Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: [Dev Diary] April 2012

World
    Newfoundland
    Adding a PvP element will alienate a lot of people. BlueByte have to be very careful about how they do it.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

World
    Newfoundland
    Not adding a pvp element or adding it in a useless way will alienate a lot of people too. It’s all I’m really waiting for to continue playing the game, without it being something to sink your teeth into there is very little point in playing the game.

Whatever they do I’m sure they will alienate some from both sides of the issue regarding pvp. The trick will be making sure they keep the majority on both sides by giving them both what they want without impacting on each others needs.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    It seems obvious that some people will want to opt out of PvP, while others will actively want to participate. Some kind of indication of what you're getting into would be useful, otherwise experienced players will just look for newbies to trounce, but showing each other the troops available is not the way to do this. Perhaps something as simple as displaying the level of the player you're about to engage would suffice.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Hmmm... I imagined the PvP 'adventures' to be very similar to the normal adventures, where tactics matter more than raw power. I figured you could randomly give each player a few zones, and tell them to 'conquer' all zones, which should force the gameplay to gravitate towards tactics, but that's probably just wishfull thinking from my side. If it's just one zone versus the other it'd be just one massive brawl, and then I'd agree showing the details of the armies in advance would be... boring. Actually... a dumb raw-power-based brawl would be boring no matter which way you slice it. Where's the fun in it if it all comes down to numbers?
    The problem with showing 'just' the levels of both players is that levels don't mean much. Levels don't reflect the raw power players have. And it doesn't show whether or not they have a veteran (which makes a huge difference in tactics & odds). Rather than exact details of the armies, how about just 'which' units they have and the total number of units they have? That way, they'll know if they're up against a veteran or not and they'll have an indication of raw power, but they won't know whether that other player has 99c and 1s or 1c and 99s and anything in between. It'd increase unpredictability and challenge, without throwing players into the brawling pit. Though I still hope it's adventure-like =P.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    liking these updates a lot. Would love to see the time limit removed from trades, or ability to set them manually implemented. Didnt catch that in explanation. only the amount of trades i think.