Reply to Thread

Thread: Guild quest - making them enjoyable (especially for higher levels) rather than a pain

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle

Guild quest - making them enjoyable (especially for higher levels) rather than a pain

The situation is familiar enough to those above level 40: you just started a Sons of the Veldt adventure in the evening, and the following morning you are surprised by a guildquest that calls for you to complete Dark Priests, Witch of the swamp, or (worse) the Nords. Now you're facing a dilemma: either you let down your guildies by ignoring the guildquest for that day, or you rush through SotV - if you can, for many it remains a multi-day adventure due to the troops needed and waits for generals to recover - and start on DP asap. Only to find that, just as you unload your troops to finish off DP, someone else has just completed the last necessary guildquest for that day.

Consequence: wasted resources, rushed play, and all for naught - an unenjoyable experience. Or guildies who think you aren't pulling your weight.

Now the idea that guildquests give a level-appropriate challenge is a fine one, and should be kept. There's also nothing wrong with asking adventures for a guildquest (though, seriously, I get DP twice a week, and Nords once every week. At least throw in some other adventures, pretty please, I got DP troopsettings learned by heart due to the current lack of variety).

So what are the proposed fixes then? Simple:
    - First of all, make it so that a guild-quest related adventure doesn't count towards the one self-started and one invited adventure limit. Make sure you can do it, even if you started on another adventure. Many of these simply require multiple days, based on the needed recruits, and even with a level 5 barracks it also takes time to build a few hundred cavalry. The guildquest shouldn't be seen as a competitor of those.
    - Secondly, make a condition that allows adventure-related guildquests to be completed before the adventure is finished. Of course, you don't want to encourage people to cancel the adventure, but if you introduce a 'chancellor of the realm' who offers to complete your guildquest for an additional 500 granite, refundable if you complete the whole adventure for him, the desired behavior wouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Hayek; 18.01.13 at 08:55.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    For me it hasn't been an issue yet, but I'm not 40+ yet either. I understand the issue though. I think it comes down to planning more then anything else though, and to help with that my suggestion is that we should be able to see what tomorrows guild quest will be. That way one can look at it before starting a long adventure like SotV.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Thanks for that suggestion, ZkilfinG. It would solve only half the problem though: you may still start an adventure and commit significant resources, only to see someone else finish the guildquest before you wrap up the adventure. It makes for disproportional amounts of wasted resources, as you don't get those back. Especially if one would (most extreme example) buy a Nords for it.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    You get stuff from completing the adventure though, but I understand that it's frustrating.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    How about if you do an adventure which is a significant higher investment in resources you get a bit more guildcoins then easier guildquests? Or otherwise just make Guildquest complete any adventure (above a certain difficulty depending on level?. Like this if you started one before you got GQ it helps you to count also towards GQ? Either way showing tomorrow´s quest is also a good idea.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    lvl 50 quests need to be geared more toward the lack of need for xp- so do not ask 50's to go do nords etc, it is like double punishment instead of something u wish to engage in. Already most 50's will buy lootspots to avoid doing em, but the lack of variety and everyone getting the same quest means that spots are not an easy thing to get either. And to do a high xp low reward adventure at lvl 50 really doesnt make any sense

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    a bit more variety would be great for the guild quests... not just "pay 40 cannons" or "pay 40" carriages" 3 times in a row when nobody in the guild has the ability to make these things... grossly unfair to have to buy something for 300 coins, when all you get back is 13 guild coins, and then a further 90 if everyone completes the quest. [removed].

Hello TheFairy,

A section of your post is against The Settlers Online code of conduct.

Please review the forum rules.

Thank you,
    Sinister-King
    Last edited by Sinister-King; 21.01.13 at 13:47.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    I've heard from support that as guilds grow bigger and people level up, the adventures-for-guildquests issue is only going to get worse. if that's the case, I think [removed] will happen soon enough.

Also, it means people in smaller guilds have an advantage, right to the point that if you're the only active member in a guild, you have a breeze. The additional guildcoins do not come even close to compensating for this.

a bit more variety would be great for the guild quests... not just "pay 40 cannons" or "pay 40" carriages" 3 times in a row when nobody in the guild has the ability to make these things... grossly unfair to have to buy something for 300 coins, when all you get back is 13 guild coins, and then a further 90 if everyone completes the quest.

Hello Hayek,

A section of your post is against The Settlers Online code of conduct.

Please review the forum rules.

Thank you,
    Sinister-King
    Last edited by Sinister-King; 21.01.13 at 13:49.

Reply to Thread