Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: backseat moderating..

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland

backseat moderating..

So.. coming from moderating up to 18k people in chat at times. I have no idea why you allow this..
    Yeah I was muted for 60 minutes for calling him out.. yet again.. which is fair enough..

But if you guys can't read between the lines here..
    First of all.. the last "warning" from the backseat mod was for an obvious misstell.. in a language he understands no less, and for one sentence. I'm sure you know that any other place warnings will be given for people trying to have a continuing conversation in another language, not for the random sentence or misplaced words here and there..

Common sense rules chat moderating, and he doesn't have it, letting him continue backseat modding is just going to make things worse..
    For one people in general don't really care about warnings from regular users.. It's just the way of the world..
    And when he's showing a rediculous lack of common sense it only keeps making things worse.. If yuo keep temp muting ppl aruond him instead of taking care of the issues.. so be it, but watch ppl dissapear, and lose faith in the actual moderating team.

Either way.. Up to you, no offence taken as for the mute, but you'r telling the wrong people to drop it.

World
    Northisle
    If it was misplaced id suggest you edit it and place it where it belongs..
    We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. / Albert Einstein
    I refuse to lower my standards, to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs. / Steve Gemlin

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer Nukar's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Its a MOD rant suprised to see it still here. But in fact it has no correct place. So where did you plan on posting it?

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Please, suck it up and get a life! No one over the age of 12 can bitch about being banned or whatever from a silly chat without looking pathetic.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Viertje View Post
    Please, suck it up and get a life! No one over the age of 12 can bitch about being banned or whatever from a silly chat without looking pathetic.
    I never bitched about the 60 minute mute, you should probably learn how to comprehend text.. I was addressing an issue, which was some random user mocking both chat and in the end, the moderators. If they want to mute (us) instead of doing something about the root of the issue.. then that's their problem.. Doesn't, and shouldn't mean that people can't bring things to their attention.

Anyways, it's a mute point, And I guess I just posted this because I'd expected a company to have moderators with a little bit of skill profiling people and general behaviourism. You moderate, you miss things, I miss things to. This particular case, the guy was mocking chat after moderators told people to drop the issue.. So yeah.. I spoke up.. But no, I never complained about the mute.
    Last edited by Devolutionized; 26.02.12 at 22:14.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    just to point out, moderators cant watch multiple different chats on different realms, and help out in the help section ect constantainously. they only have time to read one or two off each lines... so if you got an incorrect ban or a mute... then stfu about it and report it and you will be reinstated. at the end off the day, at most times their are between 1-3 mods on... mabey more but them dont appear to talk. so complaining does nothing. and dont try to agrivate them, as they are trying to folo up multiple queryies and conversations at one time.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    I feel this is somthing that should be sent to support, not on a public forum.

If u come from moderating 18k in chat, you should for sure know that this is the wrong place for this, contact support!

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibster View Post
    I feel this is somthing that should be sent to support, not on a public forum.

If u come from moderating 18k in chat, you should for sure know that this is the wrong place for this, contact support!
    Well.. in the community where the high number of chatters happen from time to time, we have a live support channel where regular users can join and discuss things with the staff, ask questions or make suggestions, and I don't have access to the Agora (which by description sounds like the same thing).

That said. We are on a forum after all. I might have picked the wrong forum section, but other than that, I see nothing wrong with having an open discussion to find out if others may feel somewhat the same way. And judging from some of the comments in the other post that just started about moderating, it looks like I'm not alone.

Discussion mind you. If I had posted in the same manner as the comment made by Viertje above, whom apparently never actually read my initial post, but just wanted to make the usual adolescent internet statement, then I would have deleted the post too if this were my forums.

I singled out an incident, which was probably not the best way, but the essence of the post was about bad apple backseat mods having free reigns. And I can tell you straight up, it's never a good idea.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Devolutionized View Post
    I singled out an incident, which was probably not the best way, but the essence of the post was about bad apple backseat mods having free reigns. And I can tell you straight up, it's never a good idea.
    Having no moderators would be an even worse idea. The mods we have do the best they can with the tools they have.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

World
    Northisle
    I share the sentiment with you Devolutionized.
    Authority should always be subject to question and scrutiny.
    It should also get the benefit of good mannered and improvement oriented suggestions or it will all go down in a long forum of flamers.

I have my own issues with the current situation and my own suggestions of improvement.
    Mind you, it will never be perfect.

I singled out an incident, which was probably not the best way, but the essence of the post was about bad apple backseat mods having free reigns.
    I doubt there was a bad apple moderating. The most apparent answer is most often true.
    How does this strike you? There had been moderation absent for a time and when they/it came back, dove right in to moderate the chat.
    It seems plausible enough compared to other options.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.thefreedictionary.com
    mod·er·ate (mdr-t)
    adj.
    • Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme: a moderate price.
    • Of limited or average quality; mediocre.
    • One who holds or champions moderate views or opinions, especially in politics or religion.
    v. (md-rt) mod·er·at·ed, mod·er·at·ing, mod·er·ates
    v.tr.
    • To lessen the violence, severity, or extremeness of.
    • To preside over: She was chosen to moderate the convention.
    The explanation of the word says a whole deal about peoples misconception about moderators being some type of law enforcers only.
    We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. / Albert Einstein
    I refuse to lower my standards, to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs. / Steve Gemlin

Reply to Thread