Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moderation, stop moaning about it.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle

Moderation, stop moaning about it.

I am not posting this to gain any kudos from the moderating team, the reason for this post is that I am fed up with watching the chat window constantly spammed with people complaining about the Mods.

If you are too lazy to read the rules or if you decide to ignore them then you only have yourself to blame if you get banned.

From what I have witnessed the moderating team show incredible amounts of patience with people, I have often seen them give several warnings to same person before kicking them.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Amen
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    "I am not posting this to gain any kudos from the moderating team.."
    This is exactly what you are doing here. Chat mods in this game are most ridiculous i have ever seen ( and i have played wow *grin*). Racism, personal insults, threats and such should have 0 tolerance ( and they have ), but in normal world, you can swear a bit, even if there's police right next to you.
    I admit, i havent read the rules. Im quite sure i can manage with common sense. Sometimes, when i read the chat, im thinking "where do they get these mods", "do they just randomly pick em"..They yell in chat "first warning", "second warning".. becouse someone used caps.. what is this? child's game? I have grew old with settlers and mods are most disappointing part of this game.

Just a side note, i dont recall ever participating to chat. ( other than in trade channel (( maybe 3 times there )))
    (PSS: Have nothing against forum mods (( nor do i post here either )))

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Katumies - you can swear in the real world but you made ErniB's point exactly. You didn't read the rules and you obviously know nothing about 'why' these rules are in force. The game is rated PEGI 7 - that means nothing you'd want to expose your kids to. ie. bad language of any kind. Not BB's rules either. Mod's are doing a tough job - keep it up guys. It's nice to have someplace that allows good old fashioned polite conversation.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    That's where the common sense steps in. It's not like 7 year old child have never heard anykind of wild arguments or loud conversations.

EDIT:
    PEGI 7
    Ages 7 and up
    Titles rated 7+ have been assessed to be suitable for gamers above the age of 7. May contain occasional violence to non-realistic fantasy characters, pictures or sounds likely to be scary or frightening to young children, and nudity in a non-sexual context.

So, somekind of violence and nudity and scary content is allowed, but if you mention boobs in chat, you are banned? That what im talking about. Mod's are not being reasonable in atleast 50% of time. Is parenting part of mods job too?

EDIT2:

Ratings.. I have kids of age 9, 2 and 0 (few months to third ). These ratings are made in somekind of fantasy land, where everything is build from flowers. Even nhl 12 has 12+ rating? Kids in age of 8 know how babies are done. They know lots about this world it's not like they brake up, if they see or hear adult joke every now and then. I mean, same kids who could play this game, also live here among us.
    And please, dont miss my point. Its not the rules and having em. It's how you choose to enforce em. The way, this is organised, is not working.
    Last edited by Katumies; 15.03.12 at 05:11.

World
    Northisle
    Concidering your post:

You're questioning the ways moderators are moderating. "From what I have witnessed the moderating team show incredible amounts of patience with people, I have often seen them give several warnings to same person before kicking them."

Also, you're telling the community "If you are too lazy to read the rules or if you decide to ignore them then you only have yourself to blame if you get banned."
    Two things, you probably didn't even took time to read the rules yourself, or you did so which I doubt, and coming here to be cool.

This thread is so not needed. Sighn.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Concidering your post:

You're questioning the ways moderators are moderating. "From what I have witnessed the moderating team show incredible amounts of patience with people, I have often seen them give several warnings to same person before kicking them."

Also, you're telling the community "If you are too lazy to read the rules or if you decide to ignore them then you only have yourself to blame if you get banned."
    Two things, you probably didn't even took time to read the rules yourself, or you did so which I doubt, and coming here to be cool.

This thread is so not needed. Sighn.

Even if I have not read the rules it is obvious to me that they would include how you conducted yourself in the game.

In the real world most of us are polite and curtious to others, so just continue to be that way when you are online.

I do not think this reply has made me cooler, that would be impossible.
    Last edited by ErniB; 02.04.12 at 13:33.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Don't forget, the moderators are (or were) players just like yourselves.
    They've been asked to do a job, and to enforce a set of rules meant to make the game bearable for all, and do that job voluntarily under sometimes impossible circumstances. They get no reward for this, but get plenty of stick from both directions, and still manage to do a damn good job. It is BB/UBI's set of rules they are following, and it is BB/UBI who decide whether to uphold them or not, based on their own interests.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    The thing is, there are inconsistencies across days and across mods of what actions get a warning, what gets a ban and what gets ignored. I have seen a mod slamming a ban on someone for a first offence and another day ignore same offence and when pointed out saying, use the ignore command.\

Rules used inconsistently breed unrest and discontent. The biggest issue with the moderator system under the current ruleset is the moderators themselves. They are voluneers and put in time but their actions depend on moods and feelings at the time esp when they (might) not agree with all of the rules they are enforcing.

It doesnt help that at times some players run to get moderators when it suits their purpose and the moderator - unknowingly- ends up stepping right into it and the person doing the running about sitting and laughing while being just as guilty as the banned parties.

Volunteer moderation has always been a problematic thing- it is hard to get a good team running and i dont know how much effort has been put into ensuring a consistent use of rules. As far as i have seen, this is an area that could use some attention

And the whole pegi 7 discussion imo has been invalidated with the new countless unmoderated channels- which imo also means that of someone doenst respect the language for the channel, it stays without concequences except getting on lots of ignore lists as it is not moderated

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Whatever the recent changes were, they are more effective, in my opinion.
    The chat seems a better place of late.

Reply to Thread