Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 171 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Killste : Collected Adventure Guides by Various Authors

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Hi.

There's just a few things I don't understand here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tage View Post
    Horseback
    Average Losses (best version): 266R 90B

One BATTLE HARDENED general with Longbows
    Two NORMAL general, using one 1R block and two round blocks
    • Units needed, average: 390R 162S 1C 91B 65LB (709 units)
    • Units needed, maximum: 413R 168S 1C 91B 65LB (738 units)
    • Units lost, minimum: 321R 90B
    • Units lost, average: 377R 90B
    • Units lost, maximum: 413R 91B 6S
    Here it says nothing about cannoneers being needed and only 1 Cavalry.

From C to Camp 20) 90 Riding Amazonian Guards, 10 Uproarious Bulls
    BATTLE HARDENED general: [117R 83K (115R - 116R - 117R)] {4 rounds of fighting}
    Suddenly there's 83 cannons that is needed for the attack, as well as plenty more cavalry for the blocks of camp 18 and 19.

I just don't see the logic in how the guide is constructed. If cannons are needed for the attack, why aren't they included in the "units needed" earlier in the guide?

Sorry, but it's a bit confusing really.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    this is yours.. If you do not have a veteran general, attack camp 19 first:

From B to Camp 19) 40 Lance Riders, 70 Nomads
    ANY general: [46R 110S (38R - 44R - 46R 1S)]

For the following 1R block send both generals right after each other:

From B to Camp 18) 70 Nomads, 40 Riding Amazonian Guards
    NORMAL general: [1R (1R)]

ANY general: [43R 91B 1S 65LB (40R 90B - 40R 90B - 43R 91B)]
    ANY general: [32R 90B 1S 77XB (30R 90B - 32R 90B - 32R 90B)]
    VETERAN general: [123R 127S (122R - 122R - 123R 1S)]
    VETERAN general: [26R 90B 1S 133LB (25R 90B - 26R 90B - 26R 90B)]
    VETERAN general: [21R 90B 1S 138XB (20R 90B - 21R 90B - 21R 90B)]

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    If you do not have a veteran general, attack camp 19 first:

From B to Camp 19) 40 Lance Riders, 70 Nomads
    ANY general: [46R 110S (38R - 44R - 46R 1S)]

For the following 1R block send both generals right after each other:

From B to Camp 18) 70 Nomads, 40 Riding Amazonian Guards
    NORMAL general: [1R (1R)]

ANY general: [43R 91B 1S 65LB (40R 90B - 40R 90B - 43R 91B)]
    ANY general: [32R 90B 1S 77XB (30R 90B - 32R 90B - 32R 90B)]
    VETERAN general: [123R 127S (122R - 122R - 123R 1S)]
    VETERAN general: [26R 90B 1S 133LB (25R 90B - 26R 90B - 26R 90B)]
    VETERAN general: [21R 90B 1S 138XB (20R 90B - 21R 90B - 21R 90B)]

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    I don't have a veteran but I do have a battle hardened general so that's what I've been trying to follow, that's why it suddenly became a bit confusing.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Did you read the first post? The colour codes used by Tage are there. If you don't have the troops/generals for an attack there is usually another option to choose.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Ah, ok.. silly me, now I get it. Thanks for the clearification.

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Thanks Martonus and Barthamon for helping Alphahanne (nice name )!

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahanne View Post
    If cannons are needed for the attack, why aren't they included in the "units needed" earlier in the guide?
    Sorry, I never added the units needed for those having the cannoneers... Now they're added!

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer
    World
    Newfoundland
    To help (especially new guide readers) in finding all the information, I'm going to add a couple of spoilers in the beginning of all my adventures.
    Let me know if there's something I've forgotten or something that needs changing...
    ...before I start copying and pasting these into every guide I've made...

If you're new to reading my adventure guides, a thorough introduction and legend can be found by opening this spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Introduction, Help and Legend

All my adventure guides start with some general information, the mission, the loot and a map.
    If you fulfil the mission, you will get one item from each slot shown in the loot.
    In multiplayer adventures, each player who has killed at least one enemy unit, will get the full loot.

The experience (XP) shown in the loot is based on you killing all camps.
    Some adventures have a mission that doesn't require you to kill all camps, just certain target camps (e.g. witch towers).
    These adventure can thus also be played by skipping camps.
    In such a case you will not get the full XP, only the XP for those camps that you have killed.
    All my adventure guides are based on killing all camps and getting the full XP.

The map shows all relevant camps, with your own landing zone and garrison positions in white and enemy camps in yellow.
    Within a garrison position (numbered G1, G2, etc.) there may be several exact positions where generals need to be placed.
    These are especially important to follow for blocks, and are generally named A, B, C, etc.
    Note also that you can always move (transfer) your generals across enemy territory without being attacked.

Multiplayer adventures often have several landing zones, and may have different sets of camps,
    with identical numbers but different colours to distinguish them from each other.

Throughout all my guides the following colour codes are used to distinguish between different types of generals and setups:
    • NORMAL general: Must be a normal (slow) general, the one you buy in the tavern
    • ANY general: Can be any general, no soldiers needed
    • ANY general: Can be any general
    • ANY general with Crossbows
    • ANY general with Cannoneers
    • BATTLE HARDENED general: Must be a fast general, bought for gems in the shop
    • BATTLE HARDENED general with Crossbows
    • BATTLE HARDENED general with Cannoneers
    • VETERAN general: Must be a veteran general, bought for gems in the shop, capable of holding 250 units
    • VETERAN general with Crossbows
    • VETERAN general with Cannoneers
    Certain special generals, e.g. General Stronghelmet (from the original retail package) and Grim Reaper (from the Halloween event 2012) are battle hardened generals. The veteran general was introduced in the Easter (Spring) event 2012.

Throughout all my guides the following letters are used to denote different units:
    • R = Recruit
    • M = Militia
    • S = Soldier
    • E = Elite Soldier
    • C = Cavalry
    • B = Bowman
    • LB = Longbowman
    • XB = Crossbowman
    • K = Cannoneer

All my guides include needed and lost troops for several combinations of generals and troops.
    Choose the best setup that you can match, giving the lowest losses.
    If you only have some, but not all needed units, e.g. soldiers or crossbows,
    feel free to combine different setups on a camp-by-camp basis.

All my guides give an estimate of how many times you need to send troops to the island.
    If you have the needed number of generals, you can of course send all troops at once.

If you don't have enough generals, or realise you've sent the wrong units or omitted some units,
    unload one or several generals once they've arrived to the adventure, and send them home again.
    This way you can use one or several generals over and over to move all needed units to an adventure.

Note that it takes 30 minutes for normal generals to reach an adventure and to return from it.
    A fast general (battle hardened or veteran) travels twice as fast.

Red arrows in my maps indicate direct attacks. Dashed arrows are intercepted attacks.
    Several of my guides include blocks, which are shown in orange arrows.
    Open the next spoiler for more information about blocks.

Whenever I ask you to send generals right after each other (applicable for most blocks),
    this means you should sent the next general at the moment the military tattoo (music) stops playing for the previous general.
    This should cause the second general to march 3-4 seconds after the previous general.
    If for some reason you cannot manage to send out your generals just after the music has finished,
    do recall all generals and try again. Better to practice once too many than risking having a failed block.

Lag is the enemy of blocks, since it can cause generals not to march out when they should.
    Most notably this can lead to two generals marching out at the exact same moment.
    When doing blocks and noticing this is happening, I would normally recall all generals and send them again.
    Even if almost all my blocks are designed so that they should work even if generals are marching out at the same time,
    I have had situations where the second general has in fact marched faster than the first general.

When the adventure ends, your general will return to your home island.
    A normal general will once again need 30 minutes to travel, and a fast general 15 minutes.
    If you've left units unassigned to your general(s), these will need 100 minutes to find their way home.
    You can see all these generals and unassigned troops in your star menu, with time remaining for them to arrive.
    You cannot however see how many and which units are included in the troops that were unassigned.

The following spoiler shows detailed information about blocks, what they are and why they are used.
    Spoiler
    Blocking... Blocking... What on earth is blocking?

The objective with all blocks is to reduce the number of normal camps you have to attack.
    Many of the camps we'd like to avoid attacking are however placed so,
    that their red area of influence covers the path or the entrance to the sector's leader camp,
    or other camps we cannot avoid killing to get to the leader.

Thus, we block them instead...

Blocking is possible due to the fact that while a camp is being attacked,
    it will not intercept any other generals marching through its red area of influence.

There are two methods of blocking:

Method 1 is to use a general with one cheap unit (typically one recruit, which is why they are called 1R blocks).
    This general will not fight for too long before he has lost his battle. A normal general will fight for 20 seconds.

During these 20 seconds, another general would not have time to march across all the red influence area of that blocked camp.
    However, he would be able to march through the corner of that area, or to attack another camp located near the front edge of the red area.

Method 2 is to use so called round blocks (based on the number of rounds a fight can have).
    In this case you attack the camp you don't want to kill with a troop setup that is optimised for a fight that will last as long (having as many rounds) as possible.
    While that fight is going on, another general could march through its red area of influence and attack the leader camp of that sector.

When you kill the leader camp in a sector, all camps that haven't been killed before will be gone at the same time.
    If this happens while the blocking general is still fighting, that fight will be cancelled, and your general would return to his garrison without losing any troops.

The troops used in a round block are mostly a combination of
    • soldiers/elite soldiers (having a high defence and taking a long time for the enemy to kill)
    • cavalry (having a low attack and taking a long time for you to kill the enemy)

When doing blocks, the timing and/or garrison placements are crucial.
    • A block that starts too late will cause your main general to become intercepted when entering the red area of the blocked camp.
    • A 1R block that ends too quickly could cause your main general to become intercepted before leaving the red area of the blocked camp. In both this case and the previous case, you should still be able to retreat your main general, before he also enters that camp you tried to block. In this case you will only lose that one recruit plus 4 hours of waiting time till that normal general has recovered.
    • A round block that ends too quickly, before the leader is gone, would lead to you losing many of the rather expensive troops involved in the round block.
    Always use a normal general for blocking (fast generals would make the blocks last only half the time),
    and a fast general for the attack on a leader (a normal general would double the fighting time on the leader).
    The troop setups for the attack on the leader may have significance too. The fewer rounds it lasts, the better.

If you want to try a block for the first time, I would recommend playing Dark Priests.
    The first block in that adventure is quite easy and even if you fail, you wouldn't lose too many troops.

If you want to invent your own blocks, I'd recommend to read ksinori's Blocking without using a guide,
    and my own post in Blocking time per round?.

Note also that blocking is nothing BlueByte planned for this game. It's something players have found out.
    The round blocks have mainly become possible due to the difference in fighting time for normal and fast generals.

With this in mind, also don't expect BB to replace any troops you lost in a failed block.
    Also, try not to do any advanced blocks if the lag is bad.
    Last edited by Tage; 24.11.12 at 02:12.

World
    Sandycove
    From B to Camp 7) 30 Riding Amazonian Guards, 40 Riding Bowmen
    BLOCKING NORMAL general: [62S (-)] {3 - 4.7 - 5 rounds of fighting}
    BLOCKING NORMAL general: [2R 30S 23E 15C (-)] {3 - 4.4 - 7 rounds of fighting}
    BLOCKING NORMAL general: [5S 107B (-)] {5 rounds of fighting} ----- ONLY 3 ROUNDS ... not 5 like on the simulator.
    BLOCKING NORMAL general: [5E 107B (-)] {5 rounds of fighting}

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle
    On secluded experiments block on camp 19 does NOT work...My timing was perfect and i lost the battle. It is too risky.

Reply to Thread