Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My concerns about BB changing

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualan View Post
    oh well.. what can i say....

not much apparently
    Whilst taking part in Global chat this eveing I have witnessed what I would refer to as a prime example of the general level of moderation being used.

[22:18] XXXX : this game isnt free ?????????????????????????????????????
    [22:20]MOD XXXX : I think 1 maybe 2 questions marks would have sufficed xxxx, please do not spam like that

In my 12 years of using bulleting boards and chat boards I have never heard of question marks being used like that being referred to as spam.

Incredulous.

Over zealous, non constructive, indeed bordering on bullying (regardless of wether it was intentional or not)

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttymut View Post
    Whilst taking part in Global chat this eveing I have witnessed what I would refer to as a prime example of the general level of moderation being used.

[22:18] XXXX : this game isnt free ?????????????????????????????????????
    [22:20]MOD XXXX : I think 1 maybe 2 questions marks would have sufficed xxxx, please do not spam like that

In my 12 years of using bulleting boards and chat boards I have never heard of question marks being used like that being referred to as spam.

Incredulous.

Over zealous, non constructive, indeed bordering on bullying (regardless of wether it was intentional or not)
    I consider overuse of questionmarks spam, and am glad the mod told him so.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    just wan't to ad that i never got a respond from customer support when i mail them; think if you send a mail to there it is automatic deleted or ignored; dno wy! So i stopped.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbe View Post
    I consider overuse of questionmarks spam, and am glad the mod told him so.
    I consider the mod didn't do a good job at all. I stand by what I have said. Thank you :-)

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    FYI: I've played online games for many years, and worked in every job/field I know of, so I am familiar with MODding and multiplayer environments.

I fully understand the workload and the storm of negativity a MOD has to deal with, that is the nature of the job. (If you don't like it, or can't handle it, then don't do it). It comes with the territory, and increases as a game ages beyond a few months. Scammers proliferate if not properly dealt with, especially when devs have other important focuses other than tracking problem/abusive players (and rightly so, focus on the game development). And I also fully understand MODs are human too, and more often than not, players like everyone else, and would like to enjoy their game.

However, IMO, some of the actions of some MODs is pretty bad, and over zealous when less drastic alternatives are available. I'm naturally inclined to aid/advise players and devs wherever I can to enhance the game for myself and everyone. However, over the last few months, my experiences have soured my willingness to go out of my way. I'm now much less helpful/talkative in chats, and generally see it as a waste of my time wading through the scammers and Spam that MODs fail to control; to help players, or keep chats clear/productive.

I did apply for the MOD job and did not hear anything back. So can't say you have a lack of offers to help.

I have also seen positive effective MODding, so it's not all bad.

Cheers
    Scruffy

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDa View Post
    just wan't to ad that i never got a respond from customer support when i mail them; think if you send a mail to there it is automatic deleted or ignored; dno wy! So i stopped.
    I've sent many emails to Support, and always got an answer back. Even the Negative ones. Though they've gotten progressively less helpful. I'm guessing I have a huge red flag against my name so supports natural reaction is 'F off'. And even if some responses were generic to widespread issues.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Hi Emperor,

May I take a moment out just to apologise to the opening poster about this thread within a thread. I considered opening a new thread, but genuinely felt of the two options available I should reply here. The third option, not to reply was not the route I preferred.

I am not suggesting that moderators are a separate class of citizen in any game. However, I do feel that having unpaid moderators isn't the best route available to BB.

Let me try and analyse the problem
    • There are numerous chat channels available for different languages and trading
    • Accessing these channels for a new player is difficult to understand
    • There is no drop down option to ignore players - the existing method is difficult to remember
    • After weekly maintenance all players are defaulted back th global 1
    • Which means other language players have to reset to their channel again
    • Moderation varies greatly - probably due to cultural differences and younger moderators attempting to use enthusiasm where experience is needed

I'm going to diversify a little if I may. Can I ask you to follow my "poor" analogy please. Most of us know the story of the Titanic. And yes it sank. After the event there were many people who stepped forward to analyse why the ship sank. Strangely enough they were not to be seen before it sank - saying don't sail this ship will sink, it's not water tight.

And so it always seems that after the event the world is crammed full of managers. Those same managers were nowhere to be seen when it was time to make the original decisions.

I have, therefore, to remind myself that I am currently doing no more than attempting to manage after the event. And that's not a good position to take. It will certainly not improve perceptions and attitudes towards me. I am not alluding to this as a popularity contest either.

If I can refer back to my "poor" analogy again. Many would suggest, nay even argue, that the loss of 1,500 lives needs to be analysed. And I would have to agree. And that analysis has gone on for a hundred years now. In truth most of us "perceive" the huge loss of life to be nothing short of poor decisions by greedy and inept management. However, the reality could not be further from the perception.

In reality the simple truth is that many more lives should have been lost. The Titanic story is not simple. It sank due to a series of events. Yet despite that the fact that 700 people survived is the most amazing part of the story.

You may think my analogy is a little extreme when discussing moderation on a chat board. It's an analogy ;-)

There's a final twist in my analogy. We could all argue that ship builders, owners and government bodies learned great lessons after the Titanic. Yet the record shows the reverse. We only need to look at the Costa Concordia recently. The real truth is far from the perception we all have.

And that's where we are with moderation issues on BB. There's reality and there's perceptions. And currently the void between the two is particulary vast. This could be improved by BB in my opinion.

Thoughts/suggestions
    • Add an ignore player button to the hover over drop down on players names
    • Add a hover over channel selector over the channel tab
    • Assign like cultured moderators on Forum and chat channels

Some simple measures that should be easy to code up.

I've tried not to allow myself to drift into a postion of using this post to complain about
    • My own perceptions
    • My own treatment from moderators

I do, however, reserve all rights to challenge decisions which, in my opinion, could have been handled more effectively.

Best
    Nuttymut

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer Nukar's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    ^^

Spammer... :P

I dont mind much. Since BB doesnt seem to care on this subject neither do I anymore.
    Nevermind I give up

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nukar View Post
    ^^

Spammer... :P

I dont mind much. Since BB doesnt seem to care on this subject neither do I anymore.
    Yes I can spam for England :-) lol

"Trite comment of the day"
    • If you don't get up you can never fail again
    • And of course we all know success comes from never getting back up don't we

Reply to Thread