Closed Thread

Thread: Ban the word 'scam'

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove

Lightbulb Ban the word 'scam'

Hi, not a huge issue, but a suggestion others might want to discuss. I have passed this onto Support as a suggestion already.

In Sandycove at least, using the word 'scam' or 'scammer' is basically forbidden, and can quickly get you a chat ban for naming/shaming a player in public.

Any accusations of a 'scammer' should be reported to support, or /report command in-game.

I suggest simply adding the word 'scam' to the not-allowed list, like many swear words are. It will remove the misunderstandings, and miss use of the word. As there is no context in which the use of the word 'scam' would be permissible.

Other words that can be used with similar meaning:

Swindle, blackmail, cheating, con, con game, crooked deal, deceit, deception, double-cross, double-dealing, extortion, fast one, flimflam, fraud, hoax, hosing, hustle, racket, rip-off, shady deal, shakedown, sham, shell game, snow job, sting, sucker game

Cheers
    Scruffy

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    can we add nanny state as well in that case?

IMo these words are not offensive in their own right and so should not be on the list. Actions/inappropriate use of the words by players is something to be dealt with by game masters/moderators and support- not a blanket filter.

I can see plenty of non offensive conversations where these words can be used without accusing someone in game of cheating etc. Filtered words are a nuisance and already can lead to a ban- it would be very silly to be banned if i said in chat that bernie maddoff was a scammer and get bernie maddoff was a *** and get this followed with a 24 hour ban by some mod seeing the *** and citing that self moderation and/or filtered words can not be used and therefore you are being banned for 24 hours. I wonder how long the game will survive when non offensive words get censored just because some silly people can not manage their anger in chats. And as they can find a lot of other words to express the same, this would only bloat the filter more every month

And bottom line, non of those words are offensive nor in any way outside of pegi-7 scope. My advice is, if you are that sensitive to chats and the words used, just default to global-2 and have fun with the role players

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    You guys are bored

Based on your theory, bb would have to ban tens of words that could contain any kind of offensive meaning. Scam is one of the lightest.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    The c*nsor is not overly particular about what it filters and I would dearly love to know who programmed it, in part so I might finally thank them for giving us back 'cave', 'Scooby', and the much missed single letter 'k' and so that I might ask them to release, among others, the perfectly harmless words 'St', 'wan', 'cracker' and 'hoe'. Before any eyebrows are raised the word you may be thinking has no 'e'. Truly. Look it up. That in its often hilarious lunacy it also filters the word 'gay' is just embarrassing and if anything about it is changed this should be first on the list.
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 23.01.13 at 10:38.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    If someone is a scammer, they deserve to be called that. Censorship in general [censored] me off. Only stupid people are offended by internet conversations. Add an option to have a personal filter, so you can filter anything you want, or have the word filter turned off. People can still avoid it with 'clever' use of spaces/dots/other characters. Nuff' said.

TL;DR: Bad idea, OP should go cry in a corner.

Borsek,

Please do not use profanity.

Thank you,
    Sinister-King
    Last edited by Sinister-King; 24.01.13 at 03:56.

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Hello EmperorScruffy,

I'm afraid there's no plans to censor the words you've suggested.

[Thread closed]

Thank you,
    Sinister-King

Closed Thread