Thread: [Feedback] End of the World

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Finally! Thank you!

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    It's good to see someone from BB taking the reigns on this ... its WELL overdue. I know that all intentions were good with this event. The whole community got excited about it and many players have participated in the "spirit" of the game. These issues were flagged within the first 2 days and BB only said that there was nothing wrong. This creates a HUGE trust issue. The whole event stinks ! That ANYONE would profit from the fiasco is sickening.... now i read on the German servers that there is much hilarity and boasting about being the best and that other communities here were "too slow catching on to the cheat method". Talk about rubbing our noses in it !

Whilst i appreciate the interest FINALLY being shown by BB, someone needs to get off their "seat" and deal with the issue fairly and openly. No more BS please. Be honest with the findings, share ALL of the stats which make the results table and prove conclusively whether all parties played in the "spirit" of the competition.

We don't want to hear excuses like .. "it is perfectly normal to cancel an adventure after a few camps were killed" ... or "its ok to exploit your knowledge of how the tables are scored to your advantage".... Lets see a table which shows how many adventures were played, how many "ACTIVE" players were counted and how many of the adventures were cancelled or ended without the final "FINISH" message.

A table like this would dispell all doubt and make things VERY clear.

Disappointed, angry and very disillusioned !

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    A great way to assign any rewards is to turn the whole thing on its head and put those with the MOST cancelled adventures (i.e. cheaters) at the bottom of the table and the ones with the LEAST number of cancelled adventures at the top :-)

This would penalise cheats and reward honesty !

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer BB_Dantesama's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Hey guys,

(I thought necessary to copy this post in here as well)

I did not want to sound like Captain Obvious but I'll throw in my two cents on what's going right now.

It is pretty obvious that some servers (german mainly) had an advantage due to the fact that they have a lot more higher level players (older server).

The lack of precision in numbers and the lack of infomation on the calculation process have been an issue indeed, I think this has caused confusion on your objectives for the adventure, this would also explain the conspiracy theories, the cheat rumours, trust issues...

We will provide more details next time.

So yes, the stat calculation is flawed, It's actually far from being perfect. However, NO, cheats do not exist for this contest.
    I will try and provide more details on the calculation process and how cancelling a quest was DETRIMENTAL to the Contest more than anything else.
    Remember, this is BB's first attempt in organising a little competition between servers. Your feedback is crucial and things will be different next time round.

I actually think this has been a positive event, (beyond the obvious faults) it has brought people together and united them. This has also giving you an idea/hint on how your server might react facing future PVP events.

I will forward any information I have as soon as I have any.

Best

BB_Dantesama
    I am no longer the Community Manager for this version of TSO. Please send any question to BB_Ravel.

Rules and Code of Conduct ¤¤¤ Beginner's Guide ¤¤¤ Important Links ¤¤¤ Help/Support & FAQ

World
    Sandycove
    I completed one EOTW adventure and was quite positive about it, there was a good sense of community competition. But looking at the leader board tables twice daily there must be something terribly wrong with the way this competition has been assessed. The board leaders have jumped exponentially in just a few days. When compared to the pretty much linear growth of the majority of the other servers, this suggests some sort of advantage has been gained. I can only hope that this anomaly is investigated before the winners are announced. I hate biased systems, in an apparently fair competition.
    Last edited by BlackCastle; 17.12.12 at 16:39. Reason: removed references to cheating.
    Message me in game for trade.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Thanks Dantesama. I look forward to seeing something here in the near future. Our only measure of what is happening is the published table, Unfortunately that table does not appear to reflect any sort of detrimental effect of cancelled adventure, in fact i am sure it includes those. So i suggest stop publishing the table until it is fixed to reflect the above mentioned detriment. As it is, the table just winds people up even more :-)

after all, if i was on a German or Polish server where they have been "insisting" that players cancel after the initial milestone, I would like to know what i REALLY have to do in the last few days... I suspect that if this is ALL they have done right from the start, they are probably right at the BOTTOM of the table. It seems quite possible that after the second day they may not have completed a FULL adventure at all !

just a suggestion ;-)
    Last edited by HogarHorrible; 17.12.12 at 16:58.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Trakist, it is already proving to be unfair. New players is only one of the issues. The leading servers have only been partially completing the adventure and getting a credit in the results for it ! So, it already a washout ! Sorry for the disappointing news !

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by HogarHorrible View Post
    Trakist, it is already proving to be unfair. New players is only one of the issues. The leading servers have only been partially completing the adventure and getting a credit in the results for it ! So, it already a washout ! Sorry for the disappointing news !
    alleged is the word- BB denies it, some people say it is so

I get sense of deja vu and see all kinds of parrots, usually one specific color

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    I do not think a cheat is needed to explain the stats, it is simply the number of high-level players on each server. That still makes me very disappointed with BB for this, because they could and should have anticipated this - it wasn't hard to work out.

As an example, (purely to show the maths, I have no actual figures from BB or anywhere else):

Server A has 1,000 active players, 750 of whom are level 40 or higher.
    Server B has 1,000 active players, 400 of whom are level 40 or higher.

If Server A's 750 players do 2 adventures each, they complete 1,500 adventures for a score of 150%.
    If Server B's 400 players do 2 adventures each, they complete 800 adventures for a score of just 80%.

As you can see, it is easy to get a massive differential between servers simply because of the number of high-level players - it does not take a cheat to explain the numbers.

Try it out yourself with different scenarios on the maths, but whatever you do its clear a server with a significantly greater number of high-level players will cream a server with a higher percentage of active players who aren't high enough level to complete the adventure. What is unforgivable is that BB really MUST have known this, it is very obvious, so they should have factored it into the calculations for a contest between servers.

So, I don't think there's a cheat, but I still think BB have some serious re-thinking to do and owe players an apology for basically misleading us as to the fairness of the event.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by jollyfog2012 View Post
    people selling or trying to sell the adventure in TO for huge profit actually makes me not want to bother for my server at all.

However, I know that there are people who are really trying, and like myself, have done it many times already, or have made the effort against harsher odds to finish it just once. There are also those who have no hope of completing it and have given resources, buffs etc to assist those who have asked for it.

But in my opinion, all those seen attempting to trade the adventure for profit should get diddly-squat and should be named and shamed.

I know personally some people who have gone out of there way to do this right and complete as many FULL adventures as possible to help us get towards the 100% minimum for rewards.
    Like you it sickens me the people on our server who try to rip others off for their own gain and flatly refuse to complete at least 1 adventure. one word comes to mind for these people.... selfish.
    There is a small determined hardcore group going out of our way to get rewards for the WHOLE server not just ourselves.
    We have those who DONATE resources needed for to complete the adventure from bread to crossbows free.
    We also have those with a never give up attitude and are fighting against all the odds with no crossbows just to complete at least 1 adventure with much bigger losses than them who refuse to do it would have had.
    Then you got people like me forever posting in global chats asking for help as well as (me personally taking this to another level and translating a message in all native languages in all chat rooms and posting in them also) which did work 1 Italian person came over and offered to help. OK i had to whisper and translate every word but we got there in the end.
    Then there is the secret/shy helpers that go out of their way secretly helping just to help us all get closer to that 100% minimum.
    OK they might be problems in the stats chart and the Germans had a unfair advantage etc etc.
    What we need is for people to STOP moaning and START completing the end of world adventures.
    So Sandycove we have 2 days left. need 35% if we all tried to help each other we could do it if we don't then we can say at least we gave it a good try and to the best of our ability to get there.

LETS GET ATTACKING AND FINISHING THE END OF THE WORLD ADVENTURES. YOUR SERVER NEEDS YOU!

Closed Thread