Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggested buildings

World
    Northisle

Suggested buildings

With the knowledge of previous Settler games:

Papermill (pine/hard wood -> paper)
    Book binder (paper -> book)
    Candle maker (bee-hive (like a wheat field)-> Candle), additionally honey for honey mead perhaps? Either extra building or an option to switch a brewer from wheat to honey.

Church(!) - To use books, beer, candles and coin (maybe not bother with a jeweller?) to recruit monks, cardinals, etc?
    Possible use: convert enemy troops, buff economy (threefold? fourfold maybe even?), buff troops (extra damage, or take less damage; applied on a particular general)?

Grape farm - produces grapes (with grape fields like wheat?)
    Winery - Grapes -> wine (extra buff ingredient? Longer buff? or threefold?)

Apple farm - produces apples (buff ingredient?)

Dairy farm - produces cheese
    Pigfarm - wheat + water -> meat; this may be a balancing puzzle make it worth getting it yet still a worthy alternative next to hunter?

Shepard - produces wool
    Weaver - Turns wool into clothes

Harbour - shorten travel time to adventure with 5% of base value each level (added storage as bonus?).
    Possible addition:
    Shipwright - hardwood (possibly other materials as well) -> ships: used at harbour to shorten travel time for a period of time (global buff, all generals, to shorten bringing lots of troops with 1 general)?

Or combine the two, harbour and shipwright, into one independent building: make it work like provision house, of the size of the barracks, where it only consumes materials when you make the buff, and then the buff has to be applied to the general's garrison. And could only be built on a "harbour node", much like the other resource nodes work, except no resources there.

Just my 2 cents..
    Last edited by WickedMouse; 20.04.12 at 02:29.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Harbour has been mentioned somewhere as a way to get new lands. I like the idea of being able to bild ships to. Some good ideas in there. Not sure what we'd do with apples but I like it lol

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    a few problems- lines that produce an item that is the same basic item but improved working will just replace the old lines- no one would run the old ones really
    space- or lack of it- the islands will not support these new lines in size. The current space just runs out ofr people at the higher lvl so unless there is more space- there is no real possibility to introduce new lines of production
    complexity of game mechanics- it is still a browser game- if the mechanics get made too complex, this will impact serverside needed hardware- which needs to be earned back from shop sales

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    I think your suggestions are great, WickedMouse, and that they would add a lot of fun and interest to the game.

Qualan is correct in that the islands will not support new production lines, but personally, I'd far rather see the game redesigned to accommodate this type of expansion. I don't agree that any of WickedMouse's ideas are unduly complex.

I would also like to see a Carpenter whose development would (drastically!) reduce building upgrade times.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedMouse View Post
    Shepard - produces wool
    There are sheepfarms at adventure isles and they look uberly cute... but BB has told me that sheepfarms are not on the list of the to-be-released-buildings *cry*

World
    Northisle
    I haven't run out of space yet, but then again I've reached only lvl 31 now, at the time of writing. And maybe in the future they will increase our home zone with new sectors? Or give is a second island to look after?

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    mmm, must be doing something wrong as I have loads of room left (no licenses though!) so could build stacks of buildings - I know that some people have more buildings than I do (200 more).perhaps when I get to a high lvl I will find the same buildings constriction (only lvl 39 at time of writing and no more planned for when I hit lvl 40 in the next week)

I think the range suggested is a good idea, and at the end of the day as everything is a tradeoff, someone might have to do without a building here or there to allow these new buildings - a further skill for higher lvl players

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Nice ideas

Something I have been thinking that would be nice is the following:

University

Base building that works in a similar manor to the provisions house

Suggested tabs/options within university:

1 - Work Schedule - Allows player to assign a time of the day for their geologists and explorers to be assigned a task automatically. Using this facility will mean each unit assigned will have its task time increased by a factor of 1.5.

2 - Buffs - Allows player to assign a time of day to automatically buff selected buildings. Using this facility will only work on the set person's settlement, so players are unable to buff friends settlements and benefit from the bonus factor of 1.5x buff duration.

This building would be available as a gem item and maybe from a special event. It would enable players to have the ability to enhance their settlement productivity while not actually playing the game. It is aimed at assisting players with busy work/school schedules rather than discourage people from logging on, hence the 'trade offs' of using such options.

Buying the building would not provide you with the above options, but only the building to which you can add options to. Each option can again be purchased with gems and will also have a low drop chance in some of the less popular adventures, so to encourage players to sample all the content, where at present they may be discouraged due to there being better adventures to repeat over and over.

With such a building it would also allow players to personalize their settings to meet their real life needs and provide BB with a nice new addition to keep the £ coming in. Also it would be a building that can be gifted, so being open to all players.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    It would be great if you can also build beautification type buildings, like statues, benches, flower beds, or for the more sinister among us, hangman's noose, dunking stools and such (some of them can optionally give some bonuses to buildings in a certain radius around them, like faster output and such)

Reply to Thread