Reply to Thread

Thread: Game mechanics - Resource / Supply chains instead of Hub and Spoke model

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle

Game mechanics - Resource / Supply chains instead of Hub and Spoke model

My first impressions of this is version of settlers is good, but every version of settlers has the concept of resource chains.

So the raw resources building are place near / on the raw resource ( like ore, wood cutter ) but it is only every delivered to the nearest store / mayor house. Every other type of building only retrieves from the store house.

This is contrary to every other version of settlers to date, where the resources are delivered to the front of the building then transported down the line / road to the next carrier. Sometimes this ended up at a store house, but you could put a sawmill next to the wood cutter and get a much better efficiency. Same for flour mills ( next to wheat farm ), butchers ( next to pig farm ), and so on.

In this version when the resource delivered to the nearest store house then this is instantly available across the entire map. Buildings requiring a resource from further up the chain ( ie fir wood ) benefits from being nearer the store house, not the source of the resource, since this is the only place the raw material an come from. So you end up with concentric rings of buildings around the store house.

I realise this is a web version of the game and that it is always running, but you have fundamentally changes the economics and mechanics of The Settlers game. Surely there can be come sort of compromise between working out where the resources are in a supply chain and a simplistic time/distance calculation to increase a raw resource count.

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yes TSO is a independent version of the other settlers... AND?
    it has an own game mechanics, but it works..

there is no need to change this system ...
    Last edited by Fenrisw0lf; 04.03.12 at 11:22.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    of course it WORKS, and I realise that it better suits the web / always running infrastructure.

But this is a suggestion thread, and therefore I made my suggestion based on the spirit of EVERY other version of the settlers ( of which I have owned and played every one )

World
    Newfoundland
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    ofc you can make suggestions,

But it also pays to take into account the actual reality lvl of the suggestion to ever make it. The change would be quite fundamental and therefore require extensive testing and probably changed to the core game engine. Such a change is something done maybe at the alpha stage of the game but not when it has been running a year or more already. In that case it is most likely that the it aint broke so dont fix it applies

Also, the fundamental gaming experience won;t be affected very much- if at all- except with decisions where to place items.

And last- This model is very much alike the model used in Settlers 7, where goods get transported to the storehouses before redistribution, except that the storehouses aren;t linked in S7 and therefore does have far greater production times if the goods are produced/needed over various sectors. Basically this model is a simplification of the S7 mold- which isn;t the same as say S3 and S4 where goods were transported from production to production unit untill their storage was full and only stored when you flagged storage areas to accept these goods.

So your basic precedent doesnt apply either across all settler titles- as i see it, the choice is perfectly in line with choices made in previous settler titles

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    I would like it if the goods could be transported directly to the next type of building and not always to a warehouse first.

I don't care if people don't like the change. Reading the replies, it seems they are only thinking of the implementation of it and how hard it might be to change. But the idea that goods don't always need to be taken to a warehouse first is one i would still like to see implemented.

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    i do not want to see this ...

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    I like OP's suggestion mainly on the ground that it makes logical sense and is true to the settlers version that I have played in the past. To me it just doesn't make sense that a lumberjack chops down a tree and then drags it to the storehouse from where a sawmill(-er?) drags it to his sawmill, when the lumber jack could just drag the log to the sawmill directly (specially if it is right next door). I guess dragging it to a storehouse would make sense if the sawmill was further away than the storehouse.

Ohh well just my two cents on the matter

Reply to Thread