Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Chat and Trade rules

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle

[Feedback] Chat and Trade rules

In the chat and trade rules it says

"It is forbidden to sell or exchange in-game content (gems, codes, resources, accounts, vouchers etc...) for real money or digital goods. Any type of purchase/exchange/trade that isn't fully supported by the tools provided by blue byte is at the user's own risk. "

This is being interpreted to mean, with BB support, that it is not allowed to advertise gems or gem vouchers on g-3. The moderators are being told uphold this interpretation and to point people to the above as justification for it.

The problem is, this is NOT a correct interpretation of the above rule. It is wrong both in a literal meaning of the words and a common sense understanding of what the rule is actually trying to prevent. If moderators are to justify their blue-byte mandated moderation with reference to this rule, then the rule needs changing by Blue Byte.

First, the common sense interpretation of the rule is that it is there to prevent people making some sort of monetary profit in real life from selling things in the trade system. It is intended to keep everything totally within the game environment. For-profit trading of in-game content is well known in many other games and can be damaging. I think it is a very good thing that Blue Byte have instigated this rule.

Second, for the literal interpretation of the rule: no "in game content" can be exchanged for "real money" or "digital goods". The quoted terms need defining.

"in game content" is already defined: gems, codes, resources, accounts, vouchers etc...

ie, in game content is absolutely anything available in the game.

"real money": well, that's pretty obvious.

"digital good": well, a good is something that has real world value, and a digital good is one that can be transferred digitally, eg an mp3 or an itunes mp3 voucher.

So, the literal interpretation of this rule is that nothing which is available within the game can be traded for real money or anything else which has real world value.

This does not prevent the trading of gems for other in-game content, since in game content does not have real world value. However, since trading of gems (or vouchers) is not supported by the in-game interface, the second sentence of the above rule makes clear that it is done at the user's risk.

The only way the above rule can be interpreted to mean that gems can not be traded for other in-game content on g-3 is if you interpret "digital goods" to mean in-game digital "goods". This is not a possible definition since it creates an internal contradiction in the rule. If "digital goods" means "in-game content", then the rule says "no in-game content can be traded for in-game content" and all trading has been effectively banned.

I can understand BB wanting to stop people selling gem vouchers, but if you're going to tell moderators to enforce this, you need to give them something to back them up. At present, you're just embarrasing your moderators, putting them in a difficult position and creating an avenue for arguments on chat about moderation.

You need to have an explicit additional rule saying, "gems, voucher codes and accounts cannot be traded for other in-game content on public channels, and any private trading of such items is at user's own risk". Or you specifically ban the trading of gems, voucher codes and accounts completely, although how you would enforce that I have no idea.

Please stop making your moderators' jobs harder by insisting that your rules mean something they do not.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Totally agree on everything you said! Just want to add, if it is wrong to trade gem vouchers, and is right to trade gem stuff, BB needs to explain why? Because in the end its basically the same. Only difference there is that by buying gems u can acquire some unique stuff that are not giftable. Some people will never pay money for gems, and they find challenging playing the game that way. On the other hand there are people that would spend some cash aaand are willing to trade their vouchers for goods...after all they are worth much more on the market then gem stuff, so both clients are happy!! No one is happy now......

If it is a prohibiting rule for security and protection from scams, then it is a patronising rule that interferes with our basic liberties to do what we wish! I was cheated and scammed several times and i reaaally dont care, cuz after all it is just a game It is a risk that i took with full awareness.....

If it is not about protection, what is it then???

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer BB_Dantesama's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Thank you Gerontius for your constructive feedback.

I can see why those rules could be confusing for a few people.

With your permission, I'd like to use your example and add it to the rules? "gems, voucher codes and accounts cannot be traded for other in-game content on public channels, and any private trading of such items is at user's own risk"

Thank you, I'll await your response.

BB_Dantesama
    I am no longer the Community Manager for this version of TSO. Please send any question to BB_Ravel.

Rules and Code of Conduct ¤¤¤ Beginner's Guide ¤¤¤ Important Links ¤¤¤ Help/Support & FAQ

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    You certainly have my permission and I do not reserve any copyright in my original post

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer BB_Dantesama's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    You certainly have my permission and I do not reserve any copyright in my original post
    Thank you.
    I am no longer the Community Manager for this version of TSO. Please send any question to BB_Ravel.

Rules and Code of Conduct ¤¤¤ Beginner's Guide ¤¤¤ Important Links ¤¤¤ Help/Support & FAQ

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Is it not allow to buy a, for exemple, a silo for gems and sell it on trade for coins?

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Nobody will answer?

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    It is allowed to buy items for gems and sell them for resources or gc in Trade office.
    It is just not allowed to sell someone gems so he/she can buy a silo.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    The rules have been rewritten again and are once more a total mess.

Don't be surprised if you start getting complaints about inaccurate moderation again...

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    The rules have been rewritten again and are once more a total mess.

Don't be surprised if you start getting complaints about inaccurate moderation again...
    Can you please elaborate?

Reply to Thread