Reply to Thread

Thread: Game speed

carmex81

Game speed

I'm quite new to this, having had a few weeks to look around for a new multi player game i decided on this, after having encountered some issues with Age of Empires administrators; i find everything in this game really slow (in comparison) to complete from getting resources to building up troops, which is impeding my enjoyment of it. Any chance of speeding it up a bit?

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    Things happen faster if you spend gems. Which costs you money. Which pays for the salaries of the developers. Which is kind of the whole point.

carmex81
    I did notice they do that here, but I'm not wasting my money buying gems (i didn't do this in Age of Empires), really isn't worth it. I understand why they offer it though. Having said that, i've since read quite a few reviews of this game saying that it's ok but then goes on to criticise the game speed, which hits its rating.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    In all honesty it's no faster/slower than other The Settlers games.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneMunki View Post
    In all honesty it's no faster/slower than other The Settlers games.
    Haha. Your kidding right? I never had any other settlers game last a year. Or had nothing to do for 6 hours in any of the others ...

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbe View Post
    Haha. Your kidding right? I never had any other settlers game last a year. Or had nothing to do for 6 hours in any of the others ...
    You've not had any Settlers game last a year?

Settlers 4 was released 2001 and many are still playing it, me included. There are many others that still play Settlers 2 and 3 aswell which are even older!!

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Daz View Post
    You've not had any Settlers game last a year?

Settlers 4 was released 2001 and many are still playing it, me included. There are many others that still play Settlers 2 and 3 aswell which are even older!!
    You have managed to have 1 game of settlers 4 last 1 year? I still play settlers 2 sometimes, but that always lasts less than 1 day, because saving is not possible.

billyjoel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbe View Post
    You have managed to have 1 game of settlers 4 last 1 year? I still play settlers 2 sometimes, but that always lasts less than 1 day, because saving is not possible.
    what you mean saving is no possible??

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by billyjoel View Post
    what you mean saving is no possible??
    I mean that i can not save the game.

edit: your reply made me look it up, and it seems there was a patch released in 2006 that made it possible, so i guess i need to update.
    Last edited by Dilbe; 20.09.12 at 11:41.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    getting back to the original posting - about the speed of the game, etc. Although the game always proceeds at the same rate, it is possible "to speed" things up - upgrade production buildings increases the rate at which you gain (and deplete) resources - so a lvl 3 building will work (in practise) 3 times "faster" than a lvl 1 - you get 3 units in the same time as 1 from a lvl 1. If you buff the building then this alters things again - a lvl3 building will produce 6 in the time an unbuffed lvl 1 building produces 1

Of course if you have 1 lvl 3 building you only have to buff 1 building to get 6 as opposed to buffing 3 lvl 1 buildings to get the same, and having to make 3 times the buffs taking more time!

This is part of planning your island - I have seen many new islands with 6 sawmills cause they saw (sorry, no pun inteneded) that they needed more planks - having fewer means they can upgrade sooner etc. meaning things do move quicker.

When the island is nearly yours, you find that somethings do appear quicker as a result so you can do things quicker as your resources build up.

Designing a game where the rate is perfect for a lvl 1 player and a lvl 50 player is very difficult but TSO have managed to make good comprimises - could be better, but hey so could most things in life! As for the reviewers - I have yet to find a reviewer (in any field) who really knows what they are talking about - remember headlines and good / excellent reviews sell copy - ask your local MP

Reply to Thread