Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Darkleys guide to building placement!

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove

Darkleys guide to building placement!

Oh hai!

Yep, there is already a guide on here, with videos of how you should build, but i figured id write my own since i know some people dont always get the full content of a video and since i have a few extras for it!

Big thanks goes out to Efficiencysmurf for his guides on youtube!

(I AM NOT AN EXPERT, THIS IS JUST MY IDEA OF HOW TO DO THINGS SO I MIGHT BE WRONG BUT I DONT THINK SO!!)

So been doing some looking around, read various guides and decided to use some of them and some of myself to write my own guide on building placement, so, here we go!

First thing, is a layout of how you get max out of 1 area:

The goal here, is to place the storehouse in the 0 spot, then build out around it, you need to build around it so that your buildings equal out in overall production time.

Squares in base travel time are:
    6 = 24s
    8 = 32s
    10 = 40s
    12 = 48s

Now theese times do not include buildings such as cutters, foresters, masons, fishermen, farms or silos that also have traveltime to their produciton square (trees, quarry's, fields and fish).
    For those buildings time is affected individually so i cant tell you how long they take!

Here is an example:
    I have 2 cutters, that cut 60 logs in total an hour, that gives them an average cutting time of 2 minutes. (base time 1m 30s - 30 sec avarage travel time)
    To replant i need 3 foresters that replant 60 logs an hour meaning they need an average planting time of 3 minutes. (base time 2m 15s - 45 sec avarage travel time)
    To cut all the wood im getting into planks, using 4 sawmills my sawmills need an avarage production time of 4 minutes. (base time 3 minutes - 1 min avarage travel time)
    If i hit those numbers, i now have a perfect circle of life, i cut, replant and produce an exact match giving me 60 planks an hour with 0 loss and also 0 gain. It is ofcause dooable to adjust this, so that the cutters and foresters work faster than the sawmills, giving you a small hourly log bonus but it wont amount to many extra logs :P

One last thing, about building and keeping max production, there is a VERY nice tool you can and should use, you will need to plot in all your data on your own, but when you have done so and if you keep it updated you will always have an overview of everything you use and produce, its the Economy Tool. It also has a build in combat simulator, that will calculate battles for you and how long it will take to rebuild your troops based on your production economy which is well sweet!

Building FAQ:
    Q: Where should i place my residence, barracks, provision house, tavern and branch office?
    A: As far away from everything as you can, they do not rely on travel time, thus, throw them into the outskirts of your land hidden away where they do not take up valuable building squares.

Q: How do i keep up with my production when i only get 10 licences for every new sector and i do not want to buy gems?
    A: Upgrade your buildings, but remember to do it in chains, if you upgrade 2 cutters, you need to upgrade 3 foresters and whatever building(s) was using the wood as well.

Q: How many wheat fields do my farms need?
    A: This is a tricky question, first lets start out by showing how long 1 field lasts 1 farm dependent on lvl. A lvl 1 farm uses a lvl 1 field in 40 hours, a lvl 2 farm uses a lvl 1 field in 20 hours, a lvl 3 farm uses a level 1 field in 13.3 hours, a lvl 4 farm uses a lvl 1 field in 10 hours and a lvl 5 farm uses a lvl 1 field in 8 hours. If you use lvl 2 fields double the numbers, if you use lvl 3 fields triple the numbers. If you want maximum produciton, each farm needs one wheat field unless you can place a field so that all farms around it have minimum possible travel time which is usually only dooable for 2 farms. If you want minimum fields, it depends on the level of your farm and how often you log on to the game. 4 lvl 1 farms would need 1 lvl 1 field if you log in every 10 hours and so forth.

Q: How should i place my wheat fields?
    A: Place them so your farm has as little travel time as possible, the perfect spot is right below the farm so that the middle of the field matched the middle of the farm.

Q: Can i use more than one mason on the same quarry?
    A: Yes! As many as you want, the more mason's you have, the faster you deplete your quarry's so remember you need to search more often!

Q: If i demolish a building paid for with gems will i loose it?
    A: Nope, it will return to your star menu, any upgrades however will be lost!

Q: Should i upgrade my residences?
    A: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Period, upgrading a residence cost you more than building a Noble residence, a normal residence holds 10, if you upgrade it, it holds 20, a noble for less mats holds 30!

Q: When should i upgrade my Mayor house?
    A: When there is nothing else to spend materials on, upgrading storage houses is cheaper cost vs space than upgrading the mayor house 1 level....
    Last edited by Darkley; 06.09.12 at 06:04.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Right, incase the above suggested layout just wont work, try aiming for this one:

Sector 5

It gives you 2 X 6 and 4 X 8 so all the fast squares but none of the 10 and 12 squares so it is still a very good layout!
    Last edited by Darkley; 15.08.12 at 00:37.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Here are a few layouts i use for farms:

Sector 2

Ignore the wells, they are just fillers till i figure out what i need to place there :P Will be stable, bakery or brewery.
    Also ignore the 2½ farms in the top right corner, im tearing them down shortly and replacing with a little hardwood setup instead!

Sector 8

There is one spot here you cant use, but its still one of the best places in all 9 sectors for farms!
    You can also see one of the spots i use for residences

Sector 9
    This one is not as good and you loose 1 farm spot but it still works well!

Again, ignore wells im still working on placements myself since im a nub :P
    Last edited by Darkley; 15.08.12 at 01:42.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Here are a few spots i use for wood, both pine and hardwood:

Pinewood:

Sector 4

Also gives a spot for a very well placed fisherbobmandudewhatyamadiddelydoo! The farms are just, cause, i like, have 325 licenses :P

Sector 2

Three spots missing in the setup, does not matter much, they are all 12's and its a perfect pinewood setup with 6 foresters 4 cutters B)

Hardwood:

Sector 2/3

I dident need all the spots for hardwood so i also combined in some farms for more farmtastic madness fun!

Right so i found more or less the perfect HW cutter spot, its at the boarder of sector 3 and 6, here it is:

Timing wise, its hard if not impossible to get better, yes, requires a storehouse but this spot is SICK nice!
    (its the 5 spots around the storehouse, ignore the one up north!!!)
    Last edited by Darkley; 19.08.12 at 03:24.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Mason's

This one is a tough one, there really issent any OMG perfect mason setups but ill still post mine here:

This is a mix, marble, stone and hardwood, the top right mason is stone: (Sector 5)

Pure marble: (Sector 3)

It will give you the best marble speeds and also some killer iron speeds!

I also use this:
    Sector 8

Each mason has its own Quarry and the setup works nicely for me Also gives good access to a few iron mines!
    Last edited by Darkley; 15.08.12 at 00:51.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Mines!

Copper:
    Sector 2

Coal
    Sector 6

This does not follow the combat guide placement wise but combat still works fine if you place the gen just to the left of the storehouse.

Sector 7

Iron:
    Sector 3

Yep, same as a good marble spot, two in one, good deal eh? :P

Sector 8

Pro spot if you got room for the storehouse.
    Last edited by Darkley; 15.08.12 at 01:08.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Where do i find what resources?

Check this map!
    Last edited by Darkley; 15.08.12 at 01:06.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Random links:

The Settlers Online Wiki Has alot of good info on it!

Building upgrade costs

Building input/output

Building movement cost (Outdated since the prices when it goes live will be cheaper)

Adventure Guides
    Last edited by Darkley; 15.08.12 at 01:24.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Reserved, errr, smurfs are cool?

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Nice guide, know u got ur ideas from some1 else, but its for me, easier to follow this than the utube cause of ur pics.

Bump for sticky from me cause i like your guide!

Reply to Thread