View Poll Results: Would you be in support of a trading chat tab?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 90.91%
  • No

2 9.09%
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trading Tab for Chat

World
    Newfoundland

Question Trading Tab

Trading Tab Poll

Hello all,

I joined this game when it first appeared as BETA in the U.K. for at least half a year under the name of Rohab. I stopped playing due to having nothing left to do in the game, but have rejoined in what will soon be the Retail release.
    Having said that I have a great knowledge of this game and its mechanics and am here today to suggest something that I feel should have been introduced a long time ago - Trading chat tab.

I log in about 2 - 3 times a day for 15 - 30 minutes a time, and during my time spent in game for that period I constantly see players asking to trade this for that, to which a MOD has to politely tell the player to join Global-3. Their answer is then countered with a question on how to actually join Global-3, to which a MOD has to then politely tell the player to type '/j global-3'.
    This occurs at least 5 - 10 times every time I am logged in.

Suggestions for Trade Tab
    1. It must be annoying from the MODS point of view to always having to redirect players to Global-3 and/ or explain how to get to Global-3. Very time consuming.
    2. There will always be items that are not available in the Trade Office, to which a Trading tab would greatly help those seeking certain resources. Players can come to agreements with one another on what to trade quickly. This way players can find suitable trade without risking X amount of resources being 'stored' in the Trading Office.

From discussing this in chat with MOD_UlrichN he has said that, as a player, he agrees with this suggestion, as I am sure many other players will do as well.

Why doesn't the Trade tab already exist?

Reasons
    1. Players who see an offer in the trade office can contact that seller and come to an agreement.
    2. Spammers

Solving
    1. With this approach that player may not be online. That player may not want what you're offering, and of course, that player has stuck an offer up based on what that player is willing to trade, and for what. So to come to an agreement may take more time than expected, or just be completely rejected.
    2. Spammers will always exist where trade is available on any game, whether it be an MMO, RPG, browser-based game, the list goes on. Trade options create these people and as such there isn't a lot one can do about it unless changes in the rules are made. These changes could be that a badwordlist is created to have any spammers using words or acronyms such as wts, w.t.s, w t s, etcetera within a 30 second period post more than 4 times has a small ban of a minute; having this rule would stop spammers in the Global and Help tabs. A rule for the Trade tab is that each player can only post once every 15 or 30 seconds.

Coding
    1. From a coding point of view this really wouldn't be too much to introduce as it is simply another chat tab with the tab renamed to 'Trade' and a badwordslist added.
    2. I play on 1440x900 and from what I see, there is clearly enough space to add two more tabs into the chat box parameters. If however this is a problem, the suggestion I can make is to have the tab 'News' taken away and replaced with 'Trade'.

So, can I ask TSO community to please reply and/ or choose 'Yes' or 'No' in the poll above with whether or not you would be in support of a Trade tab feature?

Thank you all,
    Zanwolf
    Last edited by Zanwolf; 23.11.12 at 21:57.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    It makes a lot of sense to have it as an extra tab, trade has been getting moderated a fair bit to stop any none trade chat, but by joining the trade channel you are effectively left with no chat channels since you are not meant to use help for it either.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Great idea.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    I suggested adding the trade chat to the actual trade window some time ago, that way everyone can see everything they want to at a glance.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotugo View Post
    It makes a lot of sense to have it as an extra tab, trade has been getting moderated a fair bit to stop any none trade chat, but by joining the trade channel you are effectively left with no chat channels since you are not meant to use help for it either.
    Agree with this, having to leave a conversation your having on one of the other global channels to post/see in the trade channel is irritating

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    I go along with this idea to help MODs (and helpful experienced settlers) spend less time telling noobs where to chat about trading! Global 1 suffers through too many interruptions from them. I still think that some will ask in global 1 but, hopefully, a significantly lesser amount than now.

World
    Newfoundland
    Giving spammers easier access to multiple channels will make (trade) spam worse. Spammers already "accidentally" post their trades in help. Giving them access to global-1, trade and help just increases their targets. MODs already have a hard enough time chasing the accidents out of help and global-1 channel, multiple channels will just make life harder and more spam.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Actually, for the MODs it will not change a thing in the worst case scenario. All it will do is move global-3 players to trade chat, changing the global-3 to another language chat. At first some players might be confused, true, but it will change quickly.

Edited:
    Just noticed that on one of the pictures from the plans on new year in Dev Diary, there is "Handel" tab present. Maybe they are actually implementing it soon.
    Last edited by DieterG; 23.11.12 at 01:54.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by DieterG View Post
    Actually, for the MODs it will not change a thing in the worst case scenario. All it will do is move global-3 players to trade chat, changing the global-3 to another language chat. At first some players might be confused, true, but it will change quickly.

Edited:
    Just noticed that on one of the pictures from the plans on new year in Dev Diary, there is "Handel" tab present. Maybe they are actually implementing it soon.
    Sorry to dash your hopes, old stock photo.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Been mentioning this more then once in chat.. would be nice to be able to open up other chats in new tabs as well, like your local language chat

1 yes from me.

Reply to Thread