Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PVP v Single Player

World
    Northisle
    I personally never liked PvP. In any game. I don't like competition and don't care to struggle to try to be on top just to stay "alive". PvP stands for "player vs player" if one of the two doesn't want to, then it becomes bullying. Nothing else. I fear that it might become a matter of "gem buyers = stronger" and I don't want to start buying gems. I don't want to NEED to. And some people can't be "civilised" about PVP either. Pick on someone weaker and then act all tough when they win. Maybe it's just due to personal bad experiences. I do realise that not everyone is like that. I don't mind the people who DO like PvP. To each their own. But I don't want those people to bully me into fighting them and then laugh at me when they win. Play the game how you like to and let me play how I like to I'm not good at PvP and I'm not looking for a challenge. I do hope there's a chance to "refuse" to pvp.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    No PVP. My lifestyle means in an average week I can pop onto the game each day for a very short time period and only in the evening. I'd have no chance of defending myself against those players who are on for considerably longer. Leave it as it is.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    This game does need PvP, but ofcource with that option, that players who want to play PvP, enters the PvP mode, and those who decides to just build up , can also do that in peace and no worries that they get attacked when they are offline.

There should be your island moved in PvP mode, two incoming areas where the hostile troops arrive in, so there is only two areas that You need to be worried with defences. If You are part of a Guild, there should be certain amount of alliance members that can send reinforcing troops to defend your island if they wish to do that. And also there is maxed amount of attacking players at once, so there could not be 50 players coming to You at once.

Also when player enters the PvP mode, it will be certain time until You can come off of that mode, like 6 hours or something like that. What comes to recourses, winning player should receive some % amount of losing players recources, not too much but not too little either, also few strategic issues should be add, so You actually can choose few modes of defences and attacking.

It`s just an Idea what it could be, so everyone would be happy like this, PvP players can have their battles, and builders can build up.

So basicly You are always in Pve mode, but when you like to do some action, you have option to enter in PvP mode and have some fun.

World
    Northisle
    I don't like the idea of pvp, just because this game is really slow to accomplish anything, so just someone higher level player could destroy everything you have worked on months and months planning everything carefully.. I think pvp works out better in faster paced games. And I also don't like bullying these kinds of games attract (when attacking weaker target) or worrying constantly my game when not online.. But some shared conquest maps and points competition would be an option.. Like conquering areas faster than others in different mode.. Not on your island. And that would be optional too..
    Last edited by Taija; 20.04.12 at 20:46.

World
    Sandycove
    I definitely want any vague hint of PvP to be entirely optional - I would like to permanently opt out in advance. I do not feel living in fear of attack or pillaging adds anything good to the game, and I do not derive any pleasure from destroying others' work.

Beyond my personal preferences, PvP is an option that would make the youngest players cry and leave the game (pegi7 and all that).

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    The Settlers Online without PvP is just another Farm Ville... Whats the point leveling up your character and buildings if not to challenge other players. I for one don't get much out of following other peoples 'combat guides', beating up bots has never been very satisfying.

This game without PvP would get very boring, signing on to refill mines and replace depleted fields isn't personally my kind of fun. Competitive play creates a real challenge that hopefully cant be predetermined, thus making every PvP match different and more exciting.

Of course an opt in, opt out would be better. Players main island would be untouchable.

Maybe the perk of PvP'ing would be to have control over an exclusive island that allows you to discover and produce Exotic wood planks or Granite. It would be a good idea to increase the production time however, that can be easily done by not allowing players to build storehouses on the new island, meaning the materials would need to be shipped back to your main island.

That was just my thoughts, in any case this game needs PvP desperately.
    Last edited by Sinister-King; 29.05.12 at 12:01.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Even opt-in for fights on home-island is awkward: one day you opt-in to fight your favorite buddy, the next day 100's players strike at you.

Fighting for islands just like in adventures could be fun. I have still no idea, how BB could get the balancing right, but I am sure, they will surprise me in a positive way.

How the battle system should work, I have no idea. Is one side going to build camps and towers? Have the participating sides their start places and can either build camps or attack enemy camps? Perhaps some kind of "capture the towers": a map has a balanced number of towers, the war starts once both side have occupied their towers and can now attack tower by tower. Winning side would be, who owns all towers long enough. And cannoneers are dominating the field...

IF there will be PvP on home islands, can I build camps and towers? When I defend, will I just sit and wait, re-recruiting military and attaching them to my towers? Will there be a full Guild attacking me, say 100 vs 1? Can my own Guild send troops for my defense? Is there a warning, when I am attacked? How long is this warning?

BB told us, that PvP will takes months to be implemented, which is a good sign, since they need to get many things right.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I have played a few PVP's before and the main problem I found with them is, unless you have been playing for ages you do not stand a chance. A new player to the game, once loses his new game status just gets attacked and attacked by those who have played for ages and have been able to build up big armies, they never get the chance to reach the same level.
    Those who have played for a long time will alaways have the advantage over new comers to the game.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    There's nothing worse in PvP games than feeling like you need to be on 24/7 to guard against attacks. My suggestion for PvP would be tournament style gatherings, possibly once a month or even weekly mini-tournaments, with different categories depending on the player level or if they will participate solo or as a team. Prizes and titles could be awarded for success. Titles could possibly offer increased production till the next tournament, so there would be something worth playing for (and to defend for the reigning champions). There's a lot of scope for discussion on this, but I think it would certainly be better than free for all PvP with high level players beating on the little guys all the time.
    Last edited by Chromeboy; 30.05.12 at 12:58.

Reply to Thread