Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for additional drains - help improve game economy

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    hahahahah man i dont like to lose on travel i just lose sevral 1000s of gc upgradeing my stuff

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    The game doesn't need resource sinks in this manner. It would actually hack a lot of people off if each adventure lost them expensive troops every time and make certain adventures worthless because the reward isn't enough.

I actually think the problem you have mentioned will rectify itself in time as BB add in more high end content that requires the higher level resources. As each server matures and there is an abundance of excess resources the relative worth of high end resources will naturally drop (supply and demand) until it hit's a natural level. Sandycove is a prime example, not long ago I could easily sell a stack of bread for 24gc, this has now dropped and levelled off around 12~15 depending upon the time of day.

Putting it into perspective though how many resources are we actually talking about? Saltpeter, Titanium, Steel and Iron - that's it. Everything else is required to upgrade buildings. A slightly better solution would be to change the upgrade costs so that instead of gold/granite/exotic wood some buildings required a different resource (i.e. Level 3 Steel Weaponsmith might require 500 Iron and 300 Marble).

Somewhere I read that there was the intention to develop a 'research' feature that I would imagine would require certain resources in order to complete.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    I think the issue about high end economy is not an economy issue but a usage issue. there should be high end adventures that dont allow use of low end troops (allow means, its unwise to do so, but possibel). For example, the soldiers would be the minimum logical usable troops otherwise yur army just get whiped easy. Canons/xbowman are a must in most battles.This might be compensated in the prices of the loot. Like these are only adventures you could earn some gems in, and get extra beautifull ornaments for your map, refills for gold of 1000 and so on.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I was thing a standing army needs food and provisions why not depending on troops you have that it subtracts certain amount of resources per 6 hours. Like fish, bread, wheat etc. Why I also suggest before that the games needs some minor set backs and in disasters. Floods, Storms, Mine collapse, Wild animal attacks, Plague/flue (- settlers) etc where production on certain resources are temporarily delayed. There are many challenges that occur when settling new lands.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    If you have a standing army that needs feeding or % troop loss, then you are just turning the game into another 'Evony' and the players left because of the constant daily need to feed the troops; when you have thousands of soldiers to 'feed' that's all you end up doing and not going to war at all. I much prefer those suggestions here of adding new adventures to alter the economy.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Proddy View Post
    it still doesnt change the fact that high-end weapons will be 1-time investments.. there needs to be a drain somehow, or the prices will keep dropping, wether or not they are given as reward or has to be produced.. it will just take a bit longer.. do u really not see the problem?
    No. and I certainly don't want to lose health from my troops to 'help' the economy. Over the last 12 months the ingame economy has gone up and down just as the real world one has. why do people need to catch up quickly? and surely if prices are lower then the production costs are lower too so it balances out?

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    Sometime ago i already suggested an resource sink. I hope it, or something similair, will be introduced with the new higher level features..
    http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...(resource-sink)

An easy way to sort out some excess resources is making longblocks (which is in my book absurd) impossible. Just make it so that when the boss-kamp is destroyed the battle will stop and your already killed troops STAY dead;

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    A couple of things, I have very few troops who live 50 - 60 days, most die within a week + if you have say 200 soldiers, lose 100, make 100 then lose 100, how do you know if the 100 that died most recently are all old troops, new troops or a mix?

This old chestnut about closed economics - this was used as an argument by the "economists" as a reason to make stacks of gold mines - their argument being that there would be a settler shortage of gold as it was all used up and never got back into the game . . . well that fell pretty flat, as people will know that you gold prices have fallen. The other point is that none of the servers are truly closed economies as players dribble out and players dribble in over the weeks, months, . . .

If these resources are one-time purchases, they will keep dropping in price, making them practically useless.. that must not be the case, since it destroys the entire economy.
    Can't see where you are going with this one - real life economics don't apply in game and you also ignore the fact that there are many players who don't trade in general or global-3 trade and who actually use gems to buy things with and then re sell for other resources. In our guild trades are often made at what would surprise you general traders - for instance, today I saw someone selling a lootspot for 250gc, I know that we give this away free to fellow guildees . . . so things are not as clear cut as you think

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I agree with BB_Dantesama

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    its too late to fix the economy as it stands. if you stop the weapon drops from adventures (which should never had been there in the first place) you will alienate all newer players and give the vets an even bigger advantage with their stacks of cannons and dam swords, etc.

what's needed are new weapons so the existing high end ones lose their worth, that aren't given as loot, and adventures that need them. BS should be useless in high level adventures forcing an investment and loss of high level weapons.. As lots of people have said the economy is in terminal decline and needs to be looked at fast before xbows are cheaper on the market than bronze swords.

Reply to Thread