Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Api

World
    Newfoundland
    this would lead to a bummering of the game ( made that word up) API would just make the game unfair....

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    How about an api where you could just get some player stats.
    Like to create gamertags or so.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Maybe separate server for the people who want to use API.
    Imagine a programmer liking this game, one would like to play with the game, maybe APIgrames hackaton kind of or something like that.
    Not affecting normal players at all.

They probably did TSO app like service oriented program so why not.

Resp0nd0Lord
    Not only would an API be amazingly useful in TSO though I do agree, the data should be limited and read-only. As a developer it would mean that we could create a tool that would accurately and in real time display for example:

Trade API
    This would allow the creation of an app that could give you the most accurate trade / average prices for items over a period of time (7/30/60) days. Allowing the tracking of market trends, paving the way for more interesting analysis of market trends. Now just a few uses here could be finding the best time to market that stockpile of iron-ore you've been sitting on, or finding out that something you had no use for has some real value by trading it for something you can actually use.

I have many more ideas that could be incorporated into a data driven application if BB was willing to part with a censored version of its data on trading per server. Or even a CSV data-dump as short term solution if API dev time is not currently viable.

To the people who think this will give people an unfair advantage, then I ask you to consider:

What if this data was available to you in a simple format with a clear interface giving access to the same information available to everyone and provided by a trusted source?

Would this really be unfair? Surely not.

Please BB - Give the community some accurate and dependable data which can be put to good use.
    Last edited by Resp0nd0Lord; 13.03.16 at 20:13. Reason: Spacing

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    I don't recall BB providing us with a lot of information like explorer find rates or loot drop chances, why would trade prices in the detail your asking for be any different ?

Given the sort of API your talking about at the very least your talking about acquiring information which you don't get to see because your off-line, how can that be fair ?
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Resp0nd0Lord
    Just to clarify, we are talking about creating an online tool and possibly an App that any player could use.

I don't quite understand the point of your comments. If you are saying that having the historic trade data available to analyse trends and identify new or alternative ways to trade makes the game unfair then I would disagree, it would be up to the users to choose to use the information provided, such as it is for them to read the Adventure Wiki's most do already, the case here is very similar, providing information based on historic data.

Case:

Eve Online provides data dumps on many of its millions of daily transactions so that developers can create tools that benefit the whole community, it also provides this data within the game itself so that historic market trends can be analysed and players can then try to forecast future shifts.
    While TSO does not have the historic trade analysis built into the game (as many other games do), wouldn't it at least be nice to have the information available to the advantage of anyone who had the sense to use it.

So if this data could be implemented into a web application with filters so that players could see things such as a sudden uptake in the availability of Iron Ore, which may for that player decrease their asset value, they may be able to take action to avoid additional losses.

Only users who did not want to use the data available would be disadvantaged, though by choice, certainly not because of the existence of the tool.
    Last edited by Resp0nd0Lord; 13.03.16 at 21:19. Reason: froamt

World
    Northisle
    +1, modern games should try to provide this type of information. Would be very useful to monitor guild members GQ completion rate without having to edit spreadsheets daily. It does make life easier and the creators of such tools usually like to share them for the whole community to use them as they wish.
    Have fun!

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Thank you for your interest! Right now we have no plans to provide any sort of API for "The Settlers Online".

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Northisle
    i quite like this idea altho i feel the need to point out that there is more to life than settlers - take a break - lol.

i have a flash enabled browser on my phone and kindle. i wouldnt wanna try and do an adv but for saying hi and checking queue's, loggin in daily while away from home, etc it works fine.

Reply to Thread