Reply to Thread

Thread: Battle system improvements

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland

Battle system improvements

The first thing I believe could be improved on battle system is adding the capability to follow the fight while it is happening, currently, the battle is to far from the user.

Secondly, the battle system should be more interactive. Maybe letting the user use some strategy like moving units back or toward the frontline for some advantage, putting units in defense/attack modes, dividing units into more regiments becoming able to divide an powerful attack force to more than one attack and also being able to divide enemy power advantage.

Let me know what you think about it.

Cheers,
    CaioToOn!

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by CaioToOn View Post
    The first thing I believe could be improved on battle system is adding the capability to follow the fight while it is happening, currently, the battle is to far from the user.
    Since you have no control over your units, replay of the fight after the fight has pretty much the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by CaioToOn View Post
    Secondly, the battle system should be more interactive. Maybe letting the user use some strategy like moving units back or toward the frontline for some advantage, putting units in defense/attack modes, dividing units into more regiments becoming able to divide an powerful attack force to more than one attack and also being able to divide enemy power advantage.
    2 problems with that:

- most of the fights end within 1-2 rounds, so there would really be no place for moving units around. Fights which last longer than that are most of the time fights against single target attacking single group of your troops, making such advanced mechanics kind of useless.

- that would have very nice effect on older servers, making fights even more ridiculously easy than they already are.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Thanks for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkz View Post
    Since you have no control over your units, replay of the fight after the fight has pretty much the same effect.
    Sometimes I really catch myself willing to see the battle while it happens. Also, this would be useful if the next suggestions work. But this issue ins't the main point of my suggestion, the next ones are.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkz View Post
    2 problems with that:

- most of the fights end within 1-2 rounds, so there would really be no place for moving units around. Fights which last longer than that are most of the time fights against single target attacking single group of your troops, making such advanced mechanics kind of useless.

- that would have very nice effect on older servers, making fights even more ridiculously easy than they already are.
    The point is exactly make the fights more tactical, more interactive.

I think the battle system could be more like Heroes of Might and Magic series (without the animations, if this is against the game simplicity design line). Also, the user could choose not to battle and let the computer decide, as it is today.

This would make the battle a special moment in the game. Big fights would allow the user to overcome a grater army using intelligence and unit special abilities. For example, the user could build a house that grants him with long range support, building long-range cannons or TNT for battle use, I don't know.

Again, if the user don't want to fight, he just let the computer resolve the battle and check out the replay.

That is it.
    Regards.
    CaioToOn!

Reply to Thread