Reply to Thread

Thread: Some speedup on simple structures

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Thumbs up Some speedup on simple structures

Helloes. I've been playing Settlers for a while and I got to some point where my settlement is expanded and a lot of resources are consumed and produced daily. What I am thinking about is wheat and water, the most consumed resource in the game (from what I see). Now, every morning when I get up I have to refill all of them empty wheat fields and wells and being that I have an economy that focuses on bread and copper I have a lot of wheat fields and wells. It takes me ~ an hour to refresh them all, which in my opinion is kinda too much time spent on a browser game (next to the time I spend anyways).
    I have a few suggestions that could improve this aspect of the game.

Add to the game a mayor (or call it like you want, it's just an example). This unit would be purchased in tavern and it would serve only for 1 thing, either replenishing wells or wheat fields. The mayor should be payed the amount of resources required to replenish all wells or wheat fields that you would need anyway to do it manually (or not,keep reading).
    The amount of time it takes the mayor to replenish any of chosen resources would be equal to the time required to do it manually multiplied by 0.5. So if it takes you 10 minutes manually it should take mayor 15 minutes. Time added should compensate for the action being automatic instead of manual.
    The amount of resources can also be multiplied in order to pay some sort of fee to make that action automatic instead of manual.
    The building queue should (or shouldn't, up to devs) be used for mayors duty. e.g if he has to replenish 3 wheat fields your building queue will be full until he finishes 1 of the building and when he does you can queue another one. If he has more than 3 (lets say 10) you can't be able to queue any other building until he finishes with 8th field.
    Mayor should also have a scroll bar on which you can set how many fields/wells you want refreshed.
    Placement of new fields should be on the same spot as depleted wheat fields are and the level of the field/well should be the same as the depleted one was so that you can spam all level 1 wells if you had them before. An option can be added to mayor to choose weather u want highest level possible fields/wells or you want the same ones you had before.
    This automation of rebuilding the resources would improve the game by speeding up the daily stuff you need to do on your island anyway and I think it wont be game breaking since you still can do all that stuff manually yourself.

Other suggestion.
    Simply make a button that you can click to replace all fields/wells without occupying the building queue. This is a more simple solution but not as flexible as having a special unit that you can create and modify by the needs of players and the game in the future.

I would really like to see this suggestion have some positive feedback both from the players and from the staff since I think this improvement wouldn't unbalance the game.

Now, this is just a suggestion, I came here with an idea to suggest a new unit and came up with specifics of that unit as I wrote so I didn't take much time to think about any balance issues while I wrote, so you are free to make a suggestion/correction to this post in order to get it as perfect as we can and hopefully ingame by the next game update.

Thank you for reading this.
    Duls.

World
    Newfoundland
    Hey Duls, you might want to check out the Silo and Watermill, the Silo refills your wheatfields, so they in theory never run out. The Watermill has an endless supply of water and can be upgraded. Check out the gem shop for the items, very handy if you don't wish to be replacing them everyday!
    I'm more than likely working right now.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yes I am aware of those items being ingame. I have 2 watermills which I got on events which is not nearly enough.
    Anyways, with silo costing 750 gems and watermill costing 895 it would take me sometime to gather the gems up in order to buy just 1 of those. Meaning I would have to play this game for a year just to merely suffice resource refreshing that would match my current production rate and production needs for those resources.
    Not everyone can afford themselves the luxury of paying for browser game currency and I use all the gems I get from logging in daily to buy houses which I also need since adventures tend to require a large amount of troops needed in order to complete them so I must have plenty in reserve. Silo only replaces 1 wheat per cycle per wheat field which means I will need 33 silos on maximum level to suffice the replenishment of wheat for my current production. That means I will need 24750 gems to buy and that will take me 380 weeks to gather with current 65 gems per week. And that's only to match the current production. I really don't have 100 euros to spend on a game since where I come from, people work half a month to get that kind of money... I don't even want to think about watermills.

From your response I can conclude that you wont even consider this suggestion being that it would make those 2 items less worthy. Which leads you to presume their purchase will drop which leads to less gems being spent on them which leads to less gems being bought and you know to what that leads...

I will be leaving the game since with current gem awarding, gem cost on items and the way the resources work I see no point in wasting anymore time on it.
    Thank you for your time and good luck with your online business.

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Duls View Post
    Yes I am aware of those items being ingame. I have 2 watermills which I got on events which is not nearly enough.
    Anyways, with silo costing 750 gems and watermill costing 895 it would take me sometime to gather the gems up in order to buy just 1 of those. Meaning I would have to play this game for a year just to merely suffice resource refreshing that would match my current production rate and production needs for those resources.
    Not everyone can afford themselves the luxury of paying for browser game currency and I use all the gems I get from logging in daily to buy houses which I also need since adventures tend to require a large amount of troops needed in order to complete them so I must have plenty in reserve. Silo only replaces 1 wheat per cycle per wheat field which means I will need 33 silos on maximum level to suffice the replenishment of wheat for my current production. That means I will need 24750 gems to buy and that will take me 380 weeks to gather with current 65 gems per week. And that's only to match the current production. I really don't have 100 euros to spend on a game since where I come from, people work half a month to get that kind of money... I don't even want to think about watermills.

From your response I can conclude that you wont even consider this suggestion being that it would make those 2 items less worthy. Which leads you to presume their purchase will drop which leads to less gems being spent on them which leads to less gems being bought and you know to what that leads...

I will be leaving the game since with current gem awarding, gem cost on items and the way the resources work I see no point in wasting anymore time on it.
    Thank you for your time and good luck with your online business.
    Hello Duls,

Silos and Watermills can also be bought from other players via trade office for coins, granite etc.

Best,
    Sinister-King

Last edited by Sinister-King; 24.01.13 at 21:38.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    1) Moderators are not BB employees, just players volunteering.
    2) he just pointed out some alternatives
    3) Silos and watermills can and have been acquired in large quantities by players at events from event reward items
    4) Many people sell their event/free gift or gem bought silos and watermills for in game items- no investments in real life money needed to acquire them in large enough quantities- just some patience, focus and smart trading is needed to get these items
    5) to focus your gameplay around gems and free gem weekly rewards severely limits you in your gameplay and you will miss many opportunities in game. Many players play gem free for the additional challenge and do very well at it- often much better than people that focus on gameplay through gems to make things "easier"

So there are alternatives- just look for em and acept that some things will be harder without buying gems but harder in this game means slightly more time spent. Wise trading/adventuring will get you a lot more than simple gem pushing will (and ofc you can not beat someone to the punch that does exactly that AND buys gems- but on the whole with smart gameplay you can outplay mindless gembuyers easy enough and level to max level fast enough as well. One hint, save the gems you get for license buying, that will give you the most bang for the buck or gem in this case :P

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    If you suffer from repetitive strain injury and clicking a mouse is more than just a chore, the suggestion is more than a little appealing.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Was thinking along similar lines but Duls has thought it through much better than me. Definately 1 vote from me to support his idea.

Reply to Thread