Reply to Thread

Thread: Co-op adventure pooling system and combat

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove

Co-op adventure pooling system and combat

Hiya!

We had a great idea about those multiplayer-adventures (2 or more player adventures). The main baseline of the idea, is common pool, where you could drop units of your choice, for everyone's usage: your friends can use your troops with their generals.

Now issue is ofcourse xp: your friend uses your troops to kill everyone, and you get losses, he gets xp's. Now this could be fixed with an option in the very beginning: When you start the adventure, you choose either the old fashioned way (current) or the pool-system. If you use the pool, the experiance points will be split evenly, no matter who's general does what.

This could also be for "between guild members only" -> one more benefit for joining a guild.

--------------

The other issue is the combat. Now it is rather boring; you calculate every strike, and before you even attack, you will know how it will end and you know your losses. This makes the game unbalanced: Once you have made enough crossbowmen and cavalary etc. you can demolish those buildings, as you will only lose recruits. Sometimes you will lose occational cavalary, but you get those horses back as loot.

Now to fix this and give the game a little excitement and spin, how about good old fashioned settlers 2-type fighting system:
    1) each unit has a number of hits it can take (recruit = 3, militia = 4 or 5) etc.
    2) Units will then go fighting with that random game system, that they hit each other in turns, and the unit that gets the required numbers of hits to himself, will lose
    3) They can of course block with shield, so there is a change of winning even you have recruit, and opponent is militia.. or something.

Or it could be something else, but now the combat system is too boring, you don't even bother to look at the replays (yes, that's what they are, replays, you already know the result, so no much of an excitment there). And the whole settler-economy-system is based on warfare -> everything you do is at the end of the line: make stronger army. You make foresters to make wood, to make structures that either builds weapons or resources for weapons, or they speed up your weapon production. Now when you get functioning economy, the end-line sucks, as there is nothing thriving in there, just pre-calculated obstacles, that you can use pre-written guides to beat with only recruit casualties. I don't know, is that the idea of the developers, that at the end, all that is used in the game (after you have enough all forces), is bread and bronze swords (in trade, bronze-swords become more expensive than say, steel swords).

------------
    Something to think about.
    Last edited by FinCameli; 12.08.12 at 10:54.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    would be a nice idea- but there might be issues with technically managing it- what if someone quits adventure in middle of a fight or how to seperate the soldiers in the armies when going back to your home island or how to distribute losses across the various people

World
    Newfoundland
    FinCameli, to fix whisper problem, whisper to your self. /w FinCameli (hit space in your keyboard) an type something for yourself.

If it helps your whisper, remove Ps. There is bug..... comment.

I remove my post as well = )

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Killste View Post
    FinCameli, to fix whisper problem, whisper to your self. /w FinCameli (hit space in your keyboard) an type something for yourself.

If it helps your whisper, remove Ps. There is bug..... comment.

I remove my post as well = )
    I know this. I just stated, that there is a bug, and developers could fix it, and didn't bother to make new post about it. It's beta, and i thought that they'd appreciate for noting up bugs of the game.

World
    Northisle
    I like the idea.

+stars from me

Also if you wish you can check mine out as well! Thanks
    http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...rce-it-in-advs.

Peace,

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    First of all it's a great idea, I gave it +1
    I have been thinking about it recently, and as you said yourself problem is how to divide the EXP.

My solution to this would be a slight alteration of your idea.
    While pooling all the troops create a problem, why not give a player a control of BOTH armies. For example, lets say I play with a guild member who is relatively new and does not yet have experience in adventures. He/she brings two generals with, for example, 400R. I can control his/hers generals and ONLY USE 400r he/she brought. Of course, other player gets the EXP points for the camp I defeated with HIS/HERS army.
    That way both of us can get the adventure done faster, better, and with less losses; and "lower leveled" player also can learn how to do adventures better.
    Of course, some might say "You can already do it by telling your co-player what to do" and would be right, but this also gives us at all times an insight on what other player has in means of troops; and, also, if for some reason other player goes offline, you can do stuff for him.
    That's my suggestion at least, so any comments are welcome.

I might even start a thread on my own just to see if this has any merit.
    Last edited by Gjuro; 19.10.12 at 16:35. Reason: minor grammatical errors

Reply to Thread