Reply to Thread

Thread: [Suggestion] Roads - More than visual stuffing

World
    Newfoundland

Lightbulb [Suggestion] Roads - More than visual stuffing

This thread is created for the discussion regarding our beloved roads. As a Settlers 2 player (was the first PC-game I ever played) my feelings towards roads and their importance when building an efficient settlement is quite strong. I have talked to some people about this in the game chat and others also seem to miss the old road system. I know Volaxad brought up the topic in his suggestions thread but I really wanted a clean and dedicated thread for our road discussion.

What do you think about the roads? Are they more than visual stuffing or do you enjoy them as they are now?

My suggestion for the roads:
    I think that the roads should give a small speed bonus to workers that travel upon them. This should be taken into consideration by the A.I. of the workers as it calculates the fastest travel route to the storage house/mayor's office. It would also be neat if the roads does not upgrade automatically but can be upgraded piece by piece for a small amount of stone (or other material). Each upgraded version will give a better bonus and, as it already does in game, look better.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    I also used to play settlers II and was totally addicted. I think your idea is great, the idea of using stone to upgrade them is really good too.
    Settlers II also used donkeys to transport the goods, that you needed to breed. I don't see this option here (unless I've missed it). I see stables but I'm assuming they are for horses for cavalry, perhaps someone could confirm this

World
    Newfoundland
    Yes I think the stables are for cavalry horses. Haven't reached that level yet though.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think it would be nice to see a benefit from roads as well. They could cost a small amount, but could be one way in which the game could be speeded up. I've played all the way from Settlers 1 and yes it's nice to see free roads, but why use them especially as settlers don't use them?

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think that the roads should give a small speed bonus to workers that travel upon them.
    Missed this feature also, as Settler addict ;P

I think your idea is great, the idea of using stone to upgrade them is really good too.
    Hmmmm, the Stone mines really have very low stone deposites, which are really needed for building... so at the moment no stones to spare ^^

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yes we need roads they have played an integral part of every settlers game i have ever played all the way back to the original with the flags and blokes that carried between flags, you had to get a good transport system to make everything flow, i used to like the traffic jams that used to accumalate in poorly designed road networks. And in the last settlers they spread of storehouses and improved road network was fun to design and manage.

World
    Newfoundland
    Yes for the roads as faster way to travel... but in the meanwhile you can at least remove bushes or dirt terrain from the path the roads are withdrawn...

Just be yourself... Your soul is the God... Find the way to your true reality... Help others to help yourself... We all are One!

Reply to Thread