Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trade Calculator - New Online Tool

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle

Lightbulb Trade Calculator - New Online Tool

I wanted to let everyone know about the new calculator available at thesettlersonlinesim.com

I originally wrote this tool for the USA Zeus server, but have included support for most other servers. The Trade Calculator is a tool that lets you see what items and resources are currently trading for on your server, and tries to help you make descisions about whether or not a trade being offered in the trade office is reasonable or not.

Unlike most trade calculators on the internet, this tool is updated daily with current values unique to each server's economy.

The direct links for the servers are:

Newfoundland:
    http://thesettlersonlinesim.com/trad...r=newfoundland

Northisle:
    http://thesettlersonlinesim.com/trad...rver=northisle

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    -Draxxon

P.S. Sorry, but I haven't been able to create an account on Sandycove yet. Once I can, I'll add it to the list of servers.

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    Hi Draxxon and thanks for this but it wold help to understand what is deemed 'fair'.
    I just tried an example o Northisle of 100 Map Fragments for 700 gold coins and it tells me a fair trade is anything between 211 and 1176 coins - of course thats a huge variance of 2 coins to 12 coins (rounded) per map fragment so its not clear to me how I deem if a trade is fair...

Thanks for making this available though
    fishslice

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    I think that all trade calculators have one common error - they don't consider the specific economy of a player. There simply is not one common resources ratio for all. As in the real economy if a resource is rare for me (I'm producing very little of it) I'm willing to pay more for it. If I'm not producing a resource at all and I need it, I'm actually willing to pay any price for it. So I don't care what's the usual price in the market.
    So a trade calculator should first know and consider VALUE (NOT PRICE) of a resource for a particular player. Only value is something objective something comparable, which can be base for trading and fair price setting.
    The question is now, how can we find out the value of a resource? This is very simple in TSO (not so simple in real economy, though ) The workers are not lazy, they work always the same time when producing one unit of a resource and do not get any salary . So here is the key - THE TIME.
    Just find out how many buildings of the same kind you have, consider their levels and basic production time and it's simple math - you can calculate the value for one unit of a resource in seconds. Do the same for all your economy and you get the ratios, which you can then compare with the ratios on the market and buy or sell accordingly.
    As we all have different economy structure, the values and ratios will be different for all of us, so that's the reason why one common trade calculator can't be right.

I've created very simple calculator for me in Excel and it works perfect for me. I can share it with anyone.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    it looks like you based prices on trades from game. you can't do that. people just trying sell something with crazy price. that's why you have so big difference between min and max. even if you remove couple of min and max values and than make meridian or something, still is not good enough.

if you calculate price of copper ore and coal and than you will try to calculate price of bronze and bronze sowords, you will get different price than on market. just doesn't work like this. I tried calculate it too.

i made tool for analyzing trades and i used prices from different server. but it is better than nothing. I thing this is baset on what people realy want to pay.

maybe i will try to balance prices on my server to. using this excel and than take trades +-25% (or something) and than make average.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I love this tool a lot but it doesn't seem like the underlying data is getting updated, for Newfoundland at least. Can you update this or maybe allow a way to let trusted users submit data?

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    I'd love to know how the baseline data for prices is gathered, is it from sucessful trades, or all submitted trades? cos I just got the following result

40000 Pinewood = 1-28833 Coins. The average trade would be for about 3148 Coins.

3000 gc for 40k pinewood logs?????

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Hey Draxxon, do you want an invitation to Sandycove? I'd love to have the tool for our server as well )

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently. My Grandmother died a couple of weeks ago, and It's been difficult keeping up with everything. I will try to do better in the future.

As far as the odd ratios go, I'm looking into these. The system is based on actual trades that have been posted. It tries to filter out the "upside-down" and "junk" trades, but doesn't always manage to do so. If enough of these creep in to the database, then it begins to affect the ratios. I'm working on a fix for these, and should have it in the next week or so.

Thanks for your understanding,
    -Draxxon

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by rooban View Post
    Hey Draxxon, do you want an invitation to Sandycove? I'd love to have the tool for our server as well )
    Thanks rooban, I actually just managed to create an account for it the other day and am working on getting data collected. I'll support Sandycove as soon as I get enough trades in the database. (hopefully a couple of days)

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by DraxxonEU1 View Post
    I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently. My Grandmother died a couple of weeks ago, and It's been difficult keeping up with everything. I will try to do better in the future.

As far as the odd ratios go, I'm looking into these. The system is based on actual trades that have been posted. It tries to filter out the "upside-down" and "junk" trades, but doesn't always manage to do so. If enough of these creep in to the database, then it begins to affect the ratios. I'm working on a fix for these, and should have it in the next week or so.

Thanks for your understanding,
    -Draxxon
    Sorry to hear about your grandma Draxxon. All I can say is keep the good memories in your heart, and she will never die. I know, I have my grandma there

I highlighted the point I want to adress. Any tool that only collects the data on trades posted will never give good results. People can post something for an insane price that never sells, but your tool will collect and display that price. Unless you can find a way to see only the trades that sell then the tool is of limited use.

But depest respect for making it, I know I could not do it after you

Reply to Thread