the passive bandit camps.

2. Why can’t I build on the forest areas I have cleared?

This is to prevent you from having no more tree resources at a later date because everything is built up.

3. What shall I do when a mine deposit is depleted?

Simply send your geologist out again, who will normally find additional deposits.

4. What do I do if my fish stocks are exhausted?

Just produce some fish food in the provisions house and then apply these to the resource, or buy them from the Merchant.

5. Do the boundary stones remain?

Yes, the boundary stones stay where they are; only their colour changes when you capture a sector.

6. Do I have to build roads?

No, you don’t need roads for the moment, as your settlers won’t stay on them. They are more like decorative objects.

Questions about the military

1. How is the fog dispelled and how do I find the bandit camps?

Click the explorer in the Star menu to explore new sectors (spyglass). The fog will then lift and the bandit camps will also be visible.

2. When can I attack a bandit camp?

From the Quest in level 15.

3. What are the abbreviations for the individual units?

r = recruit
    b = bowman
    m = militia
    lb = longbowman
    c = cavalry
    s = soldier

4. What is the influence area of a bandit camp?

If you click on a bandit camp, you will see a red coloured area around the camp; this is the influence area of the bandit camp.

5. What happens if my General passes through the influence area of a bandit camp?

He will attack this bandit camp, unless that camp is already in battle with another general. You should therefore watch out that the General does not pass through the influence area of a bandit camp when he is on his way to another camp! An enemy camp is in battle when you see people fighting in a dust cloud next to it

6. How do I acquire a General?

You can buy a General in the tavern.

7. How do I assign my troops to a general?

Go to the Star menu and click on your General, where you can use the slider bar to send the relevant number of troops to a garrison. Once you have the correct number of troops assigned, click the OK button.

8. What is the best way of attacking the camps?

Please consult the forum for tips from other players. If you have any suggestions about bosses and camps, feel free to add them to the forum!

Here you can find some help and suggestions. The combat system may change however, as it has not yet been finalized. ;-)

9. Is it enough just to destroy the main enemy camp in a sector?

Theoretically it is enough. You will also be awarded XP for the remaining camps. However, you will not receive the bonus resources for the victory over the camp. The General will also attack all the camps en route to the main camp.

10. What happens if I attack a bandit camp with several Generals?

The Generals will attack in "waves". This means that the General who arrives first also fights first and the other Generals wait until the battle is over. The second General then fights and after this it is the turn of the third.

11. Can the General die?

The General cannot die currently; he can only be injured and then needs a period of 4 hours to regenerate. Other special Generals have faster recovery times

Questions on the buildings

1. What are building licences?

Each licence allows you to build one building from the Build Menu. You can check the amount you have with the building icon on the top bar in the game. When you have used your building licence allocation you will not be able to place any new buildings. To obtain more you can purchase them from the Merchant or you can gain them by defeating leader camps on your home island. Both of these methods will grant you an additional 10 building licences.

Wells, farm fields and buildings from the Merchant do not require any building licences.

2. Do I get resources back if I demolish a building?

Yes, however you will only get 25% of the original resources used to create the building. (Not including upgrade costs)

3. Do I get the building licence back if I demolish a building or when a mine is exhausted?

You will automatically recover 1 licence to reuse should a mine exhaust or when you destroy a building that is currently using a licence. You will also recover a licence should you knock down a mine before it depletes.

4. What happens when my store is full?

Once your store is full, the relevant production processes will be halted. You should therefore ensure that you have enough storehouse space.

5. What do I do when a field is harvested?

Simply build a new one.

6. What does it mean when there is no progress bar in the Building menu?

This could be for a number of reasons, it may be sleeping, upgrading, full or it just means that your settler is on his way to the store or from the store to the building, once he arrives the production will start.

7. Can I rotate buildings?

No, you cannot do this at present.

Production chains

• What is the ratio of…

Brew:

2 x Farm
    1 x Well
    1 x Brewery

Bows:

3 x Forester
    2 x Woodcutter
    2 x Bowmaker

Bread:

4 x Farm
    2 x Well
    2 x Mill
    1 x Bakery

Bronze swords:

1 x Copper mine
    3 x Coking plants or 1.5 x Coal mine
    2 x Smelter
    2 x Bronze weaponsmith

Coal:

5 x Forester
    3 x Woodcutter
    2 x Coking plant

Coins:

4 x Gold mine
    4 x Coking plant or 2 x Coal mine
    2 x Smelter
    1 x Coinage

Hardwood planks:

3 x Forester
    2 x Woodcutter
    4 x Sawmill

Horses:

4 x Farm
    2 x Well
    1 x Stable

Iron swords:

4 x Iron mine
    5 x Coking plant or 2.5 x Coal mine
    2 x Smelter
    1 x Iron weaponsmith

Longbows:

12 x Forester
    8 x Woodcutter
    3 x Bowmaker

Pine wood planks:

3 x Forester
    2 x Woodcutter
    4 x Sawmill

Sausage:

2 x Hunter
    1 x Butcher

Steel swords:

4 x Iron mine
    6.5 x Coking plant or 3.25 x Coal mine
    2 x Iron smelter
    1 x Steel smelter
    1 x Steel weaponsmith

Tools:

1 x Copper mine
    1 x Coking plant or 1 x Coal mine
    2 x Smelter
    2 x Toolmaker

• How many fields does a farm need?

A farm needs only one field, but the farmer will harvest the next one automatically if a field is harvested completely. Several farms can also harvest one field but will deplete it more quickly.

Other Queries

1. Where can I find out what has changed in a new version?

Simply have a look in the Change Logs thread. Here you will find out about the bug fixes and which production times have been changed, etc.

2. Where can I read about my current Quest if I have closed the box?

Simply click on the Quest Book, this is the sheet with an exclamation mark (!) next to your avatar, and you can then refer to your Quest again.

3. Where can I find out how many XP (experience points) I need for the next level?

Simply move your mouse pointer over the semi-circular display under your avatar and the XP will be displayed there.

4. Why can’t I build any buildings in the captured area?

The first building you can build in a captured area is the storehouse. You cannot start new building projects for other buildings until the storehouse has been built.

5. Where can I find my geologist/explorer?

You will see a star at the bottom of the screen (Star menu) once you have hired them from the Tavern, and you should find them there if everything has gone according to plan. ;-)

6. Where can I find the discovered treasure or the rewards for victory in combat?

You will receive a mail detailing the rewards, once accepted you can then find them in the Star menu.

7. What are buffs for?

Buffs increase the productivity of your production chains for a certain time or give you resources or settlers.

8. Where do I obtain gold coins?

You receive gold coins by carrying out Quests, the explorer’s treasure hunt, level-ups and sometimes as a reward after battles or later with a Gold Mine, Gold Smelter and a Coinage. You can also receive them later on as a reward from adventures.

9. What can I do with gems?

You can use gems to buy resources, buildings or certain decorative items at the Merchant (the treasure chest at the bottom right of the screen). They can also be used to increase the speed of several production items, automatically upgrade buildings or even complete certain quests.

10. How do I get more gems?

You can buy gems from the shop, you can also get 45 additional gems as a bonus for logging in 7 days in a row. Gems may also be received when reaching certain levels in the game or even for some quest rewards.
    Last edited by peck_ed; 07.05.13 at 10:20.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Thank you for this post.
    Got answers to all my questions

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    o Foresters - Woodcutters - Sawmills (Fir wood planks)?
    3 - 2 - 4

o Foresters - Woodcutters - Coking plants (Coal)?
    3 - 2 - 2
    Question, do you mean I should build 3 Foresters, 2 woodcutter, 4 Sawmills , then I go to the next one and build another 3 foresters, 2 woodcutter, 2 coking plants ....... and so on ??

Someone said in chat box that there is a topic tells you how many building you need, so I wonder if this is it.

World
    Newfoundland
    What it means is that the best way of making all your wood into planks is like that. If you add coking plants, you'll have to add Woodcutters and Foresters.

You don't have to do this exactly like this, this is only the best ration so that none of your buildings misses out on resources.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    i am in 7th levels.how can i go to 8th levels

World
    Newfoundland
    Thanks for this. The ratio listing is very helpful.
    Last edited by Rohab; 30.11.11 at 22:39.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    I had the same problem and the answer seems to be to produce a fish platter in the provisions building. It is in the buff tab !!

World
    Newfoundland
    It could be because making Tools does not require the same amount of coke than for making swords.... or it could be that the production times are not the same.

feel free to investigate if you have time

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Fast reply, just when I deleted the post . Yep, meanwhile I realised why.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Azariel View Post

3. How do I found a guild?

You need to build a guild house, available at level 16.
    Guild House available at level 17,Azariel. I just checked it out.

Reply to Thread