Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Commonly asked questions

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Last edited by Gerontius; 26.11.14 at 17:35. Reason: removing questions no longer asked

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer BB_Dantesama's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Nice thread

Stickied.

BB_Dantesama
    I am no longer the Community Manager for this version of TSO. Please send any question to BB_Ravel.

Rules and Code of Conduct ¤¤¤ Beginner's Guide ¤¤¤ Important Links ¤¤¤ Help/Support & FAQ

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Going to start using this thread to collect together answers to the most common questions on the help channel... When there's enough, I'll reorganise it better

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle

Guide: Refilling Mines

Mine refills can be obtained as follows:
    In trade (after you get trade office at level 12)
    Gemshop / Merchant
    Treasure hunts with explorer
    Adventure loot
    Daily rewards

But don't panic about your mine running out. Most you simply want to let run out then send your geologist to find it again. Gold mines are expensive to build and upgrade, though. So it's often worth pausing them before they run out and refilling them when you can before letting them go into operation again. Some people like to refill iron mines, too.

Here's what refills look like in the trade office. I don't think this is a good price for them, though!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Gerontius; 23.02.13 at 16:28. Reason: add image

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle

Guide: Giving and receiving buffs for quests

If you need to buff someone (e.g. for a quest) or want to receive a buff, the best way is to ask friends or guild-mates.

If you have no friends or guild-mates, ask in trade chat.

To get to trade chat, type
    /joinchat global-3
    or
    /j global-3

Then write something like: "want to swap three baskets, whisper me" or, in trade chat shorthand, "WTS 3 baskets, /w"

You won't have much luck swapping fish buffs!

Don't ask for buffs in the help channel. That's not what it's for.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Gerontius; 03.11.12 at 11:33. Reason: image

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle

Guide: How to finish the economy overview quests

The economy overview quests such as “Making Production Chains Perfect”, “Important Pinewood”, and “Look Out For the Tools” aren't as hard as people think. It's just about balancing your economy to achieve all the quest requirements at the same time.

The quick solution to solving these quests is to try the following three things in order:
    1. Stop buildings you don't need
    2. Buff buildings where you need more short term production
    3. Build more buildings or upgrade existing ones to cover long terms shortfalls

If you don't understand these suggestions, then read on for a more detailed explanation. The quests are about learning to understand your economy, so if you're struggling with these quests then you should read it all carefully!

First, knowing how to use the economy overview is REALLY useful. Here's an excellent guide if you're not sure: http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...onomy-Overview

Then you need to understand what the quest is asking you do do. They all give you three or four production requirements which you have to meet at the same time.

"Have a production value of at least 360 every 12 hour(s) for resource x" means you have to be producing at least that amount of the resource.

"Have a production value of at least 0 every 12 hour(s) for resource x" is a bit unclear. It means that you need to be producing more of the resource (eg pinewood logs, bronze etc) than you are using, or producing exactly the same amount as you use.

It DOES NOT mean you can just have zero production and zero consumption - stopping ALL your buildings won’t work. You have to have some production going on, which must balance out.

It also DOES NOT mean that you have to wait 12 hours for the quest to complete. The economy overview averages current production out over 12 hours, but updates almost immediately.

Here's me producing exactly as much bronze as I am using. You don't HAVE to get exactly zero, but it is possible!

Once you've undersood these things, there are then three steps for completing the quest. Try them in this order:

1. Stop/Sleep buildings you don't need
    For example, the quest might say "produce at least 360 pine planks every 12 hours" AND "produce at least 0 pine logs every 12 hours" . Two sawmills might be enough to produce 360 planks, so you can stop any others that you've built to reduce your log consumption. You can also stop your bowmaker or your cokers if the quest doesn't need you to be producing bows or coal.

Here's how you stop a building

2. Buff buildings where you need more short term production
    Buffs double output but don't increase input. So if you're a little bit short of the quest requirements for one resource, buffing the buildings that produces that resource could help without hurting your output of any of the other resources.

Here's me buffing a cutter and stopping my bowmaker, which JUST gave me a positive pine log production!

3. Build more buildings or upgrade existing ones to cover long terms shortfalls.
    Normally options 1 and 2 are enough, but if they don't work, option 3 is the only way to complete the quest. For example, if you need to produce 2000 pinewood planks every 12 hours, but only have 1 pinewood sawmill, there is no way you are EVER going to be able to complete the quest without building or upgrading sawmills. So build another sawmill. But then you might need to build more cutters to supply them with logs and more foresters to plant trees. That's the way the game works!

As part of your upgrading routine, don't forget that large walking times between buildings and storehouses can really reduce your production rates. An "upgrade" can include moving the building closer to a storehouse, or building a new storehouse near to a cluster of buildings. If you're short by just 10-20 units of a resource, this can make all the difference.

Don't forget to check the effects of stopping/starting/buffing/building different buildings in the economy overview or in the quest window.

If you still need help, here's my full guide with pictures to solving the “Making Production Chains Perfect” quest

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...mFOcGxzJ4/edit
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Gerontius; 30.01.13 at 13:20. Reason: copyedit

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle

Question: Why can't I finish my quest?

There are several types of quests

Main quests (part of the tutorial)
    Side quests (bonus tutorial quests)
    Guild quests (for people in a guild of more than 10 members)
    Daily quests (given once each day)
    and
    Waiting quests

The most common reason people can't complete a quest is that it's a "Waiting quest". Waiting quests are "waiting" for the previous day's Daily quest or Guild quest to be completed. You cannot complete them until you finish or cancel the quest that it's waiting on.

Attached Images

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle

Guide: Finding your friends

You can only add someone as a friend if you're on the same server

You cannot change servers. You can only start again on a new server either registering with a new email address or after asking support to delete your account on your current server.
    Attached Images

World
    Northisle
    Do one for: "My general has dissapeared with all my troops when I sent him to adventure..." and for "Where are my troops? Finished adventure, the generals returned but without my troops...ohh my..."
    You know, the generals and troops being on star menu going to/returning from adventure

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle

I finished an adventure. Where are my troops?

When an adventure is finished, all troops and generals return to your home island.

Troops assigned to a general return with that general in 30 minutes or 15 minutes for a battle hardened or veteran general

Troops NOT assigned to a general return with a troops transport that takes a couple of hours.

Attached Images

Reply to Thread