Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Building ground Grid-Overlay

World
    Newfoundland

Lightbulb [Suggestion] Building ground Grid-Overlay

Production time is all about location, location, location.
    However half of the time I find out that the placement of my building are a bit off or are blocked by scenery ornaments (bushes) which cause production time for certain goods from buildings to increase by an x-amount of seconds. Especially in some areas of the maps where space is limited and you would like to get the best efficiency from the resources available it's hard to judge how much space there actually is available.
    Therefor I would like to make the following suggestion:

Add a transparent square Grid-Overlay to the game which highlighting squares that contain potential usable building ground.
    Basically I just want to be able to see what space(squares) I can use, see here an example build with roads what I have in mind.

Let me know what you think.

World
    Newfoundland
    This is a good idea SeanAero, but at the same time I think the reason a grid isn't implemented already might be because the player likes to feel that his or her island is unique.

I do think it could be an option you could toggle on and off through the settings menu. It would help people and it isn't specifically telling you where to place buildings for quicker production times.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Might be useful, I've placed quite a few buildings in places I wish I hadn't and will have to tear them down and reposition them when I've got enough resourses and building licenses as I've run out
    I think building placement is just something you learn with experience

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohab View Post

I do think it could be an option you could toggle on and off through the settings menu. It would help people and it isn't specifically telling you where to place buildings for quicker production times.
    Exactly, so it's not a cheat sheet but really an aiding tool as where space is actually available.
    This way better planning can be made on how you use your available space.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    it would be nice if you could tear down a building shortly after placing (assuming they'd not started building it yet) I've misplaced a couple now by mistake.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I like the option to turn it on and off... my island is unique of course ;-)

TibiDubau
    Frankly, I don't like that option (not even with the toggle on or off) just because after a certain amount of time, all islands are going to be exactly the same (and I do mean exactly), and that's something that would spoil the game for me...
    If you do want to grid you island you can easily do it yourself (seeing that roads don't cost anything) and you have your Mayor's House a starting point.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by TibiDubau View Post
    If you do want to grid you island you can easily do it yourself (seeing that roads don't cost anything)
    Roads unfortunate do not always show certain obstructions like small bushes. (See tile/square north-east of the Copper smelter in 1st post)
    While the road goes through the bush, a building can not be placed on this tile/square.

So roads have limitations, I don't see why this suggestion would cause everyone to have the same construction land.
    You can already look at higher level players and see how they place their buildings if people just want to copy.

EDIT: Just to clear things up. I have the impression some of the readers think I want to have this grid-overlay to give me suggestions on what buildings to place.
    I'm just looking for a grid-overlay that shows me spaces that are available to place whatever building I like, nothing more.
    Last edited by SeanAero; 05.12.11 at 20:18.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    it would be nice if you could tear down a building shortly after placing (assuming they'd not started building it yet) I've misplaced a couple now by mistake.
    Same happened to me: placed an Architectur building and while it was building tore it down. The Architectur building was not replaced in Star menu.
    This has already been reported by MissZero to the BB-team.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    I quite like the idea. But how about limiting it to the 5x5 squares around where you are currently hovering a building (so 25 squares total). Have the building show up as usual and the 24 squares around show green if a building can be placed there and red if it can't. If you want staggered buildings you will have to work it out yourself.

Reply to Thread