Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Trees gone crazy....

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBranch View Post
    Great pictures, great explanation....but this has nothing to do with believing production can't be 0.
    Can't imagine so either, simply because you can check the production of all individual forresters easily. I've never seen one at 0
    Hence my explanation

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Always thought I was quite okay on mathemetics, but since I don't get your explanation I must have lost some brain cells with my last couple of beers.

Your explanation starts from a situation where you have a positive balance of forresting / cutting.
    Than you can be 0 for forresters from time to time.

But...that's no explanation for my situation: having a negative balance of forresting / cutting.

Altogether, I don't understand what you are trying to make clear.

World
    Sandycove
    I spent 3000 coins to upgrade 6 forresters to level 4
    I have 11 cutters; producing together around 11.250.
    I have 14 forresters; producing together around 9925.

The normal balance is about 3 forresters for every 2 cutters, depending on travel times and the amount of forresters can sometimes be tweaked down.

Your current situation
    11 lvl 3 cutter is the same as 33 lvl 1 cutters
    8 lvl 3 forresters + 6 level 4 forresters is the same as 48 lvl 1 forresters
    So you get close enough to the normal balance to have a positive replant, assuming you didn't place your forresters and cutters far apart and your forresters have (on average) a somewhat lower travel time

Hmm... thinking about this
    I know there is an issue with forresters that causes the forresters to all go to the same deposit if only 1 deposit can be refilled. That means the travel times of several your forresters becomes very high if you have 2 or more "wood production camps". This means the production of your forresters never show 0 however the production of several forresters is a lot lower then the average 700-ish for a level 3 forrester and 900-ish for a lvl 4 forrester

Simple way to check
    Pause all your forresters for one or more hours, allowing to create some empty tree deposits, or at least some that are half full.
    Then turn all your forresters on and wait 3 minutes. Now your economy view should show you your actual production for forresters.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexno View Post

Hmm... thinking about this
    I know there is an issue with forresters that causes the forresters to all go to the same deposit if only 1 deposit can be refilled. That means the travel times of several your forresters becomes very high if you have 2 or more "wood production camps". This means the production of your forresters never show 0 however the production of several forresters is a lot lower then the average 700-ish for a level 3 forrester and 900-ish for a lvl 4 forrester

Simple way to check
    Pause all your forresters for one or more hours, allowing to create some empty tree deposits, or at least some that are half full.
    Then turn all your forresters on and wait 3 minutes. Now your economy view should show you your actual production for forresters.

Did so. You seem to be going in the right direction now.
    After starting my forresters, my production is +4392.
    Half an hour later, it's already back at +341....that's an enormous difference, certainly while my island still looks like a plains.
    After one hour, the trees around my cutters are back. Although still a lot to replant, my forresting production already went below 0.

All I can conclude is that there must be a certain dependency between cutters and forresters, which is not calculated correctly.
    For sure, without 2 hours I will be back at my original -800 without any cut tree spots visible...and it will remain like that.

While doing the above, I noticed a strange thing with my cutters. Most of them are NOT going to the most nearby tree spot. I'm even having the impression that there are several tree spots on the island that are 'forbidden' to cut.
    Perhaps that results somehow in wrong calculations?
    Last edited by MrBranch; 03.08.13 at 13:43.

World
    Sandycove
    Without knowing how you placed your forresters and cutters, and knowing what each individual forrester is reporting in the economic overview, I have no other ideas why your economic overview would be so much weirder then mine.

My pine cutters do seem to go to the nearest not-empty pine tree deposit and my hardwood cutters go to the nearest not-empty hardwood deposit.
    There are some deposits on the map that will keep showing trees while the tree deposit is empty. In the top of section 2 there are quite a few together.

Most of my forresters and cutters (all level 3) are placed like this:
    There are probably better ways to place them so they are even more productive, but never took the trouble to find out since this is working good enough.

I have one other wood production camp like this. Somewhere in the future I'll probably take the effort to see if I can place them all together somewhere, to prevent the "in-this-camp-all-deposits-are-full-let's-go-help-and-fill-the-other-camp" scenario.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    My cutters and forresters are already all positioned closely together.
    Ah...so some trees keep being visible while being cut down. Interesting...indeed, lots in sector two. But also quite some in sector one.
    What I expected to happen, did not happen. I'm now back at +200 for forresting.

Really...was putting all of them asleep all that was needed to fix the strange behavior in my economy overview....?

World
    Sandycove
    Really...was putting all of them asleep all that was needed to fix the strange behavior in my economy overview....?
    for a while at least, till everything is full again.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Apparently not. In the meanwhile everything is full, but my pinewood forresting is at +236; my pinewood cutting is at -212 (while my economy overview displays pinewood yellow instead of red).
    I completely lost it. Didn't change anything, but completely different figures and an economy overview that is still messed up.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    I see now that there's another thread to integrate with this one: http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...cutter+picture

By the way: forresting now at -361....don't get it at all....
    Last edited by MrBranch; 06.08.13 at 20:32.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    In the meanwhile back at -1100. No a single empty tree spot though. Title of this thread is perfect!

Reply to Thread