Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade costs vs. building costs

TheLoneDeranger

Upgrade costs vs. building costs

I don't know if this has been up before. But one thing i don't quite get is why it's so expensive to upgrade when you don't seem to get anything from it? (Apart from storehouses, barracks and provisions house of course).

The plus side is that you use one less building license and one less settler. Costs of resources to make the product are the same, time use are longer and as mentioned the costs of upgrading is way more than the costs of building another building.
    Shouldn't there be some more advantages in spending all the resources upgrading?

I'm aware that you run out of licenses, but that doesn't seem to be to big a problem in a game like this. After all you will get your resources along the way, no matter what.

So the suggestion is: Give some advantages to upgrades compared to new buildings (lower resource use, faster production etc.)

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    when your at a later level building liscenses are EVERYTHING but i do agree there could be a decrease in time as i mentioned on my 'extravagant suggestions' thread

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneDeranger View Post
    I don't know if this has been up before. But one thing i don't quite get is why it's so expensive to upgrade when you don't seem to get anything from it? (Apart from storehouses, barracks and provisions house of course).

The plus side is that you use one less building license and one less settler. Costs of resources to make the product are the same, time use are longer and as mentioned the costs of upgrading is way more than the costs of building another building.
    Shouldn't there be some more advantages in spending all the resources upgrading?

I'm aware that you run out of licenses, but that doesn't seem to be to big a problem in a game like this. After all you will get your resources along the way, no matter what.

So the suggestion is: Give some advantages to upgrades compared to new buildings (lower resource use, faster production etc.)
    If you play for free you wait a lifetime if you pay for gems its all fun dont you get that!!?? and this kind of games are not games that you can finish in a week or a month

TheLoneDeranger
    I do get that and i do get that this is a patience game. But that doesn't change that it should give a little more advantages to upgrade. just my opinion.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    thats just the way it is

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    the cost is fine really- it might not scale correctly over all levels but on a total level the cost is fine.
    See it like building a house- the cost is high, build anotherfloor on top of an existing house is even more expensive due to extra reinforcing etc.

BUT .. the key thing is, that it is a one off cost for the building- Once you have it, you do not have to commit the resources again. Once you reach that stage, you will find another bottleneck in upgrading, probably coin- but even that will pass eventually.

If these costs are lowered, people will race through upgrading and this would impact various aspect of the game, not in the last the ability to buy stuff in the shop (they have to make money somehow) but also people leveling much faster etc and so running through current content much faster.

I am now reaching the point where i don;t need huge amounts of marble or hardwood planks and my stores are rising, even wth the expensive cost of the goldmine. If i build something new, i can upgrade it to lvl 2 or 3 very fast as i have the resources in the storehouse.

Now to advantage of upgrading: It is quite subtle but has a huge impact later on. The obvious one is that upgrading buildings saves you licenses used. But the biggest advantage is the buffing. Buffing a lvl 4 or lvl 5 building is really a whole lot more efficient than buffing 5 buildings. Especially when you use the gift baskets for a long duration buff. If youw ant to keep your high cost item productionlines buffed- then upgraded buildings is the ONLY way to go unless you fill up your islang with tripple or quadruple of your meat production, fishing and bread production. This will really start to show at the higher levels at which time you also really need this production for other things like adventure hunts and making settler resource in the provision house

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    The buffs are a really good reason to upgrade, but I'd do it for the licences alone. Your speed of production is relatively slow after the tutorial levels. Unless you buy licences the only way to improve output is to upgrade the cheap buildings and demolish some to make room for the more advanced (and expensive) production types.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    a game like this most about the anticipation of trying to find the best ways to spend things upgrading is just another cost

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    The main reason for upgrading is the buff bonus, when you are getting 4 produced items +4 free you can easily see why you should be upgrading as much as possible, especially so on important lines.

I think the way it is now is pretty close to how it should be.
    With the exception that low tier buildings cost the same as lvl 40+ buildings to upgrade past lvl 3, which seems a little out of context for me.
    It really shouldn't cost you the same to upgrade a fir cutter from 3-4 as it does a stable, or longbow maker.

Also, you do not get refunded extra resources for tearing down upgraded buildings (it should be the same 20-25% you get from a normal tier1, including gold, marble, or hardwood if they were used to go from 2-3-4)

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Just a quick note on upgrades. I am in the process of upgrading my Provision house and I wish I had known that the upgrade would halt production. I could have prepared a day's worth of goods as necessary. Now I'm likely to lose an adventure as I won't be able to produce enough settlers/troops in time.

Reply to Thread