Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade Residence or Noble Residence - same benefit, different cost?

Jovian69

Upgrade Residence or Noble Residence - same benefit, different cost?

Hi,
    To upgrade a Noble Residence costs 240 HW + 100 marble for a benefit of +10 pop.

To upgrade normal residence costs 120 HW + 100 marble also for the same benefit.

Is this correct?

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Hi Jovian69,

Noble residence gives a larger population increase than residence when upgraded.

Check out my spreadsheet - Building Input / Output .

Jovian69
    Hi Sinister-King,

Thanks for your reply - that's a very useful spreadsheet, I hadn't seen it before.

In the game, when you put your curos on the level 1 upgrade for the Noble Residence it shows increase of 10 pop - must be a fault in the rollover text.

I'll try and upgrade my NR now:

EDIT:

Upgraded my NR level 1 to level 2 and pop increased by 10, not 30.

So I spent twice the resources I needed to - I can upgrade a normal residence for half that amount and get +10 pop.

Sorry to say, but your spreadsheet's wrong.
    Last edited by Jovian69; 30.09.12 at 13:21.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    You didn't consider maybe replacing the residence with noble residence? A noble residence doesn't need to be upgraded at all and it will give the same pop increase as a residence with two upgrades. When comparing the costs of these options, I believe it's clear which option is cheaper. In practice every player above lv25 that I've ever encountered has done so, so either you (one person) are mistaken or then in the entire TSO player base there are no smart players. I wonder...

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovian69 View Post
    Hi Sinister-King,

Thanks for your reply - that's a very useful spreadsheet, I hadn't seen it before.

In the game, when you put your curos on the level 1 upgrade for the Noble Residence it shows increase of 10 pop - must be a fault in the rollover text.

I'll try and upgrade my NR now:

EDIT:

Upgraded my NR level 1 to level 2 and pop increased by 10, not 30.

So I spent twice the resources I needed to - I can upgrade a normal residence for half that amount and get +10 pop.

Sorry to say, but your spreadsheet's wrong.
    I just double checked, and the spreadsheet is accurate. I think you are reading it wrong.

The sheet shows the population of level 1,2,3,4,5 not how much it increases by each upgrade.

Noble Residence:

LEVEL 1 30 Population
    LEVEL 2 40 Population
    LEVEL 3 50 Population
    LEVEL 4 60 Population
    LEVEL 5 70 Population

Residence

LEVEL 1 10 Population
    LEVEL 2 20 Population
    LEVEL 3 30 Population
    LEVEL 4 40 Population
    LEVEL 5 50 Population

Its accurate .

[EDIT]

A normal level 1 residence starts at 10 population and goes up by +10 each time.
    A noble level 1 residence starts at 30 population and goes up by +10 each time.

Noble residences are better because its always +20 higher than a normal.
    Last edited by Sinister-King; 30.09.12 at 13:58.

Jovian69
    @Sinister-King - Thanks for explaining, yes I misunderstood your spreadsheet, which is correct of course.

@King-Fero - No, clearly I didn't consider that, otherwise I wouldn't have raised the question. I must therefore be the stupidest person to ever have played this game. I can only dream of attaining your immensely superior level of understanding.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Simply put... noble residences give 20 pop more at the same level for the same building licence. Unless you got it from the gem store, then it won't even need a licence.

Considering you will run out of licences rather fast, but will eventually have a good supply of HWP/marble, you will be switching to nobles only.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    It's about saving licences which will always make nobles better no matter the cost

Reply to Thread