Reply to Thread

Thread: Swap guild quest rewards around

Nifty
    World
    Northisle

Swap guild quest rewards around

This has become bit of an issue in our guild and probably in many other guilds too: we have plenty of people who play every day, and we have also plenty of people who play pretty much just during the weekend. And we like all of the players. However, guild quest taking constantly 6-7 days to complete is causing major unhappiness among the people. The active players are doing majority of the 'work' towards the quests, wait for days to get the rewards while most of the inactives just show up one day a week, collect the reward and go away again for a week.

So, is the purpose of guild quests to force us to kick all the weekend players to a separate guild?

Here's a perfect solution: swap the rewards around. For completing your personal part of the guild quest, reward 105 guild coins. If the whole guild completes the quest, everyone gets another 15 coins.

How does that solve everything you may ask? Now we can give everyone a day to complete the quest, get their 105 coins... and if it looks like the guild quest won't be completed, cancel it. No +15 reward today. The active players will be lot more happy getting 105 coins every day than 120 per week. And the casual weekend players are no longer harassed for being too inactive (which is due to work, family, having a life, nothing that they deserve to be harassed for).

World
    Newfoundland
    Your idea is open to abuse. It would be easy for the guild leader to cancel the quest just so people get the coins everyday

The current system is fair to all. It's upto the guild in question if they want to sort the guild out with 100% active players or not.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I agree with Borotaur. The current system tend to make us migrate to smaller guilds in order to quickly complete the quests.

To respond to Tierarzt: I fail to see the abuse. If leader want to cancel after 1 day the players from that guild wont get 100% of guild coins. Furthermore any guild leader is able to "abuse" the rule.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    And don't forget that if you adjust Rewards you must adjust the objectives too, to keep the balance. This would back-fire and ruin them again

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    Reward is 105+15 coins (or whatever it may be at your level, I assume it's level based) regardless of which way the rewards are placed. They are daily quests for a reason: you're meant to complete them daily. Every day. There's no balance issue to fix if you allowed people to complete personal part and then cancel the guild part. Lot of guilds do complete the quests every day because they got rid of their casual players or never had any. Those players are making 120 coins per day. Our members get less than 20 per day because we have to wait for week for the casuals to log in.

Settlers has been a friendly game and allowed all kinds of players co-exist nicely, but guild quests are quickly ruining that atmosphere.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    There's your problem : Casuals. The guild quest checks people who logged in the last 2 days (right?) so that's not that casual.

What do you mean by "There's no balance issue to fix"? The objectives are connected to the reward. You rise the reward, you rise the objective. That leads to harder objectives and sad people. nobody would do the GQ no more.

I would HATE it if they would change the GQ. They're good as they are right now, everybody (well except some) are happy with them.

I would like to point out that I'm not talking against you Borotaur, but the problem must be solved bu you and your guild, not by BB.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Imagine on Sunday we have 100 people online. So 67 needed to complete guild quest. But 34 enter only Saturday/Sunday. So we have to wait till next we to complete it. This is the problem with this system. (Not to mention that 1-5 daily players are going on holidays...)

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Sorry, but i strongly disagree with this idea.

As Tierarzt says, the idea to way too easy to abuse, get a quick higher reward and don't bother with the working together bit to get that little extra.

Joining a guild is about working together but also to find the balance between getting different things done within the guild and socializing.

If your happy to have casual players in your guild, then accept it and be happy, but accept the consiquenses that, that choice brings to your guild.

The guild that i am in range from doing the guild quest everyday to taking about 5 days, but we don't moan about it.

Just accept it or change the problems within your guild.

have a jolly nice day

Davey

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    Again I have to agree with Tierarzt here as it would lead to people just doing the guild quest and then cancel and it just would'nt work. We have actually made our guild alot more strict now as to who we call active and what they need to do to stay active within the guild.

In complete fairness, even if you have a family a very busy job etc (I do) and cant get on here much other than weekends it really wouldn't hurt if these players popped on here for 5-10 minutes every now and again in the week to complete the guild quests as even for the busiest of people there is still time to be found if you want to be part of an active guild and enjoy the game, that is exactly what a guild is about. People have to go out of there way a little bit more to be able to complete these tasks.

The new guild quest set up is a massive improvement on the last one so I think we should be completely happy here with what we have and unfortunately you have to get a little bit stricter on your guild members as we have had to. It is still only a matter of 5-20 minutes maximum on an evening which to be fair can still be acheaved by almost everyone unless you are on holiday or something else which in that case cant be helped anyway.

So I am all for it staying exactly how it is because I would hate to see it open up to abuse and drag the game down even further than I already feel it is going with BB not pulling there finger out for the level 50 players who are al leaving in there flocks but that is a separate issue which I will take up with BB anyway.

So im sorry to the OP I can see where you are coming from and what you are suggesting but it just isn't practical in this game. We have shaved our guild right down now and it does seem to be working for us and sometimes you just have to get tough on your members.

Regards

Gavin

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Borotaur View Post
    Reward is 105+15 coins (or whatever it may be at your level, I assume it's level based) regardless of which way the rewards are placed. They are daily quests for a reason: you're meant to complete them daily. Every day. There's no balance issue to fix if you allowed people to complete personal part and then cancel the guild part. Lot of guilds do complete the quests every day because they got rid of their casual players or never had any. Those players are making 120 coins per day. Our members get less than 20 per day because we have to wait for week for the casuals to log in.

Settlers has been a friendly game and allowed all kinds of players co-exist nicely, but guild quests are quickly ruining that atmosphere.
    I agree with you but also settlers is and always has been a friendly game. And in our guild we still have about 70% who log in at least once a day and most of the others will still log in if there is a quest that needs to be completed.
    In fairness it isn't kicking the casual players out of it but they made a choice to be casual players so then maybe it would be a good option if they were to join a casual guild with like minded players and then that's the problem solved for them as they will still get there guild quests and they can do them in there own time and not slow down the players who are on here all all the time.
    I personally think that 99% of casual players would actually agree to do this if they enjoy the game and understand the impact it is having on others, I mean its not like they have to leave the game and can never speak to you again it just means they have to start another guild and they can still work alongside you even there. The smaller the guild the less people have to complete it, so its the only real answer.

I would just like to say also I am not having a go here, just also stating my opinion and possible solutions.

Reply to Thread