Reply to Thread

Thread: Guild Leadership Control/Counterfeit Certificates

Goatsmasher

Exclamation Guild Leadership Control/Counterfeit Certificates

OK this might have been already posted by some other, but hear me out.

Problem 1: To evolve as a community in this game you need to have players, a guild requires members. To get more members the guild has to come up with a solution on how to process gold coins and turn them into counterfeit certificates.
    A guild can have deputy leaders, all with the same privileges as the founder except one - increasing the size of the guild. The founder of the guild is the ONLY one who can apply these certificates, thus creating an unnecessary frustration throughout the leadership - the founder can not be on-line all the time, with the increasing amount of members and the increasing demand for admittance to the guild access to applying certificates would need to be unlimited and available to the leadership.

As you may imagine, this has happened within my guild, and various suggestions and possible solutions have sprung to mind. One of the most controversial but more valid (If problem 1 is impossible to solve) -

Problem 2: Switching/Passing the privileges of the founder, yes we have even tried this and it is isn't possible, but why?
    Isn't the founder allowed to go on holiday? What if the founder decides to not play any more? Would the guild be doomed if so?
    I think some fair ground should be put in place somewhere, I just don't like the idea of all that hard work going to waste if the founder does decide to pack the game. Think about it guys..

A solution to these problems could easily be implemented in one of the future updates, I've seen your progress in your dev diary and I'm really impressed, I hope you take this discussion as pure feedback and not trash.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    +1

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Supported. Makes sense to me.. Ogame had a "right-hand" system to enable the transfer of an Alliance from its leader to someone with the powers that the leader gave to allow for Alliance transfers which kept them busy. Okay they had no cost for new members strictly written into the game but perhaps a similar system should be implimented?
    Or at least allow Leaders to select officers to add certificates too when they can.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

What makes a good Guild and what is a bad Guild

It might seem obvious on the surface that a Guild is a group of players that work together, cooperate, help each other, share resources and enjoy each others company. All very altruistic of course. Unfortunately such groups inevitably attract parasites. People who are all take and little or no give. A major part of the Guild Leaaderships role is to be on the lookout for such people and weed them out quickly. When the parasite is a Guild Officer, and obviously there are people who will create a Guild for the purpose of 'milking' members, you really should leave and leave quickly. The first rule of Guild Leadership is respect for your members. The leadership serves the members NOT the other way around. The moment a Guild Officer or Leader introduces any kind of 'rule' that members must adhere to, get out. Even if the rule seems superficially altruistic. No rules should be introduced by a Guild Officer without full, free and open discussion by all members. Again, unfortunately, there are many people who think the words Leader and Officer invest the holder with some sort of authority. It does not....the leadership serves the membership not the other way around. In short....joining a Guild can be great....but go in with your eyes open and keep them open.

Goatsmasher
    Thankyou Saltwin. :P

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatsmasher View Post
    A guild can have deputy leaders, all with the same privileges as the founder except one - increasing the size of the guild. The founder of the guild is the ONLY one who can apply these certificates,
    Just so you know, Guild Admins can also increase the size of the guild using the certificates - they just need to have built a guild hall as well on their map.

Taking your suggestion and modifying it though - it would be helpful if Guild Admins had the ability to promote other guild members to guild admin, and not just the leader. Also, if the leader stops playing for a certain amount of time (e.g. 3 months), the game should automatically give the longest serving (and active) Guild Admin the leader role. This means that if the leader stops playing the game the guild can still continue to function. This is only really a problem because of the fact that you have to pay to expand the size of the guild.

+1 to Saltwin's comment too. Think of the guild as a union and every member is responsible for the good running of the guild.

Goatsmasher
    Ok I can tell that you and Saltwin have been on this game far longer than I judging by your enthusiasm and server info, I can also tell you that this guild were running is very successful within the Sandycove server and were all very happy with the way it is run, we have made amends to scrap the single leader ideal and continue with a democratic joint leadership.. 5 members (which promotes the problem with not being able to apply certificates), each with their own role, members who show promise are also given the chance to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinStare View Post
    Just so you know, Guild Admins can also increase the size of the guild using the certificates - they just need to have built a guild hall as well on their map.
    I have heard of this rumour, any chance you can back this up with evidence?

Thank you for your tips on running a guild though

Goatsmasher
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinStare View Post
    This is only really a problem because of the fact that you have to pay to expand the size of the guild.
    I agree. Otherwise a shift to a new guild would be possible.

I also want to add: The possibility of modifying the guild name and/or guild abbreviation would be grateful too, I'm not saying I want to, but its easy for someone to name their guild something.. against the profanity regulations.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Supported. Makes perfect sense being able to defer to other 'officers'.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Currently to rename the guild it has to be dissolved - it can not be rebuilt for 24 hours with the new name and abbreviation. Similarly after leaving a guild a person has to wait 24 hours before they are able to accept an invitation to either rejoin or join another guild

Reply to Thread