Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: backseat moderating..

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    an excess of anything is a bad thing yes, and if your issue is with people that just stir the poopoo, then yea they need to be handled by mods and yea probably some mods will not be able to handle these situations (law of averages, there are bound to be better and lesser quality mods) I just hope that deciding mod changes are needed doesnt reflect in "x y or z was a failure or the project failed thing and when needed stuff will get dealt with

World
    Northisle
    So, to sum it up.

You want the moderators to take a more active role to prevent unnecessary rule breaches with their mere existence?

If so i would argue that not knowing when a moderator is watching would have a better effect in two ways.
    Backseat moderating the chat leads to a self moderating community and does not leave obvious gaps where there is no MOD present to stem the tide because no-one knows if they are watching or not.

Both ways have their pro's and con's.

Yet again we hit a snag and have to choose the lesser of two evils as i see it.
    We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. / Albert Einstein
    I refuse to lower my standards, to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs. / Steve Gemlin

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    IMo opinion it is simple, the poblem are not the mods or the backseat mods

The problem are the griefers and trolls and the plain annoying people that think they can get away with murder if they don;t get "punished"

No community can 100% self regulate- so the snag is more : do you take actions during events or post event (mod versus support) and what constitutes proof. But bottom line is still that the mods or the backseat mods aren;t the problem.

Ofc this doesnt solve anything and i realise it- so it is all about finding a working middle road

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Why is the chat such a big deal anyway? Ofcourse its a hell with so many different players of different ages running around. It will only get worse when this community grows. All big chats are a mess with trolls and freaks. Mods included

I thought its purpose was just to ask for and give info. Help eachother a little if possible. In my experience (and I leave right away to avoid the crazies) thats possible so why expect anything more.

Reply to Thread