Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moderators (MOD_) are your friends!

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Moderators (MOD_) are your friends!

Hey guys, just thought I'd share some information with you all, for those who don't know.

Moderators (otherwise seen in chat as MOD_) are member of the community like me or you, started playing the game as a bit of fun. Here in the forums there was a post asking for applications for moderators, these people applied and were successful. They are donating their free time, free game time, to have the extra headache of moderating chat in-game and in forums. They are there as a support to the developer team who cannot afford the extra man hours this would take to employ someone to do. So moderators are doing this for FREE, they don't get special abilities or rewards, and they do not get paid.

Please treat them with respect, do not expect.
    Moderators have duties to fulfill, they may not know the answer to everything, and may not always reply. But they are doing their best. They receive instructions from the BlueByte/Ubisoft team that they must fulfill.

The "Help" channel on in-game chat is not a MOD_ support channel, if moderators are there they will try and support you with your issues as best they can, like every other game player who frequents that channel.

Remember, MOD_ were community players at the start, so we all are moderators in a way, its just they wield the might ban weapons of choice!

World
    Newfoundland
    I would also like to add to weeman_com`s thread we are also humans with the same needs as you the players,we need to take time away from the keyboard to eat, go to the bathroom,to cook an evening meal,some of us have families too who need our attention.No one has to be a MOD to help and answer questions about game play should they know the answers,we are all learning the game at the same time.If your question isnt answered by a MOD it doesnt mean you are being ignored,if you do require our attention,then please type MOD_username,that way its highlighted on our screen and easier for us to read it,right now both help and global are fast moving and its not always possible to catch each help request before its disappeared from screen.

Tonight wasnt easy I was online as a MOD alone for a large part of the evening,as was Seek when I had to go afk for some time,we cant watch 2 chats and deal with whispers,and keep up with everything thats happening.

If you have an issue that only a MOD can deal with then please use whisper,that will be seen when we get back to the PC.

Its early days we still have alot to learn,we are not your enemy we are there to keep the channels a friendly fun place to be....

World
    Newfoundland
    Just like in any game, or on any forum, some people tend to confuse volunteer mods with paid staff, the volunteer mods would like to play the game too, check the forums first to see if there's a FAQ or help thread that can answer your question before asking a mod for help.

And for some strange reason people think all mods do is ban people, all I can say to that is yes, sometimes we do, but on the main Ubi boards I've helped banned members be allowed back on the forums more times than I can remember, everyone deserves another chance, we're not evil (however much some of us might play up the 'Evil Admin' image) ;=)
    Last edited by BTOG46; 07.12.11 at 16:16. Reason: typo.... >_>
    http://http://img29.imageshack.us/im...3/btogsiga.jpg
    Official Whisky taster and Herald to the Mighty Alderbranch.
    "The clues are out there.....S.N.A.F.U."

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yes the vast majority of moderators do it out of their own goodwill and generous spirit.

However in my experience their are also those who just get into it for power and will then abuse that side of things for their own enjoyment trying to make others feel small in the process.

For instance........... If you have an issue with someone use the whisper feature and speak to them explaining things rather than assuming they know better and banning them anyway. Also if you go to ban someone for abuse or something read the chat perhaps there was some reason behind why they said it.

Point of fact if your there for power eventually you will be found out, trouble is you may well hinder the development of a game in the process too, by allienating some of those best positioned to help develop things and forcing them out of the game, this is something certain previous developers of other games I can mention found out too late.

Unfortunately in my experience their are all to many idiots who end up becoming moderators, they make the job of those who are there to be genuine all the harder too.

As a tester I've been there and done that, equally I've been a mod too so I know both sides and there are always at least two sides to everything.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    @ Nutisbak - Very true I agree completely.

I have a buddy who was a mod on another game's forum, the game had recently come out of beta but they are still making changes. He was there from the beginning and was probably the most experienced player there so thought that he would help others. But he received so much grief from the other players about recent game changes that he quit after just 3 weeks (as did several other mods).
    He's now addicted to this and plays on Castle Empire in the US after I told him about it

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Edit BB_Azariel: Once again, this is not the proper place for your complaints. Please contact us via the support tool or use the appropriate threads on the forum.
    Last edited by BB_Azariel; 15.12.11 at 09:53.

World
    Newfoundland
    bhoycey, like azariel said; take it to support, not post it in here.
    GuildLeader of TSO Addicts!

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    That's the edited version!
    If you remember, I was pulled up by the MOD for discussing trades in the channel, although as it was quiet, I was discussing a particular problem with the few people that were online at that time, OK I felt it was a bit harsh, as I was more discussing the mechanics of the trade, rather than the trade itself, but I took the warning with good grace, seeing as the trade chat has been plaguing the global chat, and until a better system is worked out, the MODs are only enforcing the rules handed down by Bluebyte (the reasons for which can be read in another topic).
    I did not then expect other players to start jumping on him over this, and the more he asked them not to question the rules in the chat, the more they escalated the matter into a conspiracy theory that the MODs can use their "power" to disadvantage rival players for their own good.
    I hope this is mere paranoia, I've seen no evidence of this happening here, and even if it did, I trust that BB would be approachable, and rectify the situation.
    For pity's sake, these people have given up their time to try to help players, and maintain a set of rules designed to be for the greater good, we're not just testing the game mechanics here, but the admin as well.
    OK, the system has flaws, but there are right ways to report/complain, and wrong ways. starting a free-for-all in the chat is clearly the latter, and if people keep lashing out, what do they expect them to do?

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer Nukar's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Cudos to weeman_com for starting this topic! Missed it initially. And any MOD deserves respect for all the effort.

As for being a MOD and having to deal with a community of players (testers, who in general are worse). That is a tough thing to do. Aspecially because every single player thinks he or she is allowed to have his/her own little exeption every so often. The MODs in this game are very, very patient regarding to violations and the (stupid, repeating) discussions resulting out of friendly warnings.
    If we as the community accept certain rules as they are and stop arguing it the MOD will not need to use the /ban option they have.
    Ofcourse rules can be discussed. But
    A: dont do this on chat... its only annoying for the rest of us. Use these forums.
    B: Dont harash the MODs for it. They only execute em, they do not make em up!

World
    Newfoundland
    Great post, I love the fact that moderators get appreciated by some And

Thank You, Moderators

Closed Thread