Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash ending in 2020

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    So your issue here is that you refuse to believe what they have already told us, yet you want them to tell you more. I can only see one way to resolve this quandary and that is to wait until after development of flash has ceased.
    Believe what that they say there working on it? Thats most likely the truth doesnt mean they found a solution and if they havent found one by now I doubt they will they have had a while to work on it and if they had a way to keep the game going they would of said this is the way we are thinking of going but your right 12 months from now we will all be playing or will have forgotten tso existed

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    So your issue here is that you refuse to believe what they have already told us, yet you want them to tell you more. I can only see one way to resolve this quandary and that is to wait until after development of flash has ceased.
    Then they will be waiting that long before they get anymore of my bank account I guess.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    I am now getting a message saying that google chrome will not be supporting flash after end of 2020.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmanfive View Post
    I am now getting a message saying that google chrome will not be supporting flash after end of 2020.

don't use Chrome then

World
    Sandycove
    They have not said anything.

All they have said, on a twitter post is that they are looking at options. There is nothing here on the game forums.

I want to see definitive plans, what they are doing and when. Until then I am not investing anything in Settlers Online.

qawpaw
    looking at options.

that line is getting old fast,heard it for 2 years now.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    It's just not Chrome removing the support but all major browser vendors are doing the same. Most of the players use these to play and they will not or literally cannot install some special versions of browsers or downloadable applications to play. The current slim browser is a challenge of its own for many to get even to run and using it is less convenient to use than browsers, eg. refreshing the game to resolve an issue or clearing the cache due corrupt building gfx is not as easy or fast and you will miss out browser features like accessibility for extra zoom, color changes etc.

Plenty of people have already quit on Chrome, Firefox etc. hindering the Flash use with blocking messages and other warning and activation operations or for the downloadable version just check Steam rating and top negative reviews filled with not working problems. Even if there will be bunch of people using special or older versions of browsers or using the downloadable version it wont help much if the user base shrinks a lot to the point that is no longer viable to keep all servers running. It will literally be a gamble to invest any money to the game if your server could be shutdown in a month. With the current communication trend of BB it kinda already is.

Sadly BB has officially said several times NO to the pretty much only tech to keep playing in browsers which is HTML5 (incl. webgl etc.) and sadly at the same have not confirmed any solid plan for the end of 2020. Based on BB posts, mostly from German forums (which is pretty much the only place they actively interact with people outside changelog and event diary threads) they have been looking at alternative solutions for over 5 years now while denying HTML5.

This, almost 3 years old post from test server had at least some idea what they will look at but after all this time they should be already working on something and not be looking for solution: https://forum.tsotesting.com/threads...ll=1#post46621

Since there is nothing to share after all this time and they just repeat the same "looking at alternatives" seems to indicate they already gave up long time ago but not will not confirm it to not hinder the remaining gem sales. Then near end of the year they will pull off the same thing they did with Anno Online.

World
    Sandycove
    Unfortunately I agree 100% with Mannerheim's post. At the moment I do not believe there will be a Settlers Online game after december this year.

qawpaw
    Although Adobe will stop support and development of flash in 2020 that doesn't mean you Will no longer able to use flash from that point. Most web browsers now no longer officially support flash but you can still install it and use it.
    if thats the case we should still be able to play in 2021.
    but thats not what i am on about.

can the game itself be converted into work like an windows store app???

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by qawpaw View Post
    Although Adobe will stop support and development of flash in 2020 that doesn't mean you Will no longer able to use flash from that point. Most web browsers now no longer officially support flash but you can still install it and use it.
    But you literally cannot use it with those browsers even if you manually install flash. Browsers are removing the plugin interface that Flash uses so it's not a matter of user preference.

Here is example info from Firefox https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...lugins/Roadmap

Quote Originally Posted by qawpaw View Post
    can the game itself be converted into work like an windows store app???
    They already did a version that is used in Steam and is available at the front page. Its the one I mentioned earlier post that works poorly for many.

https://www.thesettlersonline.com/en/download-game
    Last edited by Mannerheim; 27.05.20 at 14:44.

Closed Thread