Thread: Gem prices

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    next up, from the test server!

gem mine = £100
    everlasting copper mine = £100
    at 20,000 gems each

I'm guessing next fine addition will be a 200 settler house for 80,000 gems or £400

$$$

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    As an ex gem buyer I have to say I think BB do a great job in keeping the gem cost so high.....

If the gems was cheaper then the game would be much easier and everyone would be L50 within 3 months. As an example why would anyone trade on the trade tab, people would use the gems to buy stock and mine fillers, and everyone would have lots of gem purchased Nobles and gold parrots.

BB has to keep most people more interested in trading than in guying gems to balance the economy - its an essential part of the game. A small number of high value gem players keeps the game interesting from the perspective of peoples aspirations especially within guilds and this helps to create a good community of friends and support.

Have I spent a lot on gems - yes. Have I gained an advantage over non gem buyers or casual buyers - yes. Do I regret buying them - no. Do I still buy them - no, there's only so far gems can take you.....

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    Oh and for those that wonder about silos - 2 fields surrounded by 8 farms and 8 silos all at the same level makes for a maintenance free production chain.....

World
    Newfoundland
    So long as the numbers stay the same on live servers its going to cost around £70 to buy a gem mine or endless copper mine. That is ridiculous! Even if we put aside the question of is it worth it or not (which it oh so very much isn’t) this is meant to be a pegi7 rated game, no average 8 year olds parents are going to let there kid spend £70 on a single building in a little web browser game!

Most things in this game are way over priced. If it’s about making money then I would argue its better to have 10,000 people paying £10 each then 500 people paying £100 each. No matter what they do if they allow useful things to be brought with real life money then those that can and do pay will have an advantage. But surely the fairer thing to do is to design the game and buildings/features that cost money so that the price is not so inhibiting all on its own?

The endless copper mine should half the time it takes to get ore and cost 5000 gems, max!

The Gem Pit should take 3-4 months to get back the extra gems not 1.4 years! Imo the gem pit shouldn’t even be available at all. If anything it goes a step further then just robbing us blind it forces us to stick with the game for years in order to see the investment in it get returned. It basicly turns 20,000 gems into 40,000 gems. I'd rather just wait for a 50% sale to happen again, same thing only instant.

The cost of the extra building slots are stupidly overpriced too. Maybe if you got all 3 for the cost of what one is now it might be a little better. The advantage they give are not worth the price. What’s the point in bring in a new feature so few if any will buy?

The prices of most things in game are terrible especially when you look at what the items you can buy actually do.

10x Explorers
    +10 Licences
    A few jolly geologists
    1x 250 General

There the only really useful things that make a valid return in the game and while they still cost extortionate prices are still worth getting if you can afford to. Everything else is either too expensive for what it does or no matter the cost still pointless to spend gems on in the first place.

If a fridge was acquired under the free to play scheme you would have a nice large fridge with loads of space and shelves in it. But all you would be able to use is a 30cm by 30cm space in the top left. If you wanted to use the whole top shelf you would need to pay £100. If you wanted the middle shelf it would be £90 and the bottom shelf £80. The door compartments would cost £50 each and if you wanted to use the fridge for special events like Summer time that would cost another £100. Where by if you just brought a fridge out right under the old pay to play scheme then you could have brought the fridge for £200 and be done with it. The problem and what’s making things worse is this game is charging more like £500 for the top shelf or £200 for the middle shelf that you can’t fit anything of average size in so is useless.

Its 'free to frustrate' not free to play.
    Last edited by Dopey; 29.05.12 at 23:21.

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Nothing wrong with the 'gem mine' and 'unlimited copper mine' prices.

By the looks of it, the gems will be a trade-able resource. If someone or some people are producing 40k gems, eventually they'll end up on trade so we can all save up for unlimited copper mines =).

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    the cost of the gem mine is too high for what you get its good value as you get double the amount of gems over time ..does take a long time though it would of been better to have a mine a quarter of the cost with a quarter of the amount of gems inside.. same end product just more chance ppl could afford it. i buy gems but even i wouldnt pay that money hell a gem mine and a endless copper mine together with a general and anything else i could go buy a new games console

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    the cost of gems are ridiculous. i can only think that some marketing person convinced BB to set the prices like this. I would be more than happy to buy gems, but they are not micro transactions, you are asking for more money than a boxed retail game costs to purchase something fairly trivial.

there is a reason that pound shops are so popular - you will get more income from low prices and high turnover than the other way round. And this will also stop the bad will lots of people feel when we see how much you are trying to rip people off.

World
    Northisle
    It's interesting that Ubi Soft have not replied to any of the comments.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think the Gem mine is greedy, game breaking and really poor idea.

The cost of stuff in this game is all wrong, the prices are made up based on a small player base not a growing game, BB neeeed a new product manager when it comes to setting prices.

They should be instilling a culture of buying and using gems, small qty's but lots and lots of transactions - then when people run out they feel hanicapped... but its not going to break the bank topping back up - MOBILE APP PRICING POLICY would work best for this game

Look at the price (and game play) of wow - wow is far far cheaper to play, has way way more game play, has better graphics, has better community/& features and costs roughly 1 Gem mine to play FOR THE WHOLE YEAR.

This game doesn't change fast enough or have enough content to make a half dedicated player want or need to buy these items unless your super hardcore.

Effectively these items just make you play less, you buy silo's, water mills etc etc and you need to login for less time.... this anti-gaming approach is not very well thought out and near a polar opposite to how most games make you play... people will get board with settlers i'm afraid unless things get changed rapidly.

afterall, whats the point of playing when you get the same results from being offline.... your resources automatically build up - you can then login in to do an adventure twice a week but it doesn't really provide you with anything worthwhile or unique to give an advantage over others that can't / haven't done it.

game logic is flawed here majorly, such a shame as well as it has such promise but poor management and no proper long term plan (bar pvp.... err yay)

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yup gem mine will destroy TSO and its economy.

All you need is 1 gem mines, you can then convert that into 2 gem mines... then 4, 8 etc gem mines. Your making 500k gems within a few days and selling golden parrots for 1c and still becoming the richest person in TSO.

Unlimited copper mine is a brilliant idea and a good price, I got nothing against 20k gems. The gem mine has potential to be a game breaker, especially if you can gift them.
    Last edited by Sinister-King; 30.05.12 at 11:39.

Reply to Thread