Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Unless fixed, this will drive people away....

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by MGSteve View Post
    I don't think I ever said I wanted unlimited supplies at all. What I was suggesting was that the mines stayed in place when they ran out and you had a way to refill them (either by using the geologist or some other method).

What I object to is as I said above, and this removes your point about planning - if you leave the game for a day - i.e. you're away from the computer, you'll come back and find all your mines exhausted and it does take about 12-18 hours to get them all up and running again thanks to the time it takes to search for the mines, plus the resources of course to actually build the buggers in the first place.

I've increased my tool production capability now, so at least I can level the mines up when I build them.

But overall, my point was one of wasting resources. If you pull the mine down you get some resources back, if it gets exhausted you get zero resources back - that is ridiculous. As is not getting any of the upgrade resources back - but that applies to all buildings not just mines, tbh.

Planning is fine if you're on the game day in day out - some of us do try and have lives though and that means we don't always get a chance to get online to manage the mine depletion plan.
    I, for one, would like the developers to allow you to get back the same number of resources you used to 1) build & 2) upgrade your various mines. That would compensate for the actual remaining product you're losing IF you tear it down as it nears the end of it's usefulness. If you level up to 3 on your mines, I think you should get back the actual cost to get that mine UP TO level 3. Fair's fair, IMHO.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Elles0705 View Post
    I, for one, would like the developers to allow you to get back the same number of resources you used to 1) build & 2) upgrade your various mines. That would compensate for the actual remaining product you're losing IF you tear it down as it nears the end of it's usefulness. If you level up to 3 on your mines, I think you should get back the actual cost to get that mine UP TO level 3. Fair's fair, IMHO.
    What are you going to do with all the excess resources that will build up in your storage?
    Trade?
    But everyone else is having the same issues. So they don't need to buy your excess.

The current system in place makes sure that we don't unbalance the game with excess resources.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    I see the issue here being a slow paced game that people are trying to play fast and not happy when it doesnt work out well.

Why have the demand for iron or copper or coal so extremely high, that you have to upgrade them to level 3 to meet demand for the resource?

I have upgraded masons, as they mine the deposit and still remain after the deposit has gone, but mines that become depleted and need to be demolished and re-found with a geologist, are pretty pointless to upgrade.

If you make what you consume in iron ore for example lower than all iron mines on the map at level 1, then you will always be able to log off for a fairly long while and not loose too much resources or production. Better in fact if you can make your production consume a lot less than all the mines of one type, then you can have pre-found deposits ready for when you log in and find some are exhausted out. Ready for you to stick a new mine on while geologist is out searching the depleted ones again.

I know this would greatly slow down your production rates, but isnt that better than logging in to a disaster?

Maybe a sliding scale on an upgraded building would help, so you can upgrade it, but when you are going to be offline for a vacation or whatever, you could lower its level down to level 1 temporarily, so its demand for materials would be less.
    If you have enough licenses you could build a lower level building and keep the higher one sleeping unless you are online.

Once the Economic Overview screen is implemented, I hope it will also detail when a mine would run out, so youll have a fairer idea, of how soon you'd need to log back in to replace it.

The stats are there in the mine, stating how much they use up of the resource and how often, its not hard to work out that a mine might not last until you can get back online again, the information is there.

Perhaps also having friends buff your level 2 mines instead of level 3, with baskets that last 9 hours each, would actually make you generate more resource than level 3 mines would on thier own. Also then, your mines would last considerably longer too.

If you purposely make your demand for these mines so high, and upgrade them so they high they wont last long, then you cant really complain that after a day they are all mined out, and certainly cant blame anyone else but yourself for doing so.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    "I see the issue here being a slow paced game that people are trying to play fast and not happy when it doesnt work out well."

Well said Ceran. This game is not a race of who comes first . The beauty is you can play at your own pace and so if mines gets depleted when you come back start your economy again no problem as we are all on an island and nowwhere to go lol apart from adv of course.

No prizes for who reaches level 50 or so . Reaching levels at your own pace and get rewards is same than one reaching them faster. Yes I would agree if it was a race to reach higher levels but in this game take your time enjoy the game.

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooberix View Post
    "I see the issue here being a slow paced game that people are trying to play fast and not happy when it doesnt work out well."

Well said Ceran. This game is not a race of who comes first . The beauty is you can play at your own pace and so if mines gets depleted when you come back start your economy again no problem as we are all on an island and nowwhere to go lol apart from adv of course.

No prizes for who reaches level 50 or so . Reaching levels at your own pace and get rewards is same than one reaching them faster. Yes I would agree if it was a race to reach higher levels but in this game take your time enjoy the game.
    It's not just a problem for people who are trying to play fast. It's also a problem for those that do not have the time to spend 2 hours at the game every 8 hours to send out the geologist(s) and rebuild the mines. It's not about getting an excess of resources, it's avoiding the frustration of constantly running out.

None of the other buildings collapse when they run out of resources, they just get an exclamation mark... so why not the mines? You'd still have to send out the geologist to rediscover the deposit, so it's not a matter of not having to attend at all. It's just a matter of accommodating those with a little less time, keeping it fun for all (it IS a game after all)

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    it is meant to be a material sink and timesink

materials to rebuild mine and/or buy refills from the shop. The fact that (gold) mines are expensive to build, makes it more attractive to buy parrots with gems to refill the mine.

Upgrading mines costs tools and so you pay a price to harvest faster. That is why you have this mechanism. It is one of the design features to ensure a steady stream of gems being sold and so the game being funded. Of course they can design neverending supplies or mines getting refilled by just a geologist searching for it- but that would seriously alter the economic equation - esp on higher lvl resources mines and therefore impact the earning model.

It is F2P so expect things in place to make it attractive to buy gems.

If you dont have the time to send out and rebuild lands you can chose to go slower and dont have those bottlenecks, it is perfectly viable as well as a game and doesnt take away a lot for gameplay- just speed of progression. Or gear production in a different way and have a trademodel, preferable with some fixed tradepartners so you sell what u produce and buy what you need and youc an stock up on all the resources that normally run out while producing something like coal from coking the pine wood, which when set up properly doesnt run out ever

A whole lot is about frame of mind

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    I'm getting a bit tired of the mining/fountain/field mini-game, it feels like as I get higher and higher level, I spend a much greater amount of time having to macro manage all the rebuilding, its not fun coming back to the game and having to replace 20fountains, 40 wheat fields and 20 mines while only being able to queue 3 at most.

I like the idea of buildings not collapsing, they could just run down to 0 and stay at 0, if you want free resources then demolish it manually at 0 and send out a geo to find new resources there.

An additional idea would be to allow idle geologists to search for random materials, which could be deposited in the veins rather than the mayors house, it would provide a way to refill mines without using gems but there would be some luck involved with getting the resources you actually want.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by pietjepukkie View Post
    It's not just a problem for people who are trying to play fast. It's also a problem for those that do not have the time to spend 2 hours at the game every 8 hours to send out the geologist(s) and rebuild the mines. It's not about getting an excess of resources, it's avoiding the frustration of constantly running out.

None of the other buildings collapse when they run out of resources, they just get an exclamation mark... so why not the mines? You'd still have to send out the geologist to rediscover the deposit, so it's not a matter of not having to attend at all. It's just a matter of accommodating those with a little less time, keeping it fun for all (it IS a game after all)
    Totally agree, you got it spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualan View Post
    it is meant to be a material sink and timesink

materials to rebuild mine and/or buy refills from the shop. The fact that (gold) mines are expensive to build, makes it more attractive to buy parrots with gems to refill the mine.

Upgrading mines costs tools and so you pay a price to harvest faster. That is why you have this mechanism. It is one of the design features to ensure a steady stream of gems being sold and so the game being funded. Of course they can design neverending supplies or mines getting refilled by just a geologist searching for it- but that would seriously alter the economic equation - esp on higher lvl resources mines and therefore impact the earning model.

It is F2P so expect things in place to make it attractive to buy gems.

If you dont have the time to send out and rebuild lands you can chose to go slower and dont have those bottlenecks, it is perfectly viable as well as a game and doesnt take away a lot for gameplay- just speed of progression. Or gear production in a different way and have a trademodel, preferable with some fixed tradepartners so you sell what u produce and buy what you need and youc an stock up on all the resources that normally run out while producing something like coal from coking the pine wood, which when set up properly doesnt run out ever

A whole lot is about frame of mind
    As far as I'm concerned (and in the FB game I will one day code), you should never *have* to spend real money to effectively play a game, nor should it make you log in for an hour or two a day!

Get the balance right between getting them to come back daily, but not make it feel like a chore and use real money in order to speed your way through things is fine. But where the mines are concerned, I found I was having to buy buffs to refill them because it was too much of a chore to restart them all again once they had expired and the loss of resources because they collapse is unacceptable, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotugo View Post
    I'm getting a bit tired of the mining/fountain/field mini-game, it feels like as I get higher and higher level, I spend a much greater amount of time having to macro manage all the rebuilding, its not fun coming back to the game and having to replace 20fountains, 40 wheat fields and 20 mines while only being able to queue 3 at most.

I like the idea of buildings not collapsing, they could just run down to 0 and stay at 0, if you want free resources then demolish it manually at 0 and send out a geo to find new resources there.

An additional idea would be to allow idle geologists to search for random materials, which could be deposited in the veins rather than the mayors house, it would provide a way to refill mines without using gems but there would be some luck involved with getting the resources you actually want.
    Yup, you should be able to send a geologist out to refill a mine, rather than find a new one, that combined with mines not collapsing, would more or less fix this issue & get me back playing again.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    vacation mode would b a really good idea

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by stooge View Post
    vacation mode would b a really good idea
    You can stop production for buildings manually and the game also pauses when you haven't logged on for more than 24 hours

Reply to Thread