Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Trade system is strongly in need of improvement.

World
    Northisle

Post The Trade system is strongly in need of improvement.

Even at the best of times the trade system is cumbersome to use with posted offers needing not only to be accepted by the customer but also to be acknowledged by the seller before the trade is done.

Users who go offline at unpredictable intervals (for god only knows how long) makes it even worse.

Eg:
    1) User A want to sell 400 longbows for 50 gold coins. He puts up an offer on the market, then goes to bed for the night.
    2) Users B, C, D, ... ,Y and Z respond to the offer (that is very cheap for longbows), they want to buy.
    3) If user A was still online he could instantly accept one offer and reject the rest. B would be happy and C through Z would feel rejected and wonder why.
    But in this case user A has gone offline, the trade hang, waiting for him with 50 gold coins from each of B through Z hanging with it. They just have to wait. Even if a better offer should appear they cannot change their mind and take it because their coins are reserved to A's offer until A responds, or else the trade is autocancelled after 8 hours of inactivity.
    4) 20 minutes later users AA, AB, AC, ..., AZ also respond to the offer, it is still there on the list and will stay there until either 8 hours have passed, or until A deletes it by making another offer. another 26 * 50 coins gets tied up in an inescapeable wait. And then the next group, and the next, ...

Apparently the paradigm used is that of a factory outlet. With infinite quantities to sell.

Here in Settlers that is highly inappropriate, most people placing offers on the market only have those '400 bows' and would be incapable of accepting a second trade even if they wanted to.

Another thing wrong with it is that the initiator (User A) retain full control of the goods he put up for sale, He could train longbowmen if he gets the notion rendering himself incapable of accepting even a single response. The responders on the other hand take all the risk unable to know if the 50 gold they put up will be lost to them for the next 8 hours. That is not something that makes trading a pleasant experience.

We need a different paradigm, and I would suggest 'the shelf in the grocery store'.
    Customers arrive, look at the shelf, point and say "I want one og those". the goods is right there on the shelf and the transaction can be instantly concluded, even by an automated clerk like the Settler server.

There will be edge situations like when 2 customers point simultaneously at the same can but those are fairly easily (and quickly) resolved by the clerk deciding 'who came first'. "Sorry sir, that can was sold an instant ago." and the can disappear from his view, and from the the view of everyone else who update the market list.

Here it is the seller (who dont want the goods) who gets his goods 'tied up' the customers never have to put up their payment unless the goods are really available.

Now I sell a lot, I LIKE it that 50 people can respond to each offer I make, and never put up an offer unless I can accept at least 10 responses and usually a lot more. So I want to be able to put several identical cans on that shelf in one go, It is an addition to current abilities but easily handle-able in the 'the shelf in the grocery store' format.

I also want to be able to keep an eye on my offers on the shelf. Please make my own offers visible to me just like any other offer. I cannot imagine a single reason that should not be the case even with the current system. It took me quite a while (and several dissatisfied customers) to figure out that offers stayed on the list for up to 8 hours unless replaced by a different offer.

best regards
    ~ Angua Whisper

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    yawn- old news

It is already in the works- a quick search would have saved u a lot of effort

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    I agree with this suggestion there needs to be some sort of cancel button on trades so if you make a mistake and send a trade you don't want you can cancel it

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    One thing that i think shud be implemented as soon as possible is an increase in trading amounts, having to trade 10k of goods in 400 packets takes some time and ends with cramp in ur hand. I dont know anything about programming but i wouldnt think its too hard to make this happen

World
    Northisle
    Please read the Devs Diary It clearly says that they are working on updating the Trade System and there is a thread in suggestions all about suggestions for improvements to the Trading System. These include adding a trading section to the tutorial, implementing a cancel function and so on and so on.

We all feel the same about the trading system and there have bee hundreds of posts about it which im sure the developers do read, but you need to remember that these things take time to put in place and re posting the same threads over and over again will do nothing but annoy people.

World
    Northisle
    I agree with what has been said so far. Surely it's simply a matter of enhancing the trade set-up to include the number of times the offer is to be made.

I dislike the fact that TSO trading system allows multiple offers to be made leaving it the responsibility of the player to either cancel the trade once fulfilled and/or reject the excess offers. It's appears rude to decline a players offer without being able to explain the reason why.

Travians has a trading system that requires the player to state the quantity of the item being offered and the number of lots being sold. EG; Crop 100 x 10 means the seller is offering 100 crops and has 10 lots to sell. This system is easy to use and works well. A system similar to this will also allow the player to trade more than the currently capped 400 units in TSO trading.
    Last edited by Ragamuffin; 17.04.12 at 08:27.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Hi so i was thinking about the trade system, i found it a bit annoying that the person that has put up the trade can have your resources until they decide if they want to trade or not, so my solution is that you can chose like a timer on how long time they have to decide if they want to accept or decline your offer on the trade.
    Like i you want to give them 2 days or only a couple of hours, and maby even indefently.

Cuz now it feels like i have only gotten half back from what i have offered in the trade.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Why cant we select a product we require and get only that one instead of trawling through a long list with all resources in it

World
    Northisle
    Logging on a few minutes ago, I received acceptance of a trade I'd agreed to this afternoon. The trade was automatically accepted so I assume I had sufficient resource to honour my side of the trade ... but what would happen if I didn't? This was a trade agreement from around 2:30 pm today, which I had forgotten about, and I have done quite a lot of building and development since I agreed to this trade. Most frustrating :-(

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjon View Post
    Why cant we select a product we require and get only that one instead of trawling through a long list with all resources in it
    You can clik on the column header in each colum to get that column sorted, that makes is fairly easy to scroll down to 'all the people wanting eggs' or 'all the people selling Hardwood planks'.

Reply to Thread