Closed Thread

Thread: Welsh Language Room

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove

Welsh Language Room

Hello, this is my first post in the forum, hopefully the first of many positive encounters, but to the point.

I am from Wales, a sub-country of the United Kingdom, in the United Kingdom server there are rules prohibiting the use of languages other than English, but as someone who speaks Welsh (and wishes to improve it while I relax playing settlers online (I remember the first game on the amiga commodore)) I feel disallowed from speaking my native tongue on my own country's server, something also illegal in Wales as English and Welsh hold equal status.

Could a rule change or extra room for Welsh speakers be implemented?

Merlyn. Diolch/Thanks

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    i dunno if i have to laugh or cry when i see this post.

Lets start:
    Hello, this is my first post in the forum, hopefully the first of many positive encounters
    I hope not, if this was positive, i hate to think how negative goes

in the United Kingdom server
    Look closely at the little flags in the top of the login page- yes, the gerion settings. It clearly states european english with a little Eu flag- i know that bites but it is the european region english language server. That doesn't make it the UK server just because english happens to be the official language there

in the United Kingdom server there are rules prohibiting the use of languages other than English
    Not true. There are 3 channels where english is the common tongue to be used and as such other languages are not allowed. You can use whatever language you want in guild, whispers or can chose a variety of language channels- to be continued

I feel disallowed from speaking my native tongue on my own country's server
    here is the part of laugh and cry kicking in fulltime ..

You feel disallowed... I suggest to revisit that feeling and work on that chip on your shoulder. Rest assured it is your feeling that is at fault here- not Bluebyte nor the language policy. The language channel thing is quite simple- it becomes chaos and mayhem if there isn;t uniform language use in a chat- therefore language rules are in place. Any and all language requests are judged on their merits- well, not even that- judged by 2 simple touchstones:
    a) Are there enough of that particular languagegroup around playing the game to warrant a language channel set up for them (to avoid having 300 or 500 channels for all kinds of weird requests to humor 5 players)
    b) is there a language server in place or planned for that language already, in which case no separate languagechannel will be set up for that language

A very simple search would have shown this to you and maybe avoided that chip, or boulder on the shoulder

something also illegal in Wales as English and Welsh hold equal status
    boulder becomes mountain and using the wrong comparison, even reeking of other things best left outside of the scope of a game with erm a relaxing environment. Just leave nationalistic politics out of it- it has no place here. As no one is prohibiting you to speak welsh i don;t see how some welsh law is infringed- youc an speak it- in the appropriate settings. And as far as i know, the game company has incorporated all in Germany and operates the game under german law- good luck with that one. And yea- by the way- if is the european region english language server. It just happens to cater to other languages if enough language speakers of that particular language play the game and express wishes for a channel

Could a rule change or extra room for Welsh speakers be implemented?
    first point- i sure hope not- multiple languages in chatrooms lead to mayhem and worse. As to the second- a reasonable request- finally- If only the rest of your post was formulated in a neutral to positive way....

I still have no doubt, that if enough welsh speakers desire a welsh chat channel, it would probably be granted- so best find your buddies- get em to play and request (hopefully in a positive way) that channel

Merlyn. Diolch/Thanks
    conjure up a welsh channel? oop swrong gametype for that- but... you can try chatchannel 2 for some roleplay

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Make a welsh guild, can't be that hard to think of it your self ?

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    I didn't mean to be negative, My apologies for also having some facts wrong.

I will encourage other speakers to request as well, I do know players who can.

dnarag1m, I'm lvl 17, I haven't experimented with guilds yet.

Thank you for telling me the facts.
    Could a moderator now lock this thread?
    Last edited by Merlyn-Dytanus; 26.05.12 at 02:34.

Closed Thread