Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reevaluate Endless Copper Mine Cost

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    It was an old debate AngelRane and always good to revisit in case things change. For me I like them as they are - as one of the previous thread posters said, if cheaper they would have lots - that would hurt the in-game economy (in my humble opinion)

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Nah, it wouldn't hurt the economy a bit. There are only 6 copper slots, you can have only 3 endless mines. You save tiny amount of resources for rebuilding 3 mines. You can get more copper practically because of upgrading the mines to level 5 in the end, yes, but copper is so common that having more tools or bronze sticks is no big deal.
    Compare it to other gamebreaking buildings - like deerstalker - unlimited tradable building that eliminates the need to care about your hunting grounds. And it only costs 1/10th of ECM.

Uh, nevermind nevermind me. I am trying it again, haha.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    You see it wrong. An endless coppermine at level 5 buffed will be able to keep FOUR L5 coppersmelters running. Basically it frees you from the hassle of rebuilding your mines every day and upgrading it to L2. As copper is the core of your economy (no copper means no bronze swords means no adventures) its an basic building to have.
    For 20.000 gems you can buy 26 Silo's which is not not that effective. Don't forget building wheatfields only takes a few seconds and you have instant replacements, so if you have plenty of wheatfields you can log in built three fields and logout Also 26 silo's takes more space on your island then one single coppermine.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    imo the building is overpriced but there isnt a whole lot i can do about it or want to do about it- if they want premium items in game, thats their prerogative really. I have always been amazed at how much money some people trow at a game - like 100's or 1000's of dollars or euros for an online toon in an mmo etc or tons of cash for in game gold - but fact is they do it- so some will do it in tso as well

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Hm, well, I don't say it should cost 1000 gems, nor 2000. If it would cost 10000, it would at least became accessible while remaining a "luxury" thing. That is my suggestion.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Funny. I don't mean to be rude here, but you're openly questioning people who are paid to come up with these numbers

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    I guess if you want to see it that way, nobody can help it.
    It was meant in good spirit. Not as any kind of offense.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    AngelRane

I do see your point its quite pricey, but at the same time I feel its a item ment for long term players that would like to "invest" in this game, if you think about it, how much money would you spend lets say playing WoW or SWTOR (before f2p) I know its not the same but to me money wise it is, I am willing to spend 50eur on a item, that will last me forever and if your a player that is considering to play TSO that long it would be a decent investment and it wouldnt bother you.

I agree 20k is a little much, but consider the fact that if it was 5k, I am pretty sure every 2nd player would have one, it would completely destroy the copper industry, Tools/BS and pretty much anything that costs Tools to make. I look at the endless copper mine as a "end game" item in the sense that once you have everything else done you can get one of those and sit back.

I myself have 5 gem pits and one copper mine, my entire island is filled with silo's and watermills and now with deerstalkers huts and it didn't come from buying gems (except the gem pits) and I feel its a good investment to make.

Its a thin line when a game becomes "f2p" and "need to pay to play"

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    You can discuss the issue till the cows come home. But the price will never change, and this discussion has been raised a few times before.

Wish someone could create a FAQ of all suggestions and summarize the feedback/answers.

There is a very strong reason WHY the price is what it is. Same reason things like Silo's and Watermills are what they are. The main reason the game dynamics/economics are designed this way is to keep players IN THE GAME as much as possible.

- The buffs buildable buffs done at 3hr intervals, with none of them closing around an 18/24hr duration, which forces you to be online at different times all hours of the day to keep them on.
    - Resource Deposits become exhausted at odd hours of the day, never at 12/24hr durations. EG. Copper mine level 1 depletes in 1.7days, 0.8days at level 2.
    - Permanent Buildings mining Deposits are even more limited to ensure constant player effort to find more, like Marble deposits being only 350 (lvl 5 Marble mason Exhausts Marble deposit in 15hrs), or Wheat (level 5 Farm depletes 400 Wheat field in 17hrs)

All these numbers don't match up, which means players have to always be in game to rebuild things to keep chains going. Any time they are out of the game, something is exhausted and waiting for rebuild.

So they offer you an alternative, a way to never be concerned about being online to rebuild something ever again. They give you Silo's, Watermills, Endless Copper Mine, etc. The other moto TSO is trying to keep to is not giving an advantage to paying players that cannot be achieved by non-paying players. And yet giving paying players a reason to pay. Most high-paying players do so because they have a lot of money, which usualy means they don't have a lot of time. So they give paying players a way to minimize time spent online by paying $$$.

- Then you get different ratios of resources required. I'm level 45 and own aproxx 60 Farm/Silo's as is required to maintain my productions and armies. On the the other hand, I have enough copper from only 6 mines (at level 2). So in a way, I need only 3 lvl 5 copper mines, which is 1/20 of the farm/Silo's I need. Keeping to the same ratio in gem value, 20 Silo's at 750 gems each = 1 copper mine at 15,000 gems.

Now the numbers I gave there are my personal observations, and some brief number-crunching just to show a trend, and may not be totally accurate. But they make the point. The idea here is that paying players pay a lot to get the advantage of time, not much else.

The point is NOT to give everyone the opportunity to have an endless copper mine. They want everyone to stay in game, constantly rebuilding/trading/adventuring. But if you don't have the time, and you have money to spend, there IS an alternative, and it'll cost you.

The item costs will never change, no matter how much you want them to. Discussion about it won't change anything. What you might get is incentives like 'happy hour' to get double gems. That's all.

Cheers
    Scruffy

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    Well written and explained EmporerScruffy

Reply to Thread