Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: [Contest] Create your ideal Settler Town!

World
    Newfoundland
    Hi all,
    I have a favour to ask, can you please provide my a feedback of my movie. I put a lot of efort to it and I would like to see if you all like it.
    Thanks.

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by cricat84 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have a favour to ask, can you please provide my a feedback of my movie. I put a lot of efort to it and I would like to see if you all like it.
    Thanks.
    Hello cricat84,

It looks really good, did you use Maya or Studio Max ?

Good luck,
    Sinister-King

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Hi all,
    Thanks.
    I think it is ((( FAB ))) 10/10..

World
    Sandycove
    Hi all, below you can find my 3d movie clip that's shows my current island in 3d. Hope you'll enjoy it:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24202383@N03/8417052507/
    I'll will attach a link as well just to be sure that the movie is uploaded.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24202383@N03/8417052507/

Thanks

that is cool good luck with the competition

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-King View Post
    Hello cricat84,

It looks really good, did you use Maya or Studio Max ?

Good luck,
    Sinister-King

Hello Sinister-King,
    I used Autodesk 3dsMax and After Effects.

Thank you all for yiur feedback

World
    Sandycove
    Great work cricat84..... and very-very clever idea for promoting tso in other pages too....

Congrats mate!
    At the end.... everything is going to be OK...
    If it's not OK... it's not yet the end...

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle

"A Helping Hand" - a 3D image of helpful settlers!

Here's my entry - it comes with a little story and there are three versions of it to confuse matters. I hope this is still counted as "one entry". If not, I'll delete two of them.

So, what's my take on the ideal Settlers town? It's one where everyone works together to help a soul in need!

Little Billy Barlow was hurrying home from school when he fell down a nearby well. Oh, no! Fortunately it was nearly depleted with a soft muddy bottom so the worst injuries he suffered were a dirty face (not that any 8 year old boy minds that) and wet feet. His cries for help were heard by a passing labourer and Billy was soon overjoyed to see some friendly faces at the top of the well looking back down at him.

Working quickly, the town's settlers found a good strong length of rope and lowered it down to the waiting Billy. Fortunately, Billy was a cub scout and knew his knots, so he could tie the rope securely around his waist ready to be lifted to safety.

The story made it into the local newspaper with the headline "A Helping Hand". The paper's resident artist drew a picture of what it must have been like for Billy to be trapped down the well. To give the picture extra punch, he made it in 3D and special viewing glasses were circulated with the evening edition.

Maybe you have some of those special glasses yourself? If not, there's also a version that you can auto-view in 3D by crossing your eyes in just the right way. Images and full instructions to follow!

Image 1 - the autostereoscopic version

These two images, placed side by side, are slightly different angles of the same scene. You can make them pop out in 3D by looking at them with crossed-eyes.

Tips for viewing in 3D:
    DO NOT SIT TOO CLOSE TO THE SCREEN! It works best for me about 45cm away, but it will depend on your screen size. They closer you are, the more you'll have to work to cross your eyes.

Focus on the ends of the rope. When you cross your eyes, the two ropes should "split" into four. Adust your gaze, keeping your head still, to bring the central two ropes together so that they merge into one. It's easier to do than it is to explain.

When the central ropes have merged together, you'll only be able to see three images and the central image should pop into focus, especially the sky and the settlers standing at the rim of the well. The central image will be in 3D and you'll even be able to move your head gently from side to side.

If you're struggling, here are some more viewing tips http://www.vision3d.com/methd04.html

Image 2 - the Red/Cyan 3D glasses version

Do you remember those old red and cyan 3D glasses. Well, if you've still got a pair, pop them on for a simple 3D experience.

I haven't got a pair myself, so haven't been able to test whether this version of the image acually works. Apologies if it doesn't.

Image 2 - the Green/Magenta 3D glasses version

A slightly newer version of the classic Red/Cyan glasses uses Green and Magenta lenses (it's called TrioScopics 3D). You might have a pair of these lying around if you've bought a 3D film on DVD recently. I got a couple of pairs with my version of Coraline. Again, just pop on the glasses for simple 3D viewing. I've tested this version and it works just fine for me!

Notes and explanations

For those who are interested in this sort of thing, the image of the well, the rope and the sky were created using the POV-Ray raytracer. The well is a mathematically perturbed cylinder, the rope was made using a freely available rope-making macro, the sky is a standard "blue sky" pattern. Lighting was done with two area lights (used to soften shadows): a bright white one at the top of the well (note how brightly lit the rim of the well is) and a dim blue one at the bottom. There is also a subtle radiosity effect to further soften the shadows and to make the sky itself a third source of "light". If you look carefully, you can just about make out a shadow cast by the rope on the left side of the well, without all that area lighting and radiosity, it would have been an unrealistic harsh shadow stretching the full deth of the well.

The camera was focused about a third of the way up the well and the image was rendered twice, with the camera shifted slightly to the right for the second image. Each image took just over 4 hours to render.

The settlers were then added by hand to each image separately being careful to put them in the same relative positions at the top of the well. The images were then layered over one another in Paint Shop Pro (I refuse to pay all that money for Photoshop!) using the "Screen" layer effect. Then, depending on which "eye" the image was for, and which pair of viewing glasses was supposed to be used, different colours were removed from each image while the remaining colours were increased by 30% to account for decreased brightness.

Concerning 3D, some of you (particularly those in the UK who watched the Channel 4 series about 3D a couple of years back) might have some glasses with yellow and blue lenses. These don't seem to work in quite the same way and I could not get the 3D effect to work with them. If you want to know more, look up "Anaglyph"

World
    Newfoundland
    Hey guys, if you need some help uploading your files you can check this thread here for help
    I'm more than likely working right now.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

I decided to paint my perfect town that would be on the cliff surrounded with mountains
    Hope you like it.

World
    Sandycove
    Very nice!

Closed Thread