Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts after 2-3 months of play

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Thoughts after 2-3 months of play

I have been playing the game for a few months now, lvl 33, here are my thoughts...

The main issue for me is there are too many different tiers of waiting times.
    Once a day fields and water needs sorting and provision house managed.
    2 or 3 times a day buffs need to be applied to gold mines etc
    At various increments of time from 1min to 4 hours prospectors are sent out
    At 6hr or 12 or 24h explorers need to be sent out
    Generals being sent out takes 30min
    From ordering a general to attack a bandit camp to their return takes 4-5min
    The process of getting all units needed for adventure to be delivered to a zone requires dealing with a series of 30min waits.

I understand some aspects of free online games is tedious tasks and time sinks. The problem for me is the game isnt something you can sit down and play for 1 hour a day to get the most out of it, nor is it something you can just log in for 2-3min a few times a day. Why not? Well due to the way adventures work and the way prospecting must be done for the various types.

Adventures are really rather poor experiences in my opinion. I dont mind the home map and city building/management being a bit tedious if the adventures were an exciting reward for all that effort, but adventures are fantastically tedious, many, many 30min travel waits and 3-5min fighting waits. Then the nature of units required for each fight, that is also tedious and lacks any play enjoyment. I stopped watching the battle reports a long, long time ago, even they are tedious experiences, completely predictable and too much timing between each phase.

My suggestion would be to rework the adventures to play fluidly without silly and rather pointless time sinks. When my general is off to a fight I want to be excited not bored with the tedium of watching him take 2-3min to get to the fight! The time sink is our main island management, let adventures be fun please!
    I would also rework buffing/prospecting/exploring so they are easier to manage.
    I would also add the wording of all text from quests to adventures to mail to enemy tool tips etc is rather dull and a little awkward, maybe directly translated from another language. Could do with spicing up. This text is a major part of the games character and it can be improved dramatically.

I understand the game is designed at first to hook you in with the reasonable level of pace of first 17 levels and then more and more layers of tediousness are added, which the goal being to entice people to pay real cash to buy things to reduce this tediousness to more manageable levels BUT even if you did splash the cash there is nowhere within the game to enjoy some real fun. Adventures even with all the gem generals are still going to be predictable, slow and dull.

So with no real fun to be had all we are left with is as a possible motive to play is beautification of our home map. I would suggest adding more ways to personalize our Island. Being able to manipulate land, maybe add rivers to the game and allow players to change their course or damn them to power windmills or divert them to irrigate farms. Some genuine land management would be fun. Also allowing people to give names to their buildings. Could be fun, naming the Brewery after your personal favourite beer.

For me as it is the same is just so tedious its painful and I am glad I resisted the urge to buy gems as having played a little longer I can see this game is not going to offer much in its current state.

Yes the game is free but my time is of value to me, this game tries to rob you of that time until the point where the urge to open the wallet is too great. I dont mind paying good money for a good game, but this game is just dull and the only reward for actions is just more dull tasks. I didnt have to write this, I could have not bothered but I like the company behind this game based on previous games and think feedback is always of value. Ultimately this game feels like it is set up as a sting, designed to bore you into submission and pay cash. I dont think long term this type of game adds value to a company. I'll be less likely to buy a future game from them based on this experience.

In summary... The game is tedious in every aspect. Real money can allow people to reduce some of the tedium BUT still as it stands even with large amounts of cash investment the game would still give back very little. Please make some aspect of the game less tedious. Make adventures actually fun and pleasurable and keep the gem/cash aspect of the game to the main map. The devs have over cooked the tedious factor to generate income, reduce the tedium in some areas and the game may have a longer life span for customers.

World
    Sandycove
    So true.

+1
    "Teamwork is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results."-Andrew Carnegie
    "When you confront a problem you begin to solve it." -Rudy Giuliani
    "To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable." -Barry Goldwater
    "No man is an island..." -John Donne
    "To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility." -Benjamin Franklin
    "Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitude and in actions." -Harold S. Geneen

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    I too have been thinking about naming. Three possibilities have come to mind, 1 Island name, a area at the top of the map where you can put the name of your island "Joe's Place" with a sub-title for some text "Here be dragons". 2 Sector name's as island name but no sub-title. 3 Location names, click on one of the signpost graphic and a name pops up, this allows players to name as many locations on their island as they like providing they have the signposts.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    There is a fundamental problem with the game with regard to lack of on going enjoyment through diversity of play and goal achievement in general.

Even when you understand the game is deliberately slow to progress in, so you don't blast through to the top level in a month, there's a distinct lack of short term goals.. leveling works for a while until the XP gap between levels becomes disproportionately huge.

Adventures are seriously boring affairs.. they seem new and exciting at first until you realize they are just the same island clearing over and over again. The rigid "best path" on each island and combat that punishes mistakes in ways that prohibit experimentation means it becomes a game of: start adventure > check 3rd party guide for troops and order of attack > repeat. its fundamentally boring.. no randomisation, no experimentation and paltry rewards.

Even special seasonal events are either just another rigid adventure island and/or collect the special currency. The special items are a fantastic bonus to be fair but the process of acquiring them is tedious at best.

For the first time in months I had some fun with the game after the last update when a pile of quests popped up and i had a dozen goals to complete. It made me want to do them and even to level up but it was short lived as the quests quickly got completed and the meager XP now looks even less enticing when i need 200,000 to level up and the quests bring in less than 3,000 each.

It made me think they should have daily quests and guild quests (as broken as the mechanics of those are) but also weekly quests.. give players a dozen or two minor quests with stuff to do and attain that can't just be done in a day with help from friends trading that gives more short term goals that regular players can have fun with and that infrequent players wont be miffed about.

Island personalisation is a basic surely! Most online games allow you some degree of personalisation to give you a sense of ownership, pride and satisfaction but again the rigid concept means yes your island can look different to other peoples but since they are all shaped the same with the same resources in the same place.. realistically there are very few combinations that exploit the landscape equally efficiently. Even our avatars are selected from a very limited list of generic faces that mean at a glance you cant even tell friend from stranger.

Guilds are a great gaming concept to bring in distractions and fun with minimal effort but all guilds do here is give a absolutly basic chat facility and a (currently) broken quest system... where are the usual guild benefits with grouped resources, purchases, influence and power.. its totally missing and divorced from other guilds too. Guilds are for pride, conquest and rivalry.. but they don't even function well for the people in them let alone in comparison to one another.

Truth be told it feels like all the Dev teams time is spent in fire fighting bugs and less on development and expansion. Don't get me wrong the vast majority of the new material adds hugely to the game in positive ways but it's just so few, far between and limited in scope and vision.. and when we hear people who spend time on the test server pointing out flaws and bugs only for those to just get ignored and ported over to the live game you can't blame people being miffed.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    the game fails when you realise if you just sold the stuff on the auction taht you would have used to do an adventure and bought the rewards with the money you gained you would be better off and have what you wanted.

effectively your buying XP. so many of my friends i introduced to this game don't play anymore cause the wells, fields and adventures ritual got boring.

it would be so easy to make the general run 10x faster to a camp to make it interesting - losses should be significantly less and you shouldn't be able to block camps - you should't know what's in your set of camps till you join the island, random is more fun than reading someone's guide.

also, loot should be soulbound and not producable

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    In my opinion this game is an awful representation of the original The Settlers game concept.

Committed Clicker
    World
    Sandycove
    It would be much better if all adventures were unique, like unlocking areas on your home island for the first time, and loot was more varied and only raw materials. So many weapons as loot killed the market, and lost the need to make the buildings that produce those weapons even though they are all in the quests now.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I find it very relaxing game and i can actually log in for 5-10 min at a time sort some stuff out log out without any issues.
    Adventures have long timers from 24 hours to several days, so if you cant finish adventuro on one go, you can do it in the span of couple days.
    As there is no rankings yet or anything like player vs player activity, this game is the definition of a peacefull economical simulator with a little side step in to combat.
    Unless you feel the pressure to have everything maxed (which is your problem) I don't see how this game requires so much time, for me it doesn't.
    (p.s. lvl 39)

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    Certainly the pace of the game will suit the casual player and balance of production makes a massive difference to how much time you need to spend building and maintaining production lines. The issue for me is more with the lack of diversity and content for the more invested player. There's no reason the game cant be fun for both styles of player and there is a frame work in place to build off... they just don't seem to be building off it.

There is a woeful lack of information and guidance in game, that you can to go to 3rd party sites to find out about, but you see these same issues time and again in the forums and chat because the game doesn't let you know itself. The new tutorial does a lot better than the previous one but still there's a tonne of info missing that could help people appreciate how this game actually works.

As a player of every Settlers game, from 2 onwards, we are used to rapid city building and great animations and yet they don't really capture that here and it's a shame. Of course this is a whole new medium and its not going to work the same way but still there's something lacking.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    totally agree with Zosimus - finally its boring game with boring everyday habits - fields, water, buffs, mines, geologist trips, something to sell, produce many hundreds of recruits to lose them in "adventure" ...

Reply to Thread