Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gold production and general trading values

World
    Sandycove
    Sorry, since there's no proper guide for the game online, I'm sort of lost on what actual use gold has...

I'm currently lvl 18 and, from what I can tell, the only way you can purchase anything is with gems; making it less of a "free" online game where you either must spend months playing, or paying real money to get more gems. Not even resources seem to be available for purchase with gold, so what's the point of it being there?
    Last edited by Tiletron; 21.06.12 at 19:11.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Tiletron, Gold is mostly used for building upgrades. For higher levels, a nice amount of gold is needed. Although it might not actually be necessary to upgrade most buildings very far (DISCLAIMER: I have bought Licenses instead).

As to "free / month playing / paying real money" - It is free, and you can pay money, too. As far as I see month playing is needed (when level 50 is your personal goal) with or without paying money. When people hear "free2play" they are sometimes upset, when the game gives incentives to pay money. I think "free2play" is fair as long as paying money doesn't give you too much advantages. Since this game is completely non-competitive, how can something be an unfair advantage? Licenses and the fast versions of explorer and geologist are benefits, but also achievable with rewarded gems. Most other options for gems are so ridiculously high-priced that they are obviously meant for those few players who has gotten crazy about their money spent. Every free2play title has some of them, and they paying large amounts of the bill, so I have heard. What is remarkable about settlers is, that many many game improvements are targeted against these sort of players. No, overall, it is fair free2play.

Back to topic, here's what and why I do: I prefer to build gold mines. I buff them eventually (no idea, what can be so thrilling about this game to be online enough for 24/7 buffing). As long as the market gives me more gold coins than I can build for myself with "eventually buffed" producers, I put my gold ore on the market. That is: other players are more efficient in buffing than I would be. Trading with them is of benefit for me and for them. I do not directly sell marble + planks, because I am not online enough for that many trade volume.

I have thought about coin-production for myself, since then I'd had an interesting minigame called "getting enough gold-ore for the gold smelter", which wouldn't be trivial, since it would exceed the production of marble I have, so I'd be forced to buff. I have decided until now to not do so, especially because the "fully buffed coin traders" on the market are so much more efficient than me.

Short: thanks anyone for buffing my gold ore into coins!

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Sandycove is a relevantly new server, hence the majority of players still need a lot of building resources on a daily basis. This means the gc cost of most items at this moment in time is more than likely going to make the gold industry look like it gives a pretty poor return vs the cost of building it. I remember having a whine about the same thing when prices were still high on Northisle.

As the server matures, on current design, demand for most resources will drop significantly as players reach higher levels... therefore the price on most resources will also plummet. At this point the gold industry will become viable, and offer a regular gc income when trading of resources is not so easy. So really... don't be upset at the gold industry not competing with the value of resources currently, be happy you can get such a high price for them resources and sell a bucket load

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    So if I am correct:
    A parrot (500 gold ore) costs you 250 gc (or something like that) and yields you 1000 gold ore (fully buffed).
    This 1000 gold ore yields you 1000 gold (fully buffed)
    This 1000 gold yields you 500 coins (fully buffed)
    So when excluding the costs for buffing (which relatively decreases on upgrading the chain) and excluding the costs of the setup and upgrading: 250 coins turns into 500 coins when you never let your mine deplete
    Or am I totally wrong?

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    As has been mentioned every server has a different economy so the actual profit per mine (i.e. discounting the investment cost of the buildings) varies hugely. I am of the personal opinion that an effective gold chain requires a fairly high level player who is committed (or has friends to assist on the buffing) in order for it to be worthwhile. It also requires that they're able to produce all the elements needed to build it and not have to trade. It's no use having to buy the sausages for buffing if they cost you as much as your 'profit'.

What I would prefer to see is gold buildings unable to be buffed, but a gold mine contain twice as much gold ore.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMoody View Post
    So if I am correct:
    A parrot (500 gold ore) costs you 250 gc (or something like that) and yields you 1000 gold ore (fully buffed).
    This 1000 gold ore yields you 1000 gold (fully buffed)
    This 1000 gold yields you 500 coins (fully buffed)
    So when excluding the costs for buffing (which relatively decreases on upgrading the chain) and excluding the costs of the setup and upgrading: 250 coins turns into 500 coins when you never let your mine deplete
    Or am I totally wrong?
    no, u still have to spend around 150-175 gold in cost for coal and buffs to get that result (depending if u produce yourself or buy and levels of your buildings etc and market cost it might vary a bit up and down ) so the yield on a 500 refill is 500 coin but take into account the 150 or so minimum cost of producing it plus of course the long term cost of gold production chains. so a refill at 250g will at best yield you around 50 to 100 gold coin profit over a 3 day production cycle time- ofc without missing a buffing timer. If you miss a timer and run 1 or 2 cycles unbuffed per day, yield goes down rapidly

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneMunki View Post
    As has been mentioned every server has a different economy so the actual profit per mine (i.e. discounting the investment cost of the buildings) varies hugely. I am of the personal opinion that an effective gold chain requires a fairly high level player who is committed (or has friends to assist on the buffing) in order for it to be worthwhile. It also requires that they're able to produce all the elements needed to build it and not have to trade. It's no use having to buy the sausages for buffing if they cost you as much as your 'profit'.

What I would prefer to see is gold buildings unable to be buffed, but a gold mine contain twice as much gold ore.
    that would half gold production though- with no possibilities to increase em with buffs that would make most gold production not worthwhile very fast and makes the +3x and +4 x production buffs mostly worthless as well as these on the whole get used on the gold production chains

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    dudes , solution is BEEEEEER

i make 14k beers/12h

i sell 5000beer for 75gc ,

75x5 / every day is 375 gc per day

--------------cost?? water and wheat......

Reply to Thread