Reply to Thread

Thread: A question about attacking camps

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove

A question about attacking camps

I'm doing a Sons of the Veld adv which I enjoy, I am following the Killste guide for this as his guides usually work well.
    Except in SotV at one point I have been unable to get one block in particular to work, I suspect it's down to wrongful placement of generals.
    So I attack one camp seperatly to reduce the risk of losses, and do a lesser block with fewer gens.
    I consider the loss of a few extra R's acceptable balanced against a possible loss of quality troops if the block fails.
    Now this camp contains 80 Guard Dogs and 80 Rangers.
    I'm attacking with a Veteran Gen with 80R and 118S, with a typical loss of 63R to my troops.

80R+118S=198 troops,

If I increase the number of soldiers to 170 so as to fill my vet gen full, I still kill the camp, of course, but don't reduce the number of R's lost.
    That's ok.

My question is this.
    If I increase the number of soldiers above what the guide and a combat sim says is there a danger to my troops ?
    I remember reading somewhere on this forum about something called "splashback".
    Also surely increasing the number of soldiers should also reduce the number of R's lost.

What am I missing here ?
    Any ideas? anyone ?

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    The reason for those numbers in the guide is that that is sufficient troops to win in the most efficient way. More troops would still win just as effectively but you're risking more if the block fails.

A quick search for "splashback" shows no discussion of the term. Perhaps you're thinking about splash damage? No troops in this fight have splash damage

The number of Rs lost can't be reduced by adding more soldiers since it's a 1 round combat whatever you do. ie, it's as efficient a kill as it can be already.

So, the answer to your question is that you have missed lots of things.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    thanks Gerontius for answering, ah of course its a 1 round fight, excellent
    so splashdamage is non existent, however what's splash damage ?

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    If an enemy has spash damage, the damage that they have more than is needed to kill the target, will be used to kill the next target, an example:

30 roughnecks (20-40 damage each, no splash) against my 50 bowmen (10hp each):

What will stand after the first round? Answer: 20 bowmen, because every roughneck can only target 1 bowmen.

1 wild mary (740-800 damage, with splash) against my 50 bowmen (10hp each)

What will stand after the first round? Anwer: 0 bowmen, because after mary killed the first bowmen, she have still (730-790) splashdamage left, which she uses to kill all other 49 bowmen, one at the time.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    ahh thanks for the answer, you explain it very well

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Just to clear up splashback is something males often get when visiting a urinal =)

Reply to Thread