Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: DISCUSSION about behavior of moderators!

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferton View Post
    MODs suck the joy out of the chat and game. They often seem the bully's. And god they love their work. Enjoy moderating guys!
    This game (& life) is what you make it.

Chat is OPTIONAL and can be minimised and if mods are taking the joy out of the game then it is because you are letting that thought ruin things for you, it's not any mod. You play your game, not them.

Have fun.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    The MODS should realise that people come to this site to have fun and play the game. They DON'T come here to enjoy the rules of Global chatroom. Being banned is a very negative experience and makes you hate the MODS and what they represent: The Settlers.

I suggest you consider changing the rules you have now into guidelines. Only ban the throlls, bullies and racists. (Let's start with the wannabe Mods. They are really annoying)

The English only rule has to go first. If a chinese guy calls me an idiot in chinese I won't be offended becase I don't understand chinese so what's the problem??? And if a certain language becomes very dominant ... just recruit MODS who speak that language. eh it's so simple.
    Last edited by Toruko; 03.03.12 at 22:47.

World
    Northisle
    The MODS should realise that people come to this site to have fun and play the game. They DON'T come here to enjoy the rules of Global chatroom. Being banned is a very negative expirience and makes you hate the MODS and what they represent: The Settlers.
    Players should realize that you have to follow the appointed rules in order not to be moderated.
    Toruko: I would like to point out that this game is a UK based project and that there are others just like it in other languages, like French and German for instance.

I'm all for debate and to question rules as well as authority. But! It has to be done in a constructive manner or all you get is a bunch unhelpful posts.

If you believe something got a bad setup or that the rules are wrong you have to offer an alternative that would work just as well or better.
    Otherwise all you ask for is for the rules to be discarded, and we cant have that. Because some of the rules are imposed by federal laws.
    Anarchy will not work as history have shown on so many occasions.

Can we please stop posting mere complaints and take it to the next level where we actually discuss a solution to whatever you all see as the issue/problem.
    We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. / Albert Einstein
    I refuse to lower my standards, to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs. / Steve Gemlin

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
    Can we please stop posting mere complaints and take it to the next level where we actually discuss a solution to whatever you all see as the issue/problem.
    Would you like to discuss my earlier suggestion to the english language issue? I was hoping someone might comment.

World
    Northisle
    I see no problem with it. It's a UK project meant for players who prefer an English speaking community.
    As long as that base idea does not change, i will not have any issues with the rule.

As i posted earlier: The game is offered in other languages as well, If you have an issue with the English only here, you might be wise to go elsewhere.
    We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. / Albert Einstein
    I refuse to lower my standards, to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs. / Steve Gemlin

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
    next level
    Actually there's a very simple solution to this little problem .. i could live without Orwell-modereted global 1 , if i had a place where i can speak and express mine opinion in mine language with "mine" people. I wrote that to Ravel a week ago ( he didn't even open it nor reply to it since )

So , Azariel posted that theres 30 chat channels .. why are there 30!!! all in english only !!!

so dedicate half of them , each to one language or similar languages , slightly moderated , the basic stuff what is in Terms of Use / §Rules of Conduct
    add to ToC that thouse channels are not suited for minors, make them password protected, a window pops up after joining |Warning|, there are ways to satisfy the POSC.

or allow the creation of private channels where the master has rights to kick people from that channels or ban them for a short period of time from that and only that channel.

PS:
    Maybe it is a UK project but it has a EU flag on the main page, so when i created mine account i in good faith thought that i was going to play on a international / European server , even the domain is .com , not .co.uk

If there was an international / European server i would love to play and spend mine money there ^_^
    mine German isn't so good as it used to be, i can't speak french and russian , and finally i have something agains poland :-)
    Last edited by Mihoshi; 03.03.12 at 14:52. Reason: corection

World
    Newfoundland
    Maybe it is a UK project but it has a EU flag on the main page,
    The majority of the European Community speaks English.
    This server is dedicated to the English language.
    Why is that so hard to understand?

You'd get the same argument on the French server, where French is the language and German is spoken on the German servers.
    It doesn't matter what language is to be used, there will always be the minority that want it changed.
    This server cannot handle any other language because the Admin staff and Moderators all speak English.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    If you have to play on the English servers because it is more suitable to your needs than the (currently) German, French, Russian and Polish alternatives then you can set up a guild. Within your guild chat you may use whatever language you choose.

Why can't you say what you like, in any language you like, on the public channels? You may have noticed recently that there has been a large debate in many countries about the effect that changes to the laws governing the internet in several places, particularly the EU and the US, will have. Some of those proposed changes make any company hosting an internet chatroom much more accountable for managing the content of views expressed on their products, and there are already examples of companies being brought to trial under existing laws. The owners of Settlers Online may well prefer not to exert strong control over the chatrooms, but as a company feel that they leave themselves open to a significant legal and financial risk if they just ignore it. Unpaid volunteer moderators may apply a slighly inconsistent approach to maintaining control of the chatrooms but fully staffing the chatrooms with paid staff 24/7 could easily turn a modestly profitable game into a financial loss and lead to it being closed permanently. I'd rather not see that happen.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierarzt View Post
    Why is that so hard to understand?
    sorry to be born in a non-english speaking country, and be born in a year and state system when was allowed to learn rusian only :'(

@Lymond,
    politicians are scared what may happen if too much people talk too openly ?

anyway the reason why the chats are so controlled has to do something with the POSC:CoC Article 9 Content and Protection of Minors

anyway ..

Back to topic
    DISCUSSION about behavior of moderators!

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    The chat was moderated before PEGI issued a rating and gave Settlers a lower age rating than expected. Responsibility for the content of sites you host is set in international legislation, not voluntary online codes of conduct applicable to video games.

If you are russian what is wrong with using http://www.thesettlersonline.ru/ru ?

Closed Thread