Reply to Thread

Thread: F2P V Paying players

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove

F2P V Paying players

After a rather amusing argument on Sandy cove today about how certain Free players think All players Who have paid Ubisoft cash for items in cash shop should quit playing now, Leave and go play a P2P game I was wondering what Ubisoft thought of this? Am I misguided in thinking that servers need those who spend to keep open? That employee's who help with updates / coding get paid for their services? Or Am I wrong? And those who Openly put down and abuse those who spend / Donate to BB are right in stating those who have donated should just leave now and quit?

Is this topic allowed to be discussed? Or is it Taboo? I am All for spending a Min what I would on a DvD or PS3 game for a game I intend to play for a while as a show of support but apparently I and those who have paid even a small amount to Ubisoft and BB are Foolish to the extreme and we really should quit and go to somewhere like WoW as I was told to do not long ago :/

What does everyone think?

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    the players arguiing that all paying/gem buying players should just quit have their heads somewhere they shouldn't

Blue Byte is a commercial enterprise and in the gaming BUSINESS, so need a way to make money

Even if BB was a charity, the servers etc still need to be paid for, bandwith needs to be paid for etc so any online game will need some form of financing. There is no true free online game- it is either paid for by donations, advertising or in a lot of f2p games- "shop features"

so however they ridicule gem buyers - it doesn make their arguments any more valid and you should just ignore em

I chose to play without gem buying, but i know i am gratefull for the ones buying gems- as else i wouldn;t be able to buy noble deeds, parrots, gem vouchers etc in game, cause those 45 gems a week won;t go very far.

basically gembuyers make it possible for all non gem buyers to keep playing so rather than ridicule, they should be gratefull for it

World
    Newfoundland
    There is no such thing as an f2p game. It is just clever marketing. Nothing can happen unless money is procured somehow. Sure there are passive ways for a company to make money, like advertising, but there is always a down side for the gamer, we have to sit and watch annoying adverts which is still a cost even if its not a monetary one. By forking over actual cash under an optional benefits shop system you are allowing everyone else to play without adverts; they should be grateful to you.

So anyone who gives you grief about paying for a so called free to play game you should just ignore and assume there just jealous there parents wont let them use there credit card.

That all said, I think I’ve spent about £180 on this game over the last 6 months. I still have around 15k gems left and have no intention of spending them. I do consider myself foolish for buying so much and spending so many now in retro spec. I got caught up in the ‘more, faster, now, now, now, this is so frustrating’ drive of the game in the early months that I didn’t stop and think first. My hats off to BB for designing a game that made me do that. Now though I’m wiser and understand the game more. I have no intention of buying any of the new stuff there throwing our way these last few months. The gem pit, endless copper mines, build queue slots and I’m sure there are a few other things too. It’s all too expensive for what it is. I was able to refrain from buying lots of water mills and silos simply because I have the time to always place them down each day.

These days even if they were to give something new and reasonably priced I would think twice before spending or buying any more gems simply because the game holds very little appeal to me right now and I’m stagnating at lvl 44 and cant be bothered to do adv. I’m waiting to see what they do with pvp before I even consider spending or buy more gems.

So on reflection I would say there is something to be said for being considered foolish for paying but I would argue it would depend on what you buy and where you see yourself ending up in the end.

There are a few things in the game everyone should get even despite the price, if they are able to spend the money in-game.

10x Savage scouts
    1x Vertern General
    A couple of Battle hardened generals.
    A number of +10 licences
    Around 3 Geos

For me I don’t consider anything else worth it or needed. The recycling plants are nice but it is cheaper in gems to buy a +10 licence and put down a chain production for a coking plant and still have +4 licences spare for something else, it still ends up giving you endless coal. It only becomes an issue doing this if you start to become really tight on space.

The silos I think are terribly designed. I brought one expecting it to replace my wheat field and instead it needs to be placed down as well with it. For the price it costs in gems I expect it to save space, not take up more. But like I said anyways, I don’t consider the price of mills and silos warrant the cost to automate our wheat and water production, not when I can log in and put them down for free each time. I feel there needs to be a better balance of convenience over cost before I would consider buying so many of them at there current price.

Everything else I just consider laughable at what it does or what it costs and if you buy them then you are a bit foolish or don’t care about the money.
    A little less compensation, a little more action please
    All this compensation ain't satisfactioning me
    A little more content and a little less bugged
    A little less inconvenient and a little more hugged
    Re-do PvP so its actually PvP and bluebyte satisfy me.
    Satisfy me bluebyte.

Reply to Thread