Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: DISCUSSION about behavior of moderators!

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nukar View Post
    @qualan
    I never played MOD for this game, but im told the MODs do have external tooling for the MOD job. But i also understand they get to watch all channels for more then 1 server. If I would be modding here i would object to this. To much stress. I prefer they would devide the channels (in practice they might just well be doing this i dont know).

Maybe even get MODs from Northisle to MOD Newfoundland and viseversa.
    My argument was more that having a non playing account to mod would keep the player behind the mod out of the wind more- So you see Moderator a, b , c etc telling you something while u dont know it is player x , y, or z controlling it- so player x. y . z can play the game and interact without the added bagage of the mod title

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer Nukar's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualan View Post
    My argument was more that having a non playing account to mod would keep the player behind the mod out of the wind more- So you see Moderator a, b , c etc telling you something while u dont know it is player x , y, or z controlling it- so player x. y . z can play the game and interact without the added bagage of the mod title
    Yes, this would safe the player behind the MOD out of the wind. but ive seen constructions like this. Community tends to find out who is who. or 'accuse' a non related player to be MOD etc. Then the accusations of favoring friends and other paraonoid behaviour kicks in.
    At a 1st glance yes that idea looks great. But expereience tells me it will backfire.
    Nevermind I give up

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    my experiences of the MOD's are very limited, but from watching chat i have to say some of the ones i have seen blur the line between being a player and being a MOD.

Two days ago i saw off-the-cuff remarks from one unnamed MOD as he entered the room, in my opinion - it showed a lack of respect of his position, the fellow players he is there to supervise, lack of professionalism and showed the specific MODs immaturity greatly.
    Immediately upon entering the game, the MOD said good morning all and then threatened to ban someone within 10 seconds with the reason (as close as i can remember) "I've just woke up and not banned anyone yet so BE CAREFULL"....

This type of attitude, weather joking or not, is only acceptable if people are not paying to play the game, but the moment i invest real world time and money into something i expect a certain level of professionalism and respect from the people 'in-charge' - this doesn't cut it in my book.

Like i say, i'm not complaining, having a go or saying its like this all the time - but on my very limited experience, to see something so negative and childish doesn't show the company who creates this game in the best light.
    When a game gets to a certain size, paid employees should be the only ones in charge of the community as they are bound by terms and service level agreements - not just how much time they can dedicate for free in their own free time.

(this is why community police in the UK will never have as much respect or power as paid police force - if you want a real world anecdote)

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Balgra View Post
    "I've just woke up and not banned anyone yet so BE CAREFULL"....
    that's only one aspect of wannabe mods recruited from a player base .. when u think about all possibilities that can come from a too friendly friend of mod .. u can get to a total colaps ..

and the funny think is .. i can't make a screen and show it to all .. it has to be done in private , in silence over the support that to community will not loose faith in the player-MOD system .. this hostile environment is not good ...

I'm not against some sort of control over the world chats .. but has to be done at some level of professionality and control

i'm out of chats on R2 for a WEEK!! for a question that to mine knowledge was not against the Terms of Use .. and it looks that the chats will never return ^_^

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    @Balgra: similar behavior of one MOD was one of the reason, why I started to be angry! And that is why I started this discussion...

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Interesting 2 postings before this one of mine ( would use the quote bit if I knew how!, but make to the point.

I saw the comment quoted and the mod at the time. The problem that is actually there is nothing to do with behaviour or attitude, but one of cultural misunderstanding and possibly that of a generational gap too.

I actually found the comment amusing - it appeals to my sense of humour, and I hasten to add, I can, now in the cold dissection of this thread see why people might have been offended by it. I am 99.99% sure that it was not meant in the threatening mode some actually took it.

One problem we obviously have, is although we are speaking a common language, we don't always mean what other people read into it. This must be particularly difficult for people who don't have English as their first language. I like many others do respect them and are impressed by their communication skills - so well done to them.

Now the problem - consider the phrase "I'll think about it" What does it mean? To most English, English speakers, it probably doesn't mean what is written at all - it becomes a polite way of saying forget about it, I'm not interested, and there in lies the problems in chat about the mods, I think.

Before becoming irate and taking the moral high ground, remember these simple rules - why is the mod doing these things - what has been going on in chat, often over a period of hours with the current chatters or others - is this past bringing something to a head? Stop and think about the language being used - I don't mean profanities etc. but perhaps the more subtle uses of English, say in humour, sarcasim or irony. And here we have a problem because of the the language barriers (sorry spelling!) and the mis-interruputation that can result.

The MODs do do a difficulut job, and I think they get it right almost all of the time. There are times when people can question their judgement and there is a system in place for that, and the simple answer is to use that system if you think you have been wronged.

No matter what you do, there will always be people who will argue against any sort of rulings and regulations, the system will never be perfect - I know I had these individuals for more years than I care to remember in secondary education - ther I was stuck with them and they with me! - here we all have a choice, in the same way that over 1/2 of my friends have voted with the off switch due to rule changes, those who can't cope with the MODs also have a very simple solution - don't log in, don't play, and if they have to play stay out of chat.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    The Job of the mods should be keeping it civil. Allow no flamethrolls, no bullying, no racism etc etc.

Are the mods doing a good job? IMO no, they are not. They just hide behind 'the rules'. In fact they do allow bullying. The wannabe Mods who repeat every word of the mods and are too eager on pointing out 'the rules' to someone breaking them are in fact very sneaky throlls indeed. It is annoying.

I find the Mods and their nonsense rules very annoying and they have spoilt the game for me. I will no longer play this game because I was being banned unjustly. If this is how you treat customers then I choose not to play the settlers anymore.

The one rule should be respect. Just ban the ones that bully other people. Allow other languages than English. It's called GLOBAL CHAT!!! Lot's of people don't speak much English and cannot even understand the warnings of Mods to use only english aso they won't even understand why they are being banned.

Have a nice life.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    I think it is important to shift the focus of the discussion slightly to highlight just what Mods have to contend with and how that could effect their attutudes.
    The poster above me got it right I think when he said, "The MODs do do a difficulut job, and I think they get it right almost all of the time. There are times when people can question their judgement and there is a system in place for that, and the simple answer is to use that system if you think you have been wronged."

So yes, perhaps mistakes are made. There is a way to address those.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the moderation is for the greater good.
    I am also on the US server and will state again that is is horrible. Having that contrast allows me to more readily appreciate the Moderated chat here.

The onslaught of misbehavior will be never ending. That means some few of us will get caught up sometimes, perhaps unfairly, under the bans.
    I am willing to take the risk if it means a more wholesome and enjoyable chat atmosphere. I like the chat and interacting with new people from Europe.

Zino, I would ask you what it is you need in order to be satisfied that your grievance has been addressed?

Jefferton
    MODs suck the joy out of the chat and game. They often seem the bully's. And god they love their work. Enjoy moderating guys!

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Someone mentioned the problem of non english in chat.

A small line of text reading: "english chat only please" or something similar as a small but noticeable heading in the chat window would make it clear to all members and remove some of the mod conflict when chat gets intervened, free up chat a little and keep it flowing. No debate, no reason to grumble, written in plain English.

I know it is clear in the T&C about english, but how many people in reality actually read them? Too busy itching to play a new game to scan through small print.

Just an idea.

------------

Only grumble I've had regarding a mod (can't remember who) was when some players in Global-1 were constantly using it to ask questions. I asked them to use the "help" chat instead.

A mod immediately posted and said "not your call nerb".

When there is no mod around even when requested then who's call is it? I wasn't rude, wasn't personal and was basically just trying to help. Seems the mod was caught napping and didn't like it.

Great way to strengthen the "us 'n them" mentality is it?

Most mods are OK but like any persona on the internet, what we type can reflect our mood at the time.

Have fun peeps.

--------------------------
    edit to add: does anyone else find it funny that "Global" chat has to be in English. lol
    Last edited by nerb; 03.03.12 at 01:29. Reason: added stuff

Closed Thread