Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove

Somethings wrong :(

Hi,
    wondering if anyone can help me
    when i log in
    Game freezes , then shuts down , reboots and starts Pc up

PC works fine , ran scan etc , Can do normal things and no problem, never a issue
    But Everytime i start up settlers and log in , its only a matter of time and it freezes and shuts pc down might be 1 min 5 mins 10 mins

Im on Goggle chrome

if anyone has any ideas , if love to hear it as its very frustrating

Cheers in advance

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Do you see any blue error screen before the PC restarts? These are often referred to as "BSOD" or "Blue Screen of Death".

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    Do you run any other "intesive" applications, primarily games on the computer?

I had difficult to diagnose problem last year where I was able to paly TSO but if tried runnign any other games they would crash after various amoutns of time.

I was thinking ti was overheaitng but turns out eventually to be due to the power supply unit essentially being worn out. It could cope with the limited requirements for TSO but nothing more onerous than that. I would downlaod a PC stress tester program, it runs demanding grpahical stuff to make CPU, memory and gfx card work to thier limits. If sucha progrma crashes copmuter oyu may ahve an overheaitng or power issue.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Hi ,
    No blue screen of death before shut down ,, just freezes for like 1 -2 seconds and bang shut downs

Snow - no other games installed on Pc , and i thought over heating too , but cleaned fans and made sure all ventilation was ok , dont seem to be overheating
    but i might download a PC stress test program and check ? , any ideas ?

Also Flash is upto date , but could it be a chrome issue ?

the weird thing is , PC is fine for " everything " else i do , jump on here and it all goes wrong
    Last edited by twister_; 17.05.18 at 18:07.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    Would definitely try the stress test program. If you ahve same issue as I had it is devilsihly difficult to diagnose. Took me weeks to do so.

Reason I ask about other games is that you can do a lot of normal things fine on computer. They are just that powerful but when it comes to games you quite quickly hit limits of resource useage. TSO does use surprisingly a lot of power.

If you don't play other games it may be TSO is enough to tip computer over the edge. That was what my problem was, everthing worked fine for me, could even play TSO, but anything other than TSO caused computer to crash.
    Could play TSO, surf, watch video all a the smae time but start Assasins Creed or Cities: Skylines and after 5 minutes coputer shut down.

It almost feels like overheat but you never get high enough temp. That's why am thinking it may be failing PSU same as I had.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    ok cool ill try a stress test program

so out of interest what did you do to fix your issue ?

World
    Sandycove
    I can't think of anything better than what is already suggested. Is there anything in the windows error log? (often useless but sometimes has decent information) - or any other system reporting?

Have you tried turning off all the graphics features you possibly can? Animals, smoke, etc. As mentioned TSO/Flash takes it's toll - I have a dedicated graphics chip that's quite grunty but I can hear the fan speed up and the usage shows a jump when I get into TSO because there's lots of little Flash things going on and they all have a price.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove

ok so i may have a issue ?

why is it just happening now ? and not before ?

and how do i fix it

World
    Sandycove
    I don't know what tools you have on your system and I don't even know what operating system you are running, but is there any way for you to limit CPU time per application to provide a maximum? You could tell the system to give Settlers no more than perhaps 70% or something leaving enough for the critical system processes. That's one thought.

And like I indicated turn off all graphics options the game lets you (animals, smoke, etc.) and see if that helps.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Reply to Thread