Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts for gem-buildings

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland

Random thoughts for gem-buildings

1) Recycler.
    Recycler needs 990gems, and provides a steady infinite source of coal. Nice instead of searching and building coal mines all the time.
    10 licences however, worth 650gems, and are much more usefull. Pinewood chain production is also alway steady (never runs out) so with 4-5 buildings you have the same infinite, same rate, source of coal. And you still have 4-5 licences left, for other buildings.

2) Noble Residences Deed / Friary. Same goes here. Friary costs 2450 gems, Noble Residence Deed costs 95gems. 10licences can give you same benefit much cheaper and have some more licences free for other things. Maybe Noble Residence Deed, is usefull, (95 vs 65gems 1/10 of 10 licences) if you acquire gems slowly through levels, so you cant wait to get the full amount of 650gems.

Am i missing something here or what? Getting more licences is THE way to go, for most of cases.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    best thing to get is lisences then exsplorers the rest aint that good but noble deeds is kinda a must

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    One benefit for the friary is that now u manage by buffing one building in stead of 4. So if u would usually buff your breweries, u save some 10 baskets daily having the friary in stead.
    The relative gem cost for licenses is the lowest of these options, that u have correct. However I see lots of high lv players who've invested a lot more money in the game, so they invest both in licences and these gem buildings.
    For free players, the noble deeds are an invaluable way to save licences, as building up 650 free gems takes time. Licences can't be gifted but noble deeds can, so free players can get nobles with in-game resources in stead of gems, provided they find a paying player willing to sell some. So far this has worked fine, prices are on the rise but there are sellers nonetheless. The ones craving the spare licences the most will pay the high price.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Noble residences and friaries can be gifted away. So even if they are not usefull to buy for yourself, there are still people that want to pay ingame resources for them, and thus you can sell them.

World
    Sandycove
    As for the recycling manufactory, it shines when it comes to upgrading. Getting to level 3 is not so much of a problem, but upgrading to level 4 and 5 will mean that you only need to upgrade a single building instead of the 5-6 for a single coking chain.

Level 4 Upgrades :
    Recycling Manufactory - 500 coins, 1000 marble
    Coking Chain - 3000 coins, 1800 marble

Level 5 Upgrades :
    Recycling Manufactory - 800 exo planks, 1000 granite
    Coking Chain - 3000 exo planks, 1800 granite

Taking the math a little further, by upgrading it to level 4 I save 2500 coins. Based on Sandycove's current gem price (~2.5 coins per gem), I could buy 1000 gems worth of stuff from other players, thus saving my own 1000 gems and practically paying for the recycling plant itself.

Another problem it solves but not until much later in the game and depending on your economy, is that you may not have space to lay down an efficient coking chain.
    Last edited by Konshens; 05.10.12 at 11:28.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    mmmm, nice input, hadnt thought about this aspect. Thank you.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Konshens View Post
    As for the recycling manufactory, it shines when it comes to upgrading. Getting to level 3 is not so much of a problem, but upgrading to level 4 and 5 will mean that you only need to upgrade a single building instead of the 5-6 for a single coking chain.

Level 4 Upgrades :
    Recycling Manufactory - 500 coins, 1000 marble
    Coking Chain - 3000 coins, 1800 marble

Level 5 Upgrades :
    Recycling Manufactory - 800 exo planks, 1000 granite
    Coking Chain - 3000 exo planks, 1800 granite

Taking the math a little further, by upgrading it to level 4 I save 2500 coins. Based on Sandycove's current gem price (~2.5 coins per gem), I could buy 1000 gems worth of stuff from other players, thus saving my own 1000 gems and practically paying for the recycling plant itself.

Another problem it solves but not until much later in the game and depending on your economy, is that you may not have space to lay down an efficient coking chain.
    And taking the math even further;
    If you only use 7 of the 10 building licences you can get with the licences, and only upgrade those buildings to level 3, you still get 20% more coal, costs you zero coins and zero granite, costs less gems, and you have 3 licences left for other buildings. This all with the possibility to upgrade it further in the future.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbe View Post
    And taking the math even further;
    If you only use 7 of the 10 building licences you can get with the licences, and only upgrade those buildings to level 3, you still get 20% more coal, costs you zero coins and zero granite, costs less gems, and you have 3 licences left for other buildings. This all with the possibility to upgrade it further in the future.
    Indeed, that's exactly why I'm currently rocking 17x Lvl 4 coking chains and 0 recycling plants.

I was just showing why a recycling manufactory isn't a complete waste of gems and how you could practically get one for free if you were intending on spending ~1000 of your own gems on stuff that you could buy from other players.
    Last edited by Konshens; 08.10.12 at 15:30.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Konshens View Post
    Indeed, that's exactly why I'm currently rocking 17x Lvl 4 coking chains and 0 recycling plants.

I was just showing why a recycling manufactory isn't a complete waste of gems and how you could practically get one for free if you were intending on spending ~1000 of your own gems on stuff that you could buy from other players.
    My reply was to point out that a recycling manufactory IS a complete waste of gems. There is no situation where a recycling manufactory is better than 10 building licenses.

World
    Northisle
    There is a limit to the number of licence packs you can buy. 18 packs, enough for 180 buildings.

There are room for a lot more buildings than that on the island, so focusing on building licenses will leave you with an half-built island and no way to expand except through the purchase of licensefree gem-buildings. Might as well plan for that.

I did the same calculation you did, but with Noble Residences where there is NO supply chain, but just an upgrade cost rising much more steeply than for the noble residences you build yourself. Gembought is ridiculously more expensive. But even there gembought become necessary long before the island is built out.

So the way I see it is more like: "A gembought cooking plant saves me 6 licenses that I can then use for something else" A super deal . The friary is even better, it saves 4 licences and is not just cheaper to buff but also cheaper to upgrade than the 4 breweries it replace.

regards Angua

Reply to Thread