Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Efficient Building Placement

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    New Tutorial availlable. This one's on Optimizing Wood Production. Enjoy.

javavall
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagesmurf View Post
    New Tutorial availlable. This one's on Optimizing Wood Production. Enjoy.
    A few things to remark,

- Sometimes its not usefull to optimize a particular production, but a chain production. Because you dont want to produce maximum wood(low end of chain), but bronze weapons(high end of chain) for example. So maybe it would be better to start backwards, optimize bronze weapons/coal and find out how much wood you really need.
    In that respect the ratios 3-2-2 dont work for wood/coal etc.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Would be cool to see chains together in a block yeah :P

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by javavall View Post
    A few things to remark,

- Sometimes its not usefull to optimize a particular production, but a chain production. Because you dont want to produce maximum wood(low end of chain), but bronze weapons(high end of chain) for example. So maybe it would be better to start backwards, optimize bronze weapons/coal and find out how much wood you really need.
    Not quite true. Wood can be converted for hardwood planks, therefor its useful

javavall
    Quote Originally Posted by Antek View Post
    Not quite true. Wood can be converted for hardwood planks, therefor its useful
    Why dont invest in hardwood chains then? Maximizing wood/sawmills in order to convert them to planks is counter productive.
    (Unless someone has done all the calculations and can prove me wrong)

You should produce as much wood you really need. Of course that means that you will have a slight surplus at the end of the day.
    This surplus, later on, is useless. You can convert it to hardwood etc.
    Last edited by javavall; 26.01.12 at 13:01.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    A few things to remark,

Uhuh that's one way of looking at it and I can see your point. If you'd ask me tho it makes a lot more sense to seperate them like this. For example next tutorial will be on optimizing copper production. Doing the wood step first makes it a lot easier to understand and by your logic I'd have to explain how to place woodcutters in 2 videos in stead of one, sounds like overkill information to me. If anything optimizing bronze production is a step forward in my opinion.

Also the ratios always matter. If you're gonna need 4 coking plants in bronze production, you're gonna need 4 woodcutters. No exception to the rule. And the coking plant can always be far away from the storehouse(12 spots). Main thing is that people should combine both tutorials to optimize. If they're too lazy to watch 2 video's then whatever.

I'm just providing a framework.

javavall
    My points here is that someone would need more wood in order to keep up with an optimized coal production.

For example if we want to optimize bronze swords, it wouldn't be wise to place them at 6secs spot. Instead we can place coal at 6-8 secs, and a bit further the smelters/bronze. In order to do that we would need a bit more wood.

-In that way, we optimize the coal-bronze productions offering a slight speedup.
    -Optimizing wood-coal-bronze would require more licenses.
    -Optimizing wood, then coal, then bronze(placing each one further away) would result in slower bronze.

Maybe i am wrong here, and the last one is better even though its slower.
    I will try to do some calculations and we will see which one seems better.
    Last edited by javavall; 26.01.12 at 17:45.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    My points here is that someone would need more wood in order to keep up with an optimized coal production.

For example if we want to optimize bronze swords, it wouldn't be wise to place them at 6secs spot. Instead we can place coal at 6-8 secs, and a bit further the smelters/bronze. In order to do that we would need a bit more wood.

-In that way, we optimize the coal-bronze productions offering a slight speedup.
    -Optimizing wood-coal-bronze would require more licenses.
    -Optimizing wood, then coal, then bronze(placing each one further away) would result in slower bronze.

Maybe i am wrong here, and the last one is better even though its slower.
    I will try to do some calculations and we will see which one seems better.
    Never mind, I'm the one being [removed] here. I've been thinking about what you said for a while and you actually do have a valid point here. I've done the maths assuming that you would place the woodcutters on the 6 and 10 spots and still have an average production time of 1:54 (1:30 +2*6+2*6, this is hard to accomplish, but still do-able) and also place the coking plants on 6 spots which gives the following production time of 3:24. (3:00 + 4*6.)

Conclusion in this scenario is: You need 9 coking plants if you have 10 woodcutters.

Here are are some notes I've made while calculating.

3:24 6:48 10:12 13:36 17:00 20:24 23:48 27:12 30:36 34:12
    3:48 7:36 11:24 15:12 19:00 22:48 26:36 30:24 34:12

So in case you will need 9 coking plants for your production chains it's worth placing them on the 6 spots and this will improve your production by a reasonable amount. Most people will however prefer the superior coal mines over coking plants.

My sincere appoligies for being such a whiny [removed] about it.

Sagesmurf,

Your language is totally unacceptable, do not use such profanity!

Sinister-King
    Last edited by Sinister-King; 02.01.13 at 19:04.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Has anyone made a map yet ( like this one https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink ) that shows where you can and cannot build? Would perhaps be useful for identifying the best spots for placing Storehouses and setting up Resource gathering and production chains.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by ZyorTaelon View Post
    Has anyone made a map yet ( like this one https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink ) that shows where you can and cannot build? Would perhaps be useful for identifying the best spots for placing Storehouses and setting up Resource gathering and production chains.
    I'm not sure anyone has. I don't think so tho, maybe on german forums? But yeah it's a good idea. At this point I don't plan on making a map that's this detailed. (It would take probably like 12 hours or more to make a map like this and it's tedious and borring)

At least I do plan on making a map of all the efficient building spots that I know off, in which sugestions by other people can be added (of course giving them the credits for it). I've developped a pretty good method to identify good spots and will start on the map once I have conquered all of the areas (I don't have area 9 atm).

Reply to Thread